President Aquino off to Tacloban, Capiz to oversee 'Yolanda' relief efforts
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA -- President Benigno Aquino III flew to Tacloban City, Leyte Sunday morning to visit the victims of super typhoon Yolanda and to oversee rescue, relief, and rehabilitation efforts.
In a media advisory sent by the Presidential Communications Operations Office, Aquino left at 8:40 a.m. from the Villamor Air Base.
In Tacloban, the President will distribute relief goods and afterwards will be briefed by local officials and Cabinet secretaries on the disaster operations.
Tacloban is reported to be one of the hardest-hit areas by Yolanda.
After his visit in Tacloban, he will proceed to Barangay Culasi in Roxas City, Capiz also to distribute relief goods.
He will also meet with local officials at the Capiz Provincial Capitol.
Seven Cabinet members accompanied the President: Defense Secretary Voltaire Gazmin, Interior and Local Government Secretary Mar Roxas, Social Welfare and Development Secretary Dinky Soliman, Public Works and Highways Secretary Rogelio Singson, Energy Secretary Jericho Petilla, Transportation and Communication Secretary Emilio Abaya, and Cabinet Secretary Rene Almendras.
- ENGINE FIRE | 300 passengers evacuated from Korean Air plane at Tokyo airport 3 hours ago
- Marcos lawyer demands Smartmatic explanation over 'discrepancies' in COC transmission 3 hours ago
- SC to tackle Arroyo's house arrest bid next week 4 hours ago
- Duterte to face early test over food security 4 hours ago
- NGCP sets 9-hour power interruption in Isabela Saturday 4 hours ago
- 2 women PNP officials fired, charged over alleged medical scam 5 hours ago
- South Korea fires warning shots after boats from North cross sea border 5 hours ago
- Duterte urged to review defense pacts with US on VFA 17th anniversary 5 hours ago
- G7 'concerned' by situation in East, South China seas 6 hours ago
- 4 drug suspects killed in Bulacan shootout 6 hours ago
- Manila gets plant that treats water from estero, wet market 7 hours ago
- Reelected Negros Occidental mayor dies 7 hours ago
- From hardy pigs to super-crops, gene editing poses new EU dilemma 8 hours ago
- PNoy accuses China of breaking US-brokered deal on South China Sea outcrop 8 hours ago
- Turkish goodwill ambassador quits UNESCO to protest 'hypocrisy' 8 hours ago