The online news portal of TV5
MANILA, Philippines - The Supreme Court (SC) has denied the request of the Commission on Human Rights (CHR) for a copy of the documents pertaining to the disappearance of activist Jonas Burgos.
In an en banc resolution signed by Clerk of Court Atty. Enriqueta Vidal, the SC denied the request of the CHR to obtain photocopies of the following documents:
-- Summary of Information (SOI) of the officers and enlisted personnel of the Philippine Army’s 56th Infantry Battalion, 7th Infantry Division from January 1, 2004 until June 30, 2007;
-- SOI of the intelligence operatives involved in “Erap 5” incident; and,
-- SOI of 2nd Lt. Fernando, who was a member of the Army’s 56th IB, 7th ID.
Earlier, CHR Commissioner Jose Manuel Mamauag, team leader of the CHR Special Investigation Team, asked that they be furnished with the copy of the said documents so that they can comply with the directive of the SC as contained in its October 24, 2011 resolution.
However, the SC said that such documents cannot be furnished to the CHR because they are confidential in nature.
The SC also said that the strong connection of the documents with the Burgos abduction case cannot yet be established.
Burgos was abducted at the Hapag Kainan Restaurant in Ever Gotesco Mall in Quezon City on April 28, 2007 and has remained missing since then.
Burgos was allegedly loaded in a Toyota Revo, the car plate of which was found in another vehicle which was impounded at the Army’s 56th Infantry Battalion camp in Norzagaray, Bulacan.