TODAY'S HEADLINES

Nancy, Grace want Abad to account for missing P90-B 'savings' 25-Jul-14, 6:25 PM | Ernie Reyes, InterAksyon.com

EU High Representative Ashton visiting Philippines 25-Jul-14, 12:11 PM | InterAksyon.com

IMF cuts 2014 global growth forecast, sees rising risks 25-Jul-14, 8:17 AM | Jeremy Tordjman, Agence France-Presse

Phivolcs discovers dangerous earthquake zones in La Union 25-Jul-14, 4:13 AM | Philippine News Agency

UN rights panel tells Japan to compensate 'comfort women' 25-Jul-14, 5:47 AM | Stephanie Nebehay, Reuters

LRTA Board clears award of LRT1 Cavite Extension Project to Ayala-MPIC tandem 25-Jul-14, 12:23 PM | Darwin G. Amojelar, InterAksyon.com

World

Four charged over Danish newspaper 'massacre plot'

InterAksyon.com
The online news portal of TV5

COPENHAGEN -- Danish prosecutors have charged four men for "attempted terrorism" over plans to kill the staff of a newspaper that carried controversial cartoons of the Prophet Mohammed, a judicial statement said Friday.

The four men, all residents of Sweden and arrested on December 29, 2010, had planned to "kill a large number of people" at the Jyllands-Posten daily, it said.

Judge Elisabet Michelsen said the trial would start on April 13. The accused are a 44-year-old Tunisian, a Swede of Lebanese origin aged 29, a 30-year-old Swede, and a Swede of Tunisian origin aged 37.

Jyllands-Posten published a dozen cartoons in 2005 of the Prophet Mohammed that triggered violent and sometimes deadly protests around the world.

Three of the four men arrived in Copenhagen on December 29, 2010 in a rented car from Stockholm. They planned to storm the office of the newspaper, located in the heart of the capital, and "kill as many people as possible".

Danish police who had been collaborating with their Swedish counterparts and had been wiretapping the men, arrested them just after hearing them say they were "going to" the newspaper office.

 

OTHER WORLD STORIES
BREAKING NEWS