World's deadliest nightclub blazes since 2000
The online news portal of TV5
Here is a list of major infernos in nightclubs and bars around the world since 2000:
- December 25, 2000: A fire tears through a shopping centre and disco in the central Chinese city of Luoyang, killing 309 people.
- December 1, 2002: 50 dead in a nightclub blaze in the Venezuelan capital Caracas.
- February 20, 2003: 100 dead and 200 injured in a nightclub in the US state of Rhode Island.
- December 31, 2004: 194 dead and 375 injured in a nightclub fire in the Argentine capital Buenos Aires.
- September 20, 2008: 44 dead in a nightclub blaze in Shenzhen, southern China, after a fireworks stunt went wrong.
- January 1, 2009: 66 revellers ringing in the New Year are killed after fireworks set a Bangkok club ablaze.
- December 4, 2009: 20 dead in a fire at a karaoke club in Medan in Indonesia's North Sumatra province.
- December 5, 2009: 155 dead in a disco fire in the Russian town of Perm, some 1,200 kilometres (750 miles) east of Moscow.
- January 27, 2013: At least 245 people dead and dozens more injured after a blaze tears through the "Kiss" nightclub in the southern Brazilian city of Santa Maria.