President Aquino off to Tacloban, Capiz to oversee 'Yolanda' relief efforts
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA -- President Benigno Aquino III flew to Tacloban City, Leyte Sunday morning to visit the victims of super typhoon Yolanda and to oversee rescue, relief, and rehabilitation efforts.
In a media advisory sent by the Presidential Communications Operations Office, Aquino left at 8:40 a.m. from the Villamor Air Base.
In Tacloban, the President will distribute relief goods and afterwards will be briefed by local officials and Cabinet secretaries on the disaster operations.
Tacloban is reported to be one of the hardest-hit areas by Yolanda.
After his visit in Tacloban, he will proceed to Barangay Culasi in Roxas City, Capiz also to distribute relief goods.
He will also meet with local officials at the Capiz Provincial Capitol.
Seven Cabinet members accompanied the President: Defense Secretary Voltaire Gazmin, Interior and Local Government Secretary Mar Roxas, Social Welfare and Development Secretary Dinky Soliman, Public Works and Highways Secretary Rogelio Singson, Energy Secretary Jericho Petilla, Transportation and Communication Secretary Emilio Abaya, and Cabinet Secretary Rene Almendras.
- UAE, Bahrain lose 45 troops on black day for Yemen coalition 6 hours from now
- Chinese naval ships headed home after Bering Sea sighting: US Navy 5 hours from now
- Syrian toddler's drowning sparks surge of donations across Europe 5 hours from now
- Islamic State blows up tower tombs in Syria's Palmyra: antiquities chief 4 hours from now
- Muddled US jobs report leaves Fed in a 'jam' watching markets 4 hours from now
- Inflation dips to all-time low of 0.6% in August 3 hours from now
- VIDEO | VP Binay fields tackles serious issues at 'Happy Hour' forum at News5 3 hours from now
- Village of 1,000 quarantined after Ebola death in Sierra Leone 3 hours from now
- Thai probe hits hurdle; no bomb match to suspects' DNA 2 hours from now
- VIDEO | 'Batang Anghel' task force probes Batangas 'child abductions' 29 minutes from now
- VP Binay recommends: Split up transportation, communication in DOTC 7 minutes ago
- Drilon scores DA for 'messy' budget 1 hour ago
- VIDEO | DILG clears EDSA, DPWH prepares for HPG takeover of traffic tasks 2 hours ago
- Baler police release sketch of suspect in Judge Alaba slay 3 hours ago
- Putin: Europe migrant crisis was to be 'expected' 4 hours ago