President Aquino off to Tacloban, Capiz to oversee 'Yolanda' relief efforts
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA -- President Benigno Aquino III flew to Tacloban City, Leyte Sunday morning to visit the victims of super typhoon Yolanda and to oversee rescue, relief, and rehabilitation efforts.
In a media advisory sent by the Presidential Communications Operations Office, Aquino left at 8:40 a.m. from the Villamor Air Base.
In Tacloban, the President will distribute relief goods and afterwards will be briefed by local officials and Cabinet secretaries on the disaster operations.
Tacloban is reported to be one of the hardest-hit areas by Yolanda.
After his visit in Tacloban, he will proceed to Barangay Culasi in Roxas City, Capiz also to distribute relief goods.
He will also meet with local officials at the Capiz Provincial Capitol.
Seven Cabinet members accompanied the President: Defense Secretary Voltaire Gazmin, Interior and Local Government Secretary Mar Roxas, Social Welfare and Development Secretary Dinky Soliman, Public Works and Highways Secretary Rogelio Singson, Energy Secretary Jericho Petilla, Transportation and Communication Secretary Emilio Abaya, and Cabinet Secretary Rene Almendras.
- Philippine stocks return above 8,100-level after Japan launches stimulus package 2 hours ago
- Japanese police raid house of knife attack suspect 2 hours ago
- DOST agenda: Cut disaster risk, distribute wealth, maximize tech use 2 hours ago
- Drilon, JV file bill granting emergency powers to Duterte to solve traffic crisis 3 hours ago
- NUJP demands investigation of PDEA harassment on Iloilo reporter 3 hours ago
- HELLO, DOLLY | Research shows clones of sheep age well 3 hours ago
- Kerry: US avoiding 'confrontation' in sea row 3 hours ago
- Erap vows justice for biker slain in Quiapo road rage, city scholar hit by stray bullet 4 hours ago
- SC reverses 2015 ruling vs GMO field trials 5 hours ago
- Filipino math wizards place 2nd overall in Thailand 5 hours ago
- PHOTO | All living PHL presidents reunited at Palace for NSC meeting 5 hours ago
- WATCH | 'Paano ba maging bayani'? Patriot Bartolome Pasion buried at Libingan ng mga Bayani 6 hours ago
- Emergency power sought by Duterte must be 'FOI-compliant' - Recto 7 hours ago
- Ombudsman to receive Magsaysay Award 7 hours ago
- Charge onion smugglers for economic sabotage, group urges Customs' Faeldon 8 hours ago