P-Noy walks out of Tacloban briefing after being egged on to declare martial law in city
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA - President Benigno Aquino III on Sunday morning walked out of his own briefing in Tacloban City after being egged on by local businessmen to declare martial law in light of the looting in the city.
According to a radio report by dzBB, the President was also miffed by Undersecretary Eduardo del Rosario of the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) over the latter's supposedly exaggerated figures and unpreparedness.
Del Rosario was making his presentation as one local businessman was requesting to address the President.
The local businessman said he and his fellow businessmen were being "slaughtered" by lawless elements in an orgy of looting and arson.
The President lost his temper and stormed out of the meeting to cool off at the nearby Tacloban City police station, where he met with policemen. Ten minutes later, he returned to the briefing.
(Editor's note: This story corrects an earlier story that suggested that del Rosario was supporting the local businessmen's call for a declaration of martial in Tacloban City.)
- 'LET'S TALK' | Mar wants eyeball with Grace, but Poe is unmoved 17 minutes ago
- RCBC President Lorenzo Tan resigns after bank probe clears him of complicity in money laundering 45 minutes ago
- OPINION | Duterte's rock star phenomenon 1 hour ago
- FOCUS | US bullet train proposals shun public funds, favor private cash 1 hour ago
- 2,000 MMDA personnel deployed for election-related traffic duties 2 hours ago
- Taguig RTC issues TRO on further airing of anti-Duterte ad 2 hours ago
- WEST PH SEA | Sino envoy sees new round of interaction with new PH president 2 hours ago
- VIDEO | Korina sees herself as a 'working First Lady' if Mar wins 3 hours ago
- Meralco to shave May rates by P0.41 per kilowatt-hour; ready for Election Day contingencies 3 hours ago
- Leni falls back on bigger Bicolano vote to face Solid North 3 hours ago
- Ex-Coron mayor Mario Reyes, accused in Gerry Ortega murder, gets bail 4 hours ago
- China's diplomatic radar keenly follows PH national election 4 hours ago
- COCKTALES | Convenience stores, fast foods beat malls in contractualization numbers 4 hours ago
- Hundreds of trained VCM technicians fired by Comelec before election: Poe-Chiz legal team 4 hours ago
- PNP tags 3 Leyte towns as election 'areas of concern' 7 hours ago