P-Noy walks out of Tacloban briefing after being egged on to declare martial law in city
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA - President Benigno Aquino III on Sunday morning walked out of his own briefing in Tacloban City after being egged on by local businessmen to declare martial law in light of the looting in the city.
According to a radio report by dzBB, the President was also miffed by Undersecretary Eduardo del Rosario of the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) over the latter's supposedly exaggerated figures and unpreparedness.
Del Rosario was making his presentation as one local businessman was requesting to address the President.
The local businessman said he and his fellow businessmen were being "slaughtered" by lawless elements in an orgy of looting and arson.
The President lost his temper and stormed out of the meeting to cool off at the nearby Tacloban City police station, where he met with policemen. Ten minutes later, he returned to the briefing.
(Editor's note: This story corrects an earlier story that suggested that del Rosario was supporting the local businessmen's call for a declaration of martial in Tacloban City.)
- Military 'occupies' Bukidnon 'massacre village' - priest 7 hours from now
- VIDEO | NYT report: Weaponized pillow fight leaves 30 hurt at West Point 7 hours from now
- OPINION | We're mad as hell and we're not gonna take it anymore! 6 hours from now
- Disarm, disband militia, Surigao del Sur gov demands as evacuees near 3,000 6 hours from now
- VIDEO | Heidi Mendoza dares Baligod to name COA execs involved in PDAF scam 6 hours from now
- From Havana to UN, Pope Francis prepares for most political trip yet 4 hours from now
- PH team bags 4th straight gold in ASEAN Science Odyssey 3 hours from now
- UAE, Bahrain lose 50 troops in Yemen on deadliest day for Saudi-led coalition 3 hours from now
- Sugar Alliance backs SRA chief amid policy concerns 3 hours from now
- US wildfires could be costliest on record 2 hours from now
- Hungary buses first migrants to Austrian border 2 hours from now
- VIDEO | Duterte's encounter with defiant smoker earns mixed reactions from netizens 2 hours from now
- Domestic violence can take form of reproductive control - study 49 minutes from now
- Palace bares latest presidential appointees 34 minutes from now
- 9 Pinoy officials in US to discuss disaster risk management 12 minutes from now