TODAY'S HEADLINES

Tropical depression outside PHL intensifies into storm - PAGASA 31-Oct-14, 3:55 PM | Philippines News Agency

UNDAS 2014 | Red Cross, Rescue5 mobilize for weekend public services 31-Oct-14, 4:36 PM | InterAksyon.com | Philippines News Agency

Homophobic MP urges Russia to ban gay Apple boss 31-Oct-14, 9:31 PM | Agence France-Presse

WEEKEND GUIDE | Oct. 31-Nov. 2: Halloween parties everywhere 31-Oct-14, 10:30 AM | Lifestyle Section, InterAksyon.com

National

Napoles transferred to Makati City Jail from Crame

A vehicle of the Bureau of Jail Management and Penology enters the tightly guard Makati City Jail, where Janet Lim-Napoles, accused of engineering the P10-billion pork barrel scam, is detained. (photo by Bernard Testa, InterAksyon.com)

InterAksyon.com
The online news portal of TV5

MANILA, Philippines - Businesswoman Janet Lim-Napoles was transferred to the Makati City Jail Thursday night from the PNP national headquarters in Camp Crame where she was initially detained following her surrender to President Benigno Aquino III on Wednesday night.

“After conducting complete medical examination on her as mandated by the court, we have transferred Napoles to the Makati City Jail,” Interior Secretary Manuel Roxas II said.

Napoles was moved from Camp Crame under heavy security, with elite police escorting the convoy.

Philippine National Police Director General Alan Purisima said they will be providing 24/7 security to Napoles at the jail where she will be segregated from the other inmates.

Napoles' lawyer Lorna Kapunan described the room where she is being kept as a small, airconditioned office with a sofa and small desk, and a toilet.

"We're not complaining about the comfort. . . . Comfort is the least of our worries. Security is our main concern, and we're satisfied about the security so far," Kapunan said.

Her husband was allowed to stay with Napoles overnight, added Kapunan, but no mobile phones are allowed. They may be visited by their lawyers daily.

Kapunan said Napoles is a diabetic, and her having run out of her medicine was among the things that pressured her to surrender.

But it was really the risk to her life, caused by the many myths spun about her, that left her with no choice, said Kapunan. She reiterated what she had earlier told InterAksyon.com, that the floating of an announcement encouraging a "citizen's arrest," talk of a bounty, and worst of all, the yarn that she was armed and dangerous and had a private army, all made her anxious about her security--as if she was being set up for the kill.

On Friday, Judge Elmo Almeda of the Makati City Regional Trial Court Branch 150 will hear two urgent motions filed Thursday by Napoles's camp: the first asking the judge to inhibit himself from the case; and the second, seeking her detention at either Camp Bagong Diwa or Crame--and not the Makati city jail where she feels unsafe.

Earlier, Roxas inspected the Makati City Jail prior to Napoles’ transfer.

Roxas said authorities checked on the actual area where Napoles, tagged in the alleged P10-billion "pork barrel" scam, would be detained to ensure her safety.

"We just want to be sure that she is safe," said Roxas during an earlier broadcast interview.

The DILG assured that Napoles will be brought to the Makati City Jail in compliance with the commitment order issued by Judge Almeda.

Aside from Roxas, Purisima and top officials of the Bureau of Jail Management and Penology went to the Makati City Jail to check on the facility.

Roxas noted that one of the woman-detainees at the Makati City Jail was a former household help of Napoles whom she charged with qualified theft.

Napoles voluntarily surrendered to President Benigno Aquino III on Wednesday night, or hours after the P10-million reward offer was issued by the Chief Executive.

OTHER NATIONAL STORIES
BREAKING NEWS