President Aquino off to Tacloban, Capiz to oversee 'Yolanda' relief efforts
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA -- President Benigno Aquino III flew to Tacloban City, Leyte Sunday morning to visit the victims of super typhoon Yolanda and to oversee rescue, relief, and rehabilitation efforts.
In a media advisory sent by the Presidential Communications Operations Office, Aquino left at 8:40 a.m. from the Villamor Air Base.
In Tacloban, the President will distribute relief goods and afterwards will be briefed by local officials and Cabinet secretaries on the disaster operations.
Tacloban is reported to be one of the hardest-hit areas by Yolanda.
After his visit in Tacloban, he will proceed to Barangay Culasi in Roxas City, Capiz also to distribute relief goods.
He will also meet with local officials at the Capiz Provincial Capitol.
Seven Cabinet members accompanied the President: Defense Secretary Voltaire Gazmin, Interior and Local Government Secretary Mar Roxas, Social Welfare and Development Secretary Dinky Soliman, Public Works and Highways Secretary Rogelio Singson, Energy Secretary Jericho Petilla, Transportation and Communication Secretary Emilio Abaya, and Cabinet Secretary Rene Almendras.
- VIDEO | Women activists cross DMZ to mixed reception on South Korean side 6 hours from now
- Texas gov declares states of emergency, more severe weather expected 6 hours from now
- JESSICA ZAFRA | Drinking too much water can also kill you 5 hours from now
- Thai PM deploys helicopter carrier to act as migrant processing center 4 hours from now
- Davao Port PPP project attracts 5 potential bidders 4 hours from now
- Malaysia finds 139 graves in 'cruel' jungle trafficking camps 3 hours from now
- Ayala-Metro Pacific tandem pushes back introduction of common ticket for LRT2 3 hours from now
- DepEd clears 1,246 private schools for increased tuition 1 hour from now
- Mary Jane's kin reject most of alleged recruiters' claims 1 hour from now
- VIDEO | JV: No let-up in P3.8-B license plates probe; more delays seen as COA review pends 53 minutes from now
- Members of Chong family show up in Senate to evade possible arrest 36 minutes from now
- Marcos chides OPAPP for failing to consult stakeholders on BBL 21 minutes from now
- Senate suspends arrest of 4 VP Binays allies, until 7pm 45 minutes ago
- Aquino willing to be consulted by senators, but certain BBL will pass legal hurdles 1 hour ago
- Eradicating poll fraud a work in progress, says new Comelec chief 2 hours ago