P-Noy walks out of Tacloban briefing after being egged on to declare martial law in city
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA - President Benigno Aquino III on Sunday morning walked out of his own briefing in Tacloban City after being egged on by local businessmen to declare martial law in light of the looting in the city.Â
According to a radio report by dzBB, the President was also miffed by Undersecretary Eduardo del Rosario of the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) over the latter's supposedly exaggerated figures and unpreparedness.
Del Rosario was making his presentation as one local businessman was requesting to address the President.
The local businessman said he and his fellow businessmen were being "slaughtered" by lawless elements in an orgy of looting and arson.
The President lost his temper and stormed out of the meeting to cool off at the nearby Tacloban City police station, where he met with policemen. Ten minutes later, he returned to the briefing.Â
(Editor's note: This story corrects an earlier story that suggested that del Rosario was supporting the local businessmen's call for a declaration of martial in Tacloban City.)
- ASEAN single time zone will increase spirit of oneness, says Munir 8 hours from now
- UK's first 'anti-Islamization' rally dwarfed by counter-demo 7 hours from now
- Tight security for Jolo Revilla at Asian Hospital, spokesman denies suicide try 7 hours from now
- Army, police hunt down 5 foreign terrorists in Maguindanao 7 hours from now
- Local docu film 'Walang Rape sa Bontok' making waves in New York 6 hours from now
- Egypt brands Hamas a 'terrorist' group 2 hours from now
- Businessman charged with defrauding Monaco billionaire 2 hours from now
- West condemns Nemtsov murder as Putin vows to punish killers 1 hour from now
- Former top Colombian officials convicted in domestic spying scandal 43 minutes from now
- Putin pledges to nail Nemtsov killers, as West condemns 12 minutes from now
- Greek PM vows no retreat in 'battle' with creditors 18 minutes ago
- First PEGIDA 'anti-Islamisation' rally staged in Britain 1 hour ago
- India pledges infrastructure spending to help economy 'fly' 2 hours ago
- Dozens dead as Qaeda in Syria takes rebel base: monitor 2 hours ago
- China official jailed for 17 years over jade bribes 3 hours ago