The online news portal of TV5
MANILA, Philippines - Vice President Jejomar C. Binay on Wednesday condemned the threats made against an official of the Home Development Mutual Fund (Pag-IBIG) who filed the criminal case against property firm Globe Asiatique (GA).
Binay said Pag-IBIG Deputy CEO Emma Faria, one of the signatories in the complaint against GA, received threats to her life sent through text messages.
“I condemn this act in the strongest possible terms. I urge the PNP and the NBI to take immediate steps to protect Emma Faria and unmask those behind these threats,” Binay said.
According to Binay, Faria first received a death threat when the Department of Justice (DOJ) issued a decision against GA. She received another one after the Court of Appeals (CA) reversed the Temporary Restraining Order stopping Pag-IBIG from pursuing the case against GA.
“Ms faria matapang ka talaga well ok galingan mo lang ang pagiingat baka ma one time ka hero ka na talaga,” the text said.
Last week, the CA allowed the filing of syndicated estafa charges against Delfin Lee and his co-accused. This was after Judge Rolando Mislang of Pasig Regional Trial Court Branch 167 issued a preliminary injunction stopping the DoJ from filing the information for syndicated estafa against Lee, his son Dexter and three others in September last year.
The DOJ had previously recommended the filing of syndicated estafa charges against Lee and several others after an investigation ordered by Binay revealed that GA used "ghost borrowers" and fake documents to obtain over P6.5 billion in loans from Pag-IBIG.
Binay said they will continue to “vigilantly monitor” the progress of the case against Lee. He also said the threats will not deter Pag-IBIG from continuing with the case against GA.
“We will continue to vigilantly monitor the case and assist the Department of Justice in whatever possible way to ensure that Delfin Lee and his co-accused will face justice,” he added.