President Aquino off to Tacloban, Capiz to oversee 'Yolanda' relief efforts
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA -- President Benigno Aquino III flew to Tacloban City, Leyte Sunday morning to visit the victims of super typhoon Yolanda and to oversee rescue, relief, and rehabilitation efforts.
In a media advisory sent by the Presidential Communications Operations Office, Aquino left at 8:40 a.m. from the Villamor Air Base.
In Tacloban, the President will distribute relief goods and afterwards will be briefed by local officials and Cabinet secretaries on the disaster operations.
Tacloban is reported to be one of the hardest-hit areas by Yolanda.
After his visit in Tacloban, he will proceed to Barangay Culasi in Roxas City, Capiz also to distribute relief goods.
He will also meet with local officials at the Capiz Provincial Capitol.
Seven Cabinet members accompanied the President: Defense Secretary Voltaire Gazmin, Interior and Local Government Secretary Mar Roxas, Social Welfare and Development Secretary Dinky Soliman, Public Works and Highways Secretary Rogelio Singson, Energy Secretary Jericho Petilla, Transportation and Communication Secretary Emilio Abaya, and Cabinet Secretary Rene Almendras.
- BREAKING | Indonesian court junks second petition for review for Veloso 8 hours from now
- NBI poises charges vs Mary Jane's recruiters 7 hours from now
- Philippines tempers outlook for nickel production 7 hours from now
- New round of fuel price increases 7 hours from now
- International Court of Justice may hold key to halting Veloso execution - Roque 7 hours from now
- ILO urges focus on decent, productive jobs to foster inclusive growth 6 hours from now
- Philippines mulls wider ban on American chicks, recall of price ceiling 6 hours from now
- 'Vagina Monologues' author to Widodo: Treat Mary Jane NOT as a criminal but a victim 6 hours from now
- Earthquake deaths top 3,200 so far in Nepal; tens of thousands desperate for help 5 hours from now
- NLEX operator, government start talks on terms of Connector Road project's Swiss challenge 5 hours from now
- Meralco's first-quarter profit up on higher sales 5 hours from now
- AVALANCHE! | Viral video shows climbers' horror on Everest base camp 4 hours from now
- VIDEO, EXPERIENCE | Simulator shows what 7.8 magnitude quake, such as that in Nepal, would be like 4 hours from now
- JESSICA ZAFRA | Asian Cinema invades Europe via Udine, Italy 3 hours from now
- BBL constitutional, but no to indefinite 'opt-in' on Bangsamoro expansion - Peace Council 3 hours from now