P-Noy walks out of Tacloban briefing after being egged on to declare martial law in city
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA - President Benigno Aquino III on Sunday morning walked out of his own briefing in Tacloban City after being egged on by local businessmen to declare martial law in light of the looting in the city.
According to a radio report by dzBB, the President was also miffed by Undersecretary Eduardo del Rosario of the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) over the latter's supposedly exaggerated figures and unpreparedness.
Del Rosario was making his presentation as one local businessman was requesting to address the President.
The local businessman said he and his fellow businessmen were being "slaughtered" by lawless elements in an orgy of looting and arson.
The President lost his temper and stormed out of the meeting to cool off at the nearby Tacloban City police station, where he met with policemen. Ten minutes later, he returned to the briefing.
(Editor's note: This story corrects an earlier story that suggested that del Rosario was supporting the local businessmen's call for a declaration of martial in Tacloban City.)
- DIGONG'S REJOINDER | Skittish foreign businesses can 'pack up and leave' 29 minutes ago
- Alagang Kapatid responds to typhoon 'Lawin' victims, airs call for donations 1 hour ago
- US official’s suggestion to tone down rhetoric earns more of the same from Duterte 2 hours ago
- Meralco Q3 net income rises to P4.9B 2 hours ago
- Duterte admits he did not realize ‘extent’ of drug problem before becoming president 3 hours ago
- DAR turns over P9.9-M irrigation facility in Davao Norte 3 hours ago
- Duterte not keen on VFA with Japan, hopes for day when ‘no troops except Filipinos’ in country 3 hours ago
- Ilocos wage board sets kasambahay monthly minimum at P2,500-P3,500 5 hours ago
- Family of Cebuano seaman kidnapped by Abu Sayyaf seek Duterte's help 5 hours ago
- FACT CHECK | As death toll mounts, a hard look at some dubious data in drugs war 6 hours ago
- National minorities ask GRP-NDFP monitoring body to probe violent embassy dispersal 6 hours ago
- Air pollution can raise risk of high blood pressure - study 7 hours ago
- PDEA, Magalang mayor in row over sale of hogs from Pampanga shabu lab 7 hours ago
- Duterte’s ‘off the cuff’ South China Sea statements ‘not binding’ - Yasay 7 hours ago
- BBL essential in transition to federalism, says former negotiator to MILF talks 8 hours ago