PH embassy personnel to stay in Cairo amid Egyptian army coup
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA, Philippines - Malacañang will not withdraw the country's embassy personnel from Egypt following the ouster of President Mohammed Morsi in a coup.
"The Department of Foreign Affairs has not changed its position. Our embassy personnel will remain. Our first priority is to ensure the safety of our fellow Filipinos there," presidential spokesman Edwin Lacierda said in a briefing aired over state-run Radyo ng Bayan on Wednesday.
"We continue to request our Filipinos in Egypt to avoid going to areas where there is conflict," Lacierda added.
The United States has already ordered most of its personnel to evacuate its embassy in Cairo, leaving just a skeleton staff behind.
US President Barack Obama said he was "deeply concerned" over Morsi's ouster, and that Washington will review the legal implications of the development in so far as US aid to Egypt is concerned.
Lacierda, however, refused to comment when asked if the Philippines supported Morsi's ouster.
"Number one, we do not wish to get into the political situation—internal situation in Egypt. Our first and foremost consideration is the safety of our fellow Filipinos in Egypt. So that is what the post in Egypt is monitoring," the Palace official added.
Earlier, Reuters reported thatEgypt's army deployed tanks and troops close to the presidential palace in Cairo on Wednesday after a military deadline for Islamist President Mohamed Mursi to yield to street protests passed without any agreement.