The online news portal of TV5
MANILA, Philippines -- The city government of Pasay on Saturday assured the United States government of the safety of its nationals and diplomats in the city following a warning issued by the US embassy on Friday.
“The safety of US diplomats and staff at the embassy compound in Pasay is foremost in our minds. Thus, we have instructed our local police force to augment the police units assigned in the said area,” Mayor Antonino Calixto said in a statement.
In an "Emergency Message to US Citizens," the US embassy said "reliable security forces" have detected a threat against Americans in the National Capital Region, specifically Pasay City.
The embassy said the threat warning will remain in effect until October 10.
However, Calixto said the Pasay police have not monitored any specific threat to US diplomats and nationals residing in the city.
“We have not received nor monitored any specific threat to US diplomats and citizens residing here in Pasay, nevertheless, we have doubled security measures in the city, 24/7 especially in areas where foreigners, including American nationals tend to congregate,” Calixto said.
Aside from the embassy’s Seafront Compound in Pasay, security measures were also redoubled at the US Veteran Affairs Office in the City.
Last week, Pasay launched a 35-man Special Tourist Police unit backed by 40 auxiliaries that will be deployed to places where people converge, such as the Mall of Asia and hotels. (Clara Masinag, InterAksyon.com)