TODAY'S HEADLINES

Budget deficit narrows at start of 2H as gov't spending fails to pick up 29-Aug-14, 1:55 PM | Rain Castro, InterAksyon.com

De Lima orders raps vs ex-Davao del Sur gov, mayor for journalist's murder 29-Aug-14, 9:50 AM | Brian Maglungsod, InterAksyon.com

CITIZEN MANILA | Tattoo artist Joel Ricafort, 35, and his living canvas 29-Aug-14, 10:32 AM | Text and photos by Bernard Testa | Lifestyle Section, InterAksyon.com

National

Cebu district hospital remains unused one year after inauguration

InterAksyon.com
The online news portal of TV5

CEBU CITY, Philippines - The 100-room Carcar Provincial Hospital in Carcar City in southern Cebu has remained unused more than one year after it was inaugurated on Aug. 20, 2009.

The Cebu Provincial Engineering Office will submit next week the fire safety requirements to the city’s Office of the Building Official.

Cebu provincial engineer Eulogio Pelayre said the structure was ready but they need to comply with the new code that requires all medical facilities to have a fire alarm system.

He said it does not necessarily mean that when a structure was turned over to the local government unit, it can already be used.

He said they also cannot pressure the Carcar City government to release their fire-safety permit because they were not under the province. As a component city, Carcar is under the national government.

“We will submit the requirements next week,” he said.

The provincial government upgraded the 10-bed Carcar District Hospital into a provincial hospital, making it the first hospital located in the province that has 100 beds.

Its construction began in December 2006. In January 2009, Cebu Governor Gwendolyn Garcia warned its contractor to have the facility ready by March that year or the contract would be terminated. She said the construction was already delayed.

Pelayre said the province is still working on the issuance of the occupancy permit and the number of personnel to be employed in the hospital.

Integrated Provincial Health Office chief Cristina Giango said they are waiting for Pelayre’s office to correct all deficiencies in the structure so they will have it inspected by the Department of Health (DoH).

At present, the hospital only serves outpatients. It has not admitted stay-in patients yet after it was turned over in August 2009.

For this year, the province aims to upgrade its district hospitals, with a bigger allocation for it in the current executive budget.

There are 16 hospitals in the province, with the Balamban Provincial Hospital having the highest increase in allocation.

Last year, Capitol allocated P9.6 million for the Balamban hospital. It increased the budget to P60.3 million this year.

Second in the list was Carcar. From last year’s P7.2 million, it will receive P55.6 million this year.

Bogo’s hospital enjoyed the third largest allocation, at P21.2 million last year to P65.7 million this year.

Danao City’s district hospital will have a budget of P62.5 million compared to last year’s P22.9 million.

Salaries and wages account for most of the hospitals’ expenses.

District hospitals used to be operated by the national government until they were turned over to the province when the Local Government Code took effect in 1992.

OTHER NATIONAL STORIES
BREAKING NEWS