President Aquino off to Tacloban, Capiz to oversee 'Yolanda' relief efforts
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA -- President Benigno Aquino III flew to Tacloban City, Leyte Sunday morning to visit the victims of super typhoon Yolanda and to oversee rescue, relief, and rehabilitation efforts.
In a media advisory sent by the Presidential Communications Operations Office, Aquino left at 8:40 a.m. from the Villamor Air Base.
In Tacloban, the President will distribute relief goods and afterwards will be briefed by local officials and Cabinet secretaries on the disaster operations.
Tacloban is reported to be one of the hardest-hit areas by Yolanda.
After his visit in Tacloban, he will proceed to Barangay Culasi in Roxas City, Capiz also to distribute relief goods.
He will also meet with local officials at the Capiz Provincial Capitol.
Seven Cabinet members accompanied the President: Defense Secretary Voltaire Gazmin, Interior and Local Government Secretary Mar Roxas, Social Welfare and Development Secretary Dinky Soliman, Public Works and Highways Secretary Rogelio Singson, Energy Secretary Jericho Petilla, Transportation and Communication Secretary Emilio Abaya, and Cabinet Secretary Rene Almendras.
- Comelec disenfranchises 7.2 million voters for 2016 elections, says Sen. Loren 5 hours ago
- VIDEO | LTO still requiring NBI, police clearance despite DOTC withdrawal of order 5 hours ago
- VIDEO | DOH: Antibiotic misuse may lead to antimicrobial resistance 5 hours ago
- Poverty fuels conflict and terrorism, Pope warns on landmark Africa trip 6 hours ago
- Russia says downing of its jet won't deflect it from Syria mission 7 hours ago
- IRONY IN PARIS CLIMATE TALKS | COP21 powered by coal 7 hours ago
- Comelec on Poe DQ cases: We won't be influenced by SET decision 7 hours ago
- Cebu Pacific announces first US destination 7 hours ago
- Soldiers in full battle gear enter Burgos farm, raising alarm among kin of missing activist 8 hours ago
- VIDEO | Mandaluyong fire leaves more than 900 families homeless 9 hours ago
- Facebook user Phuc Dat Bich says name is a 'prank' 10 hours ago
- VIDEO | QC police seize 3 kilos of shabu worth P9M from two suspects 12 hours ago
- Flooding brings Qatar to near standstill 12 hours ago
- 2015 set to be hottest year on record: UN 12 hours ago
- US raises military aid to Philippines amid sea tension with China 13 hours ago