The online news portal of TV5
MANILA, Philippines - Controversial Cambodian Ambassador to the Philippines Hos Sereythonh on Friday left Manila quietly with his family, without explaining his non-appearance at a meeting called by Philippine officials asking him to explain his remarks against the Philippine government.
Sereythonh boarded PAL flight PR 597 to Tan Son Nhat International Airport in Saigon Viet Nam at 1:10 pm Friday.
In a planeside interview, Sereythonh told InterAksyon.com he hoped to be back in the Philippines with his family, adding, “ I love the Philippines and hope to be back for a vacation with my family.”
He refused to answer questions regarding his failure to heed the summons of the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) regarding his controversial letter published in a Manila newspaper last month. He accused the Philippines and Vietnam of playing "dirty politics" in their territorial row with China during the foreign ministers’ meeting of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations in Phnom Penh.
He was sent off at the NAIA Terminal 2 by Cambodian ministry officials, escorted by NAIA airport police instead of the usual DFA protocol officers---the regular practice observed when sending off or receiving foreign dignitaries coming to Manila.
Sereythonh was summoned to appear at the Department of Foreign Affairs Office last August 13, 2012 to receive a note verbale issued by DFA and to explain his allegations on the issue. He failed to appear and instead sent the Cambodian embassy’s Second Secretary Tan Chandaravuth to represent him because of health reasons.
DFA said Cambodia is recalling its ambassador to Manila but no reason was given for his immediate departure.
On Wednesday, DFA Secretary Albert del Rosario hinted that a female ambassador occupying an assistant secretary position in the Cambodian Foreign Ministry is a possible replacement for Sereythonh.