The online news portal of TV5
MANILA, Philippines - Court Administrator Jose Midas Marquez, whose high-profile role during the nearly five-month trial of Chief Justice Renato Corona had drawn fears the court’s resources might be used inappropriately, is no longer the spokesperson of the Supreme Court.
Acting SC Spokesperson Gleo Guerra said Marquez believed that he has been overstaying as head of the SC PIO.
The SC PIO is under the Office of the Chief Justice. Once a Chief Justice retires and another one is appointed, it will be up to the new SC chief whether or not to retain the Office of the SC-PIO.
Corona’s conviction, on a 20-3 vote by senator-judges on Tuesday, resulted in a penalty of removal from office, which the Senate said was immediately executory.
On Wednesday, after an en banc meeting, the high court said Senior Associate Justice Antonio Carpio, Corona’s nemesis, had been appointed “acting chief justice.”
Meanwhile, Guerra said Marquez opted to concentrate on his other function as head of the Supreme Court's Office of the Court Administrator.
As head of the OCAD, Marquez supervises justices, judges and court personnel all over the country. This sensitive role drew fears that the mass actions taken by court personnel when Corona was under attack were made possible only because of Marquez’s powers and access to resources. He has strongly denied such insinuations.