The online news portal of TV5
Hotels within Metro Manila have yet to feel the pinch of Chinese state media's recent announcement that their travel agencies are cancelling all tours to the Philippines.
So far, Dusit Thani Manila has not cancelled any bookings since the announcement of tour cancellations were made on Thursday, Leizel Ventosa, the hotel's assistant public relations manager, told InterAksyon.com.
The establishment's Chinese clientele is not as big as its Japanese and Thai guests, she added.
"We're more of a business hotel anyway so we don't see it affecting us so far," she said.
Crowne Plaza Manila Galleria and Holiday Inn are in a similar situation, saying that bookings remain intact as of Friday morning.
"The impact to us is not that big since most of our Chinese clients are businessmen and our clientele is skewed more toward the Korean market," Aimee Lagman, PR and marketing communications officer of the two hotels said.
Ayala Land Inc., the owner and operator of Hotel Intercon Manila and Cebu Marriott, said it has not been affected so far by the tourism setback and is still enjoying high occupancy rates.
Resorts World Manila, an entertainment and hotel complex in Newport City that count Chinese tourists as one of its major markets for its casino business, similarly has not yet seen cancellations from these prospective visitors.
Hotels offering accomodations at lower prices have also confirmed to InterAksyon.com that "no-show" and cancellations were not seen so far this week.
Cherry Blossoms Hotel said there has not been a significant drop in its Chinese guests and sees that the move by their tour operators would not hurt it that much since its main clients are the Japanese.
The same goes for CityState Tower Hotel and The Manila Grand Opera, which is frequented by Chinese-Filipinos.
"What we experience is the drop in Korean guests since the North Korean missile launch. They have not come back yet," The Manila Grand Opera bookings and sales officer, said.
On Thursday, the Chinese state media reported that their tour operators have halted visits to the Philippines and are not accepting bookings until the tensions over disputed islands in the South China Sea are over.
Rallies to protest China's incursions into disputed territory in the South China Sea, which Manila calls the West Philippine Sea, are expected to be held Friday.
The protest organizers plan to hold similar actions in various Chinese embassies and consulates in the US, Canada, Australia, Italy and other Asian capitals.