President Aquino off to Tacloban, Capiz to oversee 'Yolanda' relief efforts
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA -- President Benigno Aquino III flew to Tacloban City, Leyte Sunday morning to visit the victims of super typhoon Yolanda and to oversee rescue, relief, and rehabilitation efforts.
In a media advisory sent by the Presidential Communications Operations Office, Aquino left at 8:40 a.m. from the Villamor Air Base.
In Tacloban, the President will distribute relief goods and afterwards will be briefed by local officials and Cabinet secretaries on the disaster operations.
Tacloban is reported to be one of the hardest-hit areas by Yolanda.
After his visit in Tacloban, he will proceed to Barangay Culasi in Roxas City, Capiz also to distribute relief goods.
He will also meet with local officials at the Capiz Provincial Capitol.
Seven Cabinet members accompanied the President: Defense Secretary Voltaire Gazmin, Interior and Local Government Secretary Mar Roxas, Social Welfare and Development Secretary Dinky Soliman, Public Works and Highways Secretary Rogelio Singson, Energy Secretary Jericho Petilla, Transportation and Communication Secretary Emilio Abaya, and Cabinet Secretary Rene Almendras.
- Home PET LIFE | 10 New Year’s Resolutions for 2015, Pet Parents Edition 9 minutes ago
- 'Was it worth it?' SAF chief says, 'Yes' 10 minutes ago
- Suspended PNP chief dared to come clean on role in Mamasapano mission 55 minutes ago
- Ex-IMF chief to be tried for 'pimping' at sex parties 1 hour ago
- 'Falling angels' could hit $260 billion of emerging market debt 1 hour ago
- Oil prices fall as output remains high, producers slash costs 2 hours ago
- Truth Commission to probe deaths of SAF commandos, Magna Carta for PNP men pushed 2 hours ago
- Tagle calls for Friday masses for 44 fallen SAF 2 hours ago
- Asian shares sluggish as growth concerns trump Wall Street 2 hours ago
- PNoy at Bagong Diwa necrological rites for fallen SAF commandos 3 hours ago
- More than 1,000 PNPA grads in 'sympathy walk' for slain comrades 3 hours ago
- At least 2 civilians, including child, slain, 3 wounded in Mamasapano 4 hours ago
- Grenade explodes at Tondo police station, another disrupted 4 hours ago
- Chaos in Yemen leaves US killer drone program facing intel gaps 5 hours ago
- Man with fake gun interrupts Dutch TV, is overpowered 5 hours ago