The online news portal of TV5
NAIROBI - A Filipino aid worker and his three colleagues kidnapped in Kenya were released overnight in southern Somalia after a short gunfight, Kenyan army officials said Monday.
"They are safe in our hands, they have been freed," said Kenyan army spokesman Cyrus Oguna. Somali commanders also confirmed the hostages, seized on Friday in the Dadaab refugee camp, had been released.
In Manila, the Department of Foreign Affairs confirmed the report. According to DFA spokesman Raul Hernandez, Philippine Ambassador to Kenya Domingo Lucenario called in to say that the Norwegian Refugee Council told him that Glenn Costes and his companions "were recovered in the Kenya-Somalia border, are safe, and are now on their way to Nairobi."
Ambassador Lucenario will meet with Costes, who will undergo a medical checkup and debriefing before being sent back to the Philippines.