RH BILL FACT SHEET | Key provisions of House Bill 4244
The online news portal of TV5
House Bill 4244 - "An Act Providing for a Comprehensive Policy on Responsible Parenthood, Reproductive Health and Population and Development" - won with a slim margin of 113-104 vote, on the first time it advanced to the second reading since it was first filed more than 15 years ago.
Among the salient provisions of the bill are the following:
- The State guarantees public access to and relevant information and education on medically safe, legal, ethical, affordable, effective and quality reproductive health care services, methods, devices and supplies which do not prevent implantation of a fertilized ovum in the uterus as determined by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
- The State shall likewise prioritize the needs of poor women and men in marginalized households as identified by the National Household Targeting System for Poverty Reduction (NHTS-PR) and other government measures of identifying marginalization, who shall be voluntary beneficiaries of reproductive health care, services and supplies for free.
- The State shall also provide funding support to promote modern-natural methods of family planning consistent with the needs of acceptors.
- The State shall promote openness to life, provided that parents bring forth to the world only those children that they can raise in a truly humane way.
- There shall be no demographic and population targets and the mitigation, promotion and/or stabilization of the population growth rate are incidental to the advancement of reproductive health and sustainable human development.
- The teaching of reproductive health and sexuality education shall be promoted and conducted with due deference to cultural, religious and ethical norms of various communities.
- The FDA shall update the Philippine National Drug Formulary (PNDF) with respect to modern family planning products and supplies in accordance with standard medical practice.