P-Noy walks out of Tacloban briefing after being egged on to declare martial law in city
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA - President Benigno Aquino III on Sunday morning walked out of his own briefing in Tacloban City after being egged on by local businessmen to declare martial law in light of the looting in the city.
According to a radio report by dzBB, the President was also miffed by Undersecretary Eduardo del Rosario of the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) over the latter's supposedly exaggerated figures and unpreparedness.
Del Rosario was making his presentation as one local businessman was requesting to address the President.
The local businessman said he and his fellow businessmen were being "slaughtered" by lawless elements in an orgy of looting and arson.
The President lost his temper and stormed out of the meeting to cool off at the nearby Tacloban City police station, where he met with policemen. Ten minutes later, he returned to the briefing.
(Editor's note: This story corrects an earlier story that suggested that del Rosario was supporting the local businessmen's call for a declaration of martial in Tacloban City.)
- Korean Air boss apologizes in court for daughter's 'nut rage' 2 hours ago
- Japan, Jordan seek news on fate of Islamic State captives 3 hours ago
- Australians on Indonesia death row file fresh legal appeal 3 hours ago
- VIDEO | Salute to SAF 44: remember their names, faces; say thanks and pray for them, their kin 3 hours ago
- Hezbollah: we don't want war with Israel but do not fear it 4 hours ago
- AirAsia Philippines brings back Cebu-Kota Kinabalu flights, offers seat sale 5 hours ago
- PLDT, European data center operator tie up for ethernet service in UK 5 hours ago
- Saudi king orders lavish payout to state employees, reshuffles cabinet 5 hours ago
- US-Philippines Society board meets in Manila for fresh investment campaign 5 hours ago
- Pace of December money supply growth nearly returns to double-digits 6 hours ago
- PH gov't, MILF talk disarmament in shadow of deadly Mamasapano clash 6 hours ago
- IYAKIN DAW | China state media calls PH a 'crying baby' for seeking int'l support vs island-building 7 hours ago
- VIDEO | Young, bemedaled senior police officer taking Phd course was among SAF 44 fallen heroes 8 hours ago
- MAP OF MOURNING | #Fallen 44 represent Philippine archipelago's best 9 hours ago
- Filipinos pay tribute to #Fallen 44 9 hours ago