The online news portal of TV5
MANILA, Philippines -- President Benigno Aquino III has ordered the Department of Interior and Local Government to submit a comprehensive security plan for the 2013 midterm polls by May 21. Interior chief Jesse Robredo said the plan would include course of action to dismantle around 80 existing private armies across the country, most of which are operating in Mindanao.
“It will be a comprehensive security plan. It will already include election hot spots and a list of contending parties (that can result in potential violent acts),” Robredo said.
“We hope to be able to dismantle these 80 private armies before next year’s elections, or remove their influence if not dismantle them completely,” he added.
Last month, Aquino ordered the Philippine National Police to work double time in dismantling private armies ahead of the mid-term polls.
Records showed a total of 28 private armies had been dismantled with 106 suspects arrested last year.
As of November 30, the PNP listed a total of 86 private armies with 1,781 members nationwide in their watch list.