P-Noy walks out of Tacloban briefing after being egged on to declare martial law in city
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA - President Benigno Aquino III on Sunday morning walked out of his own briefing in Tacloban City after being egged on by local businessmen to declare martial law in light of the looting in the city.Â
According to a radio report by dzBB, the President was also miffed by Undersecretary Eduardo del Rosario of the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) over the latter's supposedly exaggerated figures and unpreparedness.
Del Rosario was making his presentation as one local businessman was requesting to address the President.
The local businessman said he and his fellow businessmen were being "slaughtered" by lawless elements in an orgy of looting and arson.
The President lost his temper and stormed out of the meeting to cool off at the nearby Tacloban City police station, where he met with policemen. Ten minutes later, he returned to the briefing.Â
(Editor's note: This story corrects an earlier story that suggested that del Rosario was supporting the local businessmen's call for a declaration of martial in Tacloban City.)
- Singapore honors Lee with elaborate state funeral 8 hours from now
- Cebu Archbishop reminds faithful Holy Week is for prayer, not vacation 7 hours from now
- VIDEO | Repair, reblocking in Metro Manila roads to cause Holy Week traffic jam - MMDA 6 hours from now
- Greece condemns British refusal of mediation on Parthenon sculptures 6 hours from now
- New HLURB rules prohibit 'exaggerated and misleading' statements on land developers' ads 6 hours from now
- VIDEO | Lawmakers split on PNoy's move to throw BBL draft to national peace summit 2 hours from now
- UN vows to step up Iraq heritage protection 2 hours from now
- OFWs join thousands queueing for hours to pay last respects to Lee Kuan Yew 1 hour from now
- 23 'beheaded' in NE Nigeria on eve of election - lawmaker, nurse 1 hour from now
- Alps crash pilot told ex-girlfriend 'everyone will know my name' 54 minutes from now
- French Alps faithful pray for crash vicitms 39 minutes from now
- President Aquino issues guidelines to ensure public safety, order during Holy Week 20 minutes from now
- PH govt exhausting all means to save Filipina from Indonesian death row 56 seconds ago
- UN staff evacuated from Yemen capital - aid workers 20 minutes ago
- PARA WALA NANG TEXT SCAMS? | SIM card mandatory registration nears passage 35 minutes ago