P-Noy walks out of Tacloban briefing after being egged on to declare martial law in city
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA - President Benigno Aquino III on Sunday morning walked out of his own briefing in Tacloban City after being egged on by local businessmen to declare martial law in light of the looting in the city.
According to a radio report by dzBB, the President was also miffed by Undersecretary Eduardo del Rosario of the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) over the latter's supposedly exaggerated figures and unpreparedness.
Del Rosario was making his presentation as one local businessman was requesting to address the President.
The local businessman said he and his fellow businessmen were being "slaughtered" by lawless elements in an orgy of looting and arson.
The President lost his temper and stormed out of the meeting to cool off at the nearby Tacloban City police station, where he met with policemen. Ten minutes later, he returned to the briefing.
(Editor's note: This story corrects an earlier story that suggested that del Rosario was supporting the local businessmen's call for a declaration of martial in Tacloban City.)
- S&P 500 ticks up to record on central bank bets 27 minutes ago
- Cyberspying tool could have US, British origins 56 minutes ago
- MULA SA AMERICA | Fil-Am groups demand swift justice for Ampatuan Massacre victims 1 hour ago
- LPA off Mindanao, still no effect in the country -- Pagasa 2 hours ago
- US Defense Secretary Hagel resigns 2 hours ago
- LPA sa silangan ng Mindanao magpapa-ulan sa bansa -- Pagasa 3 hours ago
- Missouri grand jury reaches decision in fatal shooting of black teen 4 hours ago
- DFA checking Chinese construction in Philippine-claimed reef 5 hours ago
- UN to miss Dec 1 Ebola target due to rising Sierra Leone cases 6 hours ago
- New York Gov Cuomo warns snow-hit Buffalo: Beware of roof collapse 7 hours ago
- Some climate change impacts unavoidable: World Bank 8 hours ago
- Iran nuclear talks extended 7 months after failing to meet deadline 8 hours ago
- China defies US call to stop island project in South China Sea 9 hours ago
- Escudero assures funds for mandatory PhilHealth coverage of elderly in 2015 10 hours ago
- 7 suspected Vietnamese poachers arrested off Palawan 10 hours ago