President Aquino off to Tacloban, Capiz to oversee 'Yolanda' relief efforts
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA -- President Benigno Aquino III flew to Tacloban City, Leyte Sunday morning to visit the victims of super typhoon Yolanda and to oversee rescue, relief, and rehabilitation efforts.
In a media advisory sent by the Presidential Communications Operations Office, Aquino left at 8:40 a.m. from the Villamor Air Base.
In Tacloban, the President will distribute relief goods and afterwards will be briefed by local officials and Cabinet secretaries on the disaster operations.
Tacloban is reported to be one of the hardest-hit areas by Yolanda.
After his visit in Tacloban, he will proceed to Barangay Culasi in Roxas City, Capiz also to distribute relief goods.
He will also meet with local officials at the Capiz Provincial Capitol.
Seven Cabinet members accompanied the President: Defense Secretary Voltaire Gazmin, Interior and Local Government Secretary Mar Roxas, Social Welfare and Development Secretary Dinky Soliman, Public Works and Highways Secretary Rogelio Singson, Energy Secretary Jericho Petilla, Transportation and Communication Secretary Emilio Abaya, and Cabinet Secretary Rene Almendras.
- WILL JOIN ISLAMIC STATE? | Three British girls aged 15, 16, on way to Syria - media 8 hours from now
- AMIHAN PATULOY NA MARARAMDAMAN | Cold wind from Siberia to prevail in PH until mid-March - Pagasa 7 hours from now
- 'Give new life, glorious finish to CARP,' CBCP head, 80 other prelates urge PNoy, Congress 6 hours from now
- BA'T DI NA LANG MAG 'I AM SORRY' TULAD NI ARROYO? | Serge O. again calls PNoy 'matigas ang ulo' 5 hours from now
- London man believed to be IS executioner 'Jihadi John' contemplated suicide - report 4 hours from now
- Jolo Revilla in 'serious but stable' condition; cops probe shooting incident 4 hours from now
- BAKIT GANITO? | Filipinas, other Asian women better educated yet lag behind men in leadership role 2 hours from now
- PHOTO | Firefighters try to put out fire on Araneta Avenue, QC 2 hours from now
- APEC finance ministers to meet this March in Tagaytay 2 hours from now
- Return public hospital operation to DOH - Trillanes 2 hours from now
- 7 Maguindanao towns affected by military offensive vs BIFF 1 hour from now
- Meron ka pang Libyan dinar? Bangko Sentral extends exchange facility for repatriated OFWs 52 minutes from now
- China's wild panda population up nearly 17 percent - Xinhua 37 minutes from now
- Miner dies of poison chemical inhalation inside pit in CamNorte town 11 minutes from now
- Uruguay's pot-friendly farmer president prepares to step down 9 minutes ago