P-Noy walks out of Tacloban briefing after being egged on to declare martial law in city
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA - President Benigno Aquino III on Sunday morning walked out of his own briefing in Tacloban City after being egged on by local businessmen to declare martial law in light of the looting in the city.
According to a radio report by dzBB, the President was also miffed by Undersecretary Eduardo del Rosario of the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) over the latter's supposedly exaggerated figures and unpreparedness.
Del Rosario was making his presentation as one local businessman was requesting to address the President.
The local businessman said he and his fellow businessmen were being "slaughtered" by lawless elements in an orgy of looting and arson.
The President lost his temper and stormed out of the meeting to cool off at the nearby Tacloban City police station, where he met with policemen. Ten minutes later, he returned to the briefing.
(Editor's note: This story corrects an earlier story that suggested that del Rosario was supporting the local businessmen's call for a declaration of martial in Tacloban City.)
- Raul Castro hails removal of "obstacle" in US-Cuba relations 38 minutes ago
- Four Afghan Guantanamo detainees repatriated: Pentagon 1 hour ago
- Israeli aircraft hit Gaza for first time since August 2 hours ago
- North Korea proposes joint probe with US into Sony cyber attack 2 hours ago
- Putin says no one can 'intimidate or isolate' Russia 2 hours ago
- Scientists locate 'internal compass' in the brain 3 hours ago
- Colombia rebels begin indefinite, unilateral ceasefire 3 hours ago
- Sale of Napocor's real estate assets slated for 2015 4 hours ago
- IS has executed 100 foreigners trying to quit: report 4 hours ago
- Megawide-led consortium bags bank financing for Mactan airport upgrade 4 hours ago
- Austria arrests couple with machine gun in plane luggage 5 hours ago
- Government to hike LRT, MRT fares beginning January 4 5 hours ago
- Franciscan Order in 'grave' financial trouble after massive fraud 5 hours ago
- Military, police collar ASG member in Zamboanga Sibugay 8 hours ago
- Fresh cut in fuel prices set 9 hours ago