President Aquino off to Tacloban, Capiz to oversee 'Yolanda' relief efforts
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA -- President Benigno Aquino III flew to Tacloban City, Leyte Sunday morning to visit the victims of super typhoon Yolanda and to oversee rescue, relief, and rehabilitation efforts.
In a media advisory sent by the Presidential Communications Operations Office, Aquino left at 8:40 a.m. from the Villamor Air Base.
In Tacloban, the President will distribute relief goods and afterwards will be briefed by local officials and Cabinet secretaries on the disaster operations.
Tacloban is reported to be one of the hardest-hit areas by Yolanda.
After his visit in Tacloban, he will proceed to Barangay Culasi in Roxas City, Capiz also to distribute relief goods.
He will also meet with local officials at the Capiz Provincial Capitol.
Seven Cabinet members accompanied the President: Defense Secretary Voltaire Gazmin, Interior and Local Government Secretary Mar Roxas, Social Welfare and Development Secretary Dinky Soliman, Public Works and Highways Secretary Rogelio Singson, Energy Secretary Jericho Petilla, Transportation and Communication Secretary Emilio Abaya, and Cabinet Secretary Rene Almendras.
- Lumad's tales of suffering drive Vagina Monologues author to tears 2 hours ago
- Thousands of Egyptian doctors protest police brutality 3 hours ago
- Assad vows to retake all of Syria, keep 'fighting terrorism' 3 hours ago
- Shunned for years, gold stages comeback as equities melt down 3 hours ago
- BSP loosens rules on FX transactions further 3 hours ago
- North Korea lacks technology for anti-US nuclear strike - Pentagon 4 hours ago
- Tom Cruise laughs off 'MI Paezible' billboard - TMZ 4 hours ago
- FALLOUT FROM OIL SLUMP | Unpaid for 5 months, hundreds of OFWs 'trapped' in Saudi quarters 5 hours ago
- Two Arizona teen girls dead in murder-suicide 5 hours ago
- 6 UN peacekeepers killed in Mali attacks 6 hours ago
- Duterte back in Davao, resumes campaign after migraine attack 6 hours ago
- After 1,000-year split, Christianity reunites in Cuba 7 hours ago
- PNoy’s high approval, trust ratings to inspire gov't to further improve people’s lives: Palace 12 hours ago
- Palace hails joint agreement between PHL, MILF 12 hours ago
- Russia keeps bombing despite Syria truce; Assad vows to fight on 12 hours ago