TODAY'S HEADLINES

After 53 days, Abu Sayyaf free kidnapped engineer in Jolo 20-Apr-14, 10:53 AM | Agence France-Presse

LPA spotted in Pacific Ocean, expected to enter PAR on Monday - Pagasa 20-Apr-14, 11:05 AM | Philippines News Agency

GUESS: Which country is the world's second largest banana exporter? 20-Apr-14, 7:27 AM | Philippines News Agency

First bodies pulled from submerged Korean ferry 20-Apr-14, 2:19 AM | Park Chan-Kyong, Agence France-Presse

RUBOUT | DOJ recommends multiple murder raps vs Melad, Marantan for Atimonan slays

This videograb from a TV5 newscast shows one of the bullet-riddled vehicles of the 13 victims of what the DOJ now concludes was an outright execution, and not a shootout in Atimonan.

InterAksyon.com
The online news portal of TV5

MANILA, Philippines -- (UPDATE - 4:23 p.m.) The Department of Justice has recommended the filing of multiple murder charges against Chief Supt. James Melad, Supt. Hansel Marantan and several others for the Jan. 6, 2013 killing of 13 people at a supposed checkpoint in Atimonan, Quezon, Deputy Presidential Spokesperson Abigail Valte said Wednesday.

The DOJ report of its inquiry was released by Malacanang, with the most telling detail: per the findings of the National Bureau of Investigation,  no shootout took place as the officers of the composite police-military team claimed,  and that the victims were in fact summarily executed.

The Quezon police had earlier claimed they had gunned down 13 members of a robbery syndicate who engaged them in a shootout as they were flagged down at a checkpoint. The most prominent fatality was Victor Siman, a local businessman who had been suspected of being an illegal gambling lord.

The Philippine National Police and Armed Forces of the Philippines said they respected the filing of the charges.

PNP spokesman Chief Superintendent Generoso Cerbo Jr. said all of the policemen involved in the Atimonan incident are accounted for in Camp Crame.

He added the PNP is willing to immediately turn them over to the DOJ if needed.

Superintendent Hansel Marantan remains confined at the PNP General Hospital.

Cerbo said the administrative case against the officers is already underway.

"We hope the PNP will emerge as a better organization after this," he said.

The accused:

PNP

  • C/Supt. James Andres Melad
  • Supt Hansel Marantan
  • S/Insp. John Paolo Carracedo
  • SPO1 Arturo Sarmiento
  • Supt. Ramon Balauag
  • S/Insp. Timoteo Orig
  • SPO3 Joselito De Guzman
  • SPO1 Carlo Cataquiz
  • PO3 Eduardo Oronan
  • PO2 Nelson Indal
  • PO2 Al Bhazar Jailani
  • PO1 Wryan Sardea
  • PO1 Rodel Talento
  • Chief Insp Grant Gollod
  • Insp Ferdinand Aguilar
  • Insp Evaristo San Juan
  • PO3 Benedict Dimayuga
  • PO2 Ronnie Serdena
  • PO1 Esperidion Corpuz Jr.
  • PO1 Bermie De Leon 
  • PO1 Allen Ayubo

AFP:

  • Lt. Col. Monico Abang (Battalion Cmdr)
  • Capt. Erwin Macalinao (cmdg Officer)
  • 1Lt Rico Tagure
  • TSgt Melanio Balauitan
  • Cpl Clark Mag-usara
  • Pfc Michael Franco
  • Pfc Kirby-Tam Coronel
  • PFC Alvin Roque Pabon
  • Pfc Ricky Jay Borja
  • Pfc Melvin Lumalang
  • Pfc Gil Gallego
  • PVT Mark Zaldy Docdoc
  • PVT Emergin Barrete
  • PVT Michard Mangao

 

 

 

OTHER NATIONAL STORIES
BREAKING NEWS