P-Noy walks out of Tacloban briefing after being egged on to declare martial law in city
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA - President Benigno Aquino III on Sunday morning walked out of his own briefing in Tacloban City after being egged on by local businessmen to declare martial law in light of the looting in the city.
According to a radio report by dzBB, the President was also miffed by Undersecretary Eduardo del Rosario of the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) over the latter's supposedly exaggerated figures and unpreparedness.
Del Rosario was making his presentation as one local businessman was requesting to address the President.
The local businessman said he and his fellow businessmen were being "slaughtered" by lawless elements in an orgy of looting and arson.
The President lost his temper and stormed out of the meeting to cool off at the nearby Tacloban City police station, where he met with policemen. Ten minutes later, he returned to the briefing.
(Editor's note: This story corrects an earlier story that suggested that del Rosario was supporting the local businessmen's call for a declaration of martial in Tacloban City.)
- Bangladesh upbeat about chance of recovering stolen $81M 23 minutes ago
- Leonio Land awards nearly 330 land titles in Porac 39 minutes ago
- G20 ministers urge tighter tax rules for multinationals 52 minutes ago
- Pokemon GO blamed for illegal border crossing from Canada to US 2 hours ago
- Xavier School Batch 83 gives back to orphan scholars of Hero Foundation 2 hours ago
- Munich mall shooting: what we know 8 hours ago
- 80 dead as IS claims twin blasts during Kabul protest 8 hours ago
- OPINION | Brexit, Trump and Duterte: There is Method in Madness 11 hours ago
- FEAR FACTOR | Drug users' plea: Help us but, please, not through intimidation 11 hours ago
- Belmonte accedes; no longer seeks Speakership 14 hours ago
- PRE-SONA BUZZ | Lawmakers smell possible move by House majority to railroad minority leadership 15 hours ago
- THAT POKEMON THING | US reporter called out at presser for playing 17 hours ago
- 2 suspected drug pushers gunned down in Tarlac shootout 19 hours ago
- SCENE | Panic and terror in Munich shooting rampage 21 hours ago
- White supremacist David Duke launches US Senate bid 22 hours ago