TODAY'S HEADLINES

WATCH | Army chief Año is new AFP chief, pledges loyalty to Duterte 07-Dec-16, 11:39 AM | Jaime Sinapit, InterAksyon.com | With News5 Video Report by Maricel Halili

Duterte won't abandon Marcos et.al despite NBI findings they murdered Espinosa 07-Dec-16, 7:11 PM | Ernie Reyes, InterAksyon.com | JV Arcena, News5

Indonesia quake toll jumps to 97 as more bodies found in rubble 07-Dec-16, 7:05 AM | Chaideer Mahyuddin, Agence France-Presse

SPECIAL REPORT | Burying the Truth: A family challenges the official story of a drug war death 08-Dec-16, 6:56 AM | Clare Baldwin, Andrew R.C. Marshall and Damir Sagolj, Reuters

WATCH | X-ray technician presented as 3rd suspect in US embassy bomb scare 07-Dec-16, 1:12 PM | Perfecto T. Raymundo, Philippine News Agency | Ryan Ang, News5

Najib destroying Malaysia, ‘has to be removed’ - Mahathir 07-Dec-16, 1:19 PM | M Jegathesan, Agence France-Presse

Some Miss U candidates to arrive in PHL on Friday for kickoff party 07-Dec-16, 9:16 PM | Azer N. Parrocha, Philippines News Agency

World

Saudi Arabia starts trial vs 50 Al-Qaeda suspects

InterAksyon.com
The online news portal of TV5

RIYADH - The trial opened in Saudi Arabia on Saturday of 50 Al-Qaeda suspects accused of carrying out and plotting attacks in the kingdom, including US and British interests, state news agency SPA reported.

It said 47 Saudis, two Syrians and a Yemeni national went on trial in the specialised criminal court in Riyadh.

They are accused of "joining a terror cell in the country belonging to Al-Qaeda terrorist network, plotting ... to blow up" residential compounds and a public building, and killing an American citizen.

They also face charges of plotting to "blow up the US and British embassies in Riyadh, planning to assassinate a top Saudi state official and top security officers, as well as opening fire on security forces," SPA reported.

The defendants, five of whom appeared in court on Saturday, allegedly possessed weapons and smuggled heavy arms from Iraq into the kingdom "to serve the terrorist network," it added.

In June last year, 85 suspects facing similar charges also went on trial in a special Saudi security court.

In April 2011, a judicial source said 5,080 terror suspects either faced trial or had already been tried before the special court which has come in for criticism from lawyers.

Saudi Arabia was the target of a wave of deadly attacks by Al-Qaeda between 2003 and 2006, prompting authorities to launch a crackdown on the local branch of the jihadist network.

Al-Qaeda remains active in neighbouring Yemen, where the Saudi and Yemeni franchises of Al-Qaeda has joined forces under the banner of Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula.

It is classified by the United States as the most active branch of the global terror network.

advertisement
OTHER WORLD STORIES
BREAKING NEWS