P-Noy walks out of Tacloban briefing after being egged on to declare martial law in city
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA - President Benigno Aquino III on Sunday morning walked out of his own briefing in Tacloban City after being egged on by local businessmen to declare martial law in light of the looting in the city.Â
According to a radio report by dzBB, the President was also miffed by Undersecretary Eduardo del Rosario of the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) over the latter's supposedly exaggerated figures and unpreparedness.
Del Rosario was making his presentation as one local businessman was requesting to address the President.
The local businessman said he and his fellow businessmen were being "slaughtered" by lawless elements in an orgy of looting and arson.
The President lost his temper and stormed out of the meeting to cool off at the nearby Tacloban City police station, where he met with policemen. Ten minutes later, he returned to the briefing.Â
(Editor's note: This story corrects an earlier story that suggested that del Rosario was supporting the local businessmen's call for a declaration of martial in Tacloban City.)
- New flood warning for Texas, where storms have killed 16 6 hours from now
- Binay camp, Poe remind each other not to go to bed with poll cheats 6 hours from now
- Pepsi-Cola Philippines to start manufacturing Cheetos snack foods this year 6 hours from now
- Pentagon chief urges end to island-building in South China Sea 6 hours from now
- Hospitals overwhelmed as India heatwave deaths near 1,500 5 hours from now
- Multiple Intelligence International School sued for tax evasion 5 hours from now
- VIDEO | Days before class opening and K to 12 rollout, public schools grapple with usual woes 5 hours from now
- Philippine carriers corner bigger share of international passenger traffic 4 hours from now
- Save The Children pushes for passage of Children's Emergency Relief and Protection Act 2 hours from now
- VIDEO | Treason, sedition charges filed against gov't negotiating panel over BBL 1 hour from now
- POEA designates Yemen as 'War Risk Trading Area' 1 hour from now
- Japanese maker of Winston, Camel cigarettes says smuggling rampant in Philippines 1 hour from now
- US citizen accosted with hand grenade at NAIA T1 57 minutes from now
- NASA orders first commercial crew flight from Boeing 38 minutes from now
- NUPL, Suspend K12 Coalition file 3rd petition vs K-to-12, as 4th suit set for Friday 26 minutes from now