P-Noy walks out of Tacloban briefing after being egged on to declare martial law in city
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA - President Benigno Aquino III on Sunday morning walked out of his own briefing in Tacloban City after being egged on by local businessmen to declare martial law in light of the looting in the city.Â
According to a radio report by dzBB, the President was also miffed by Undersecretary Eduardo del Rosario of the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) over the latter's supposedly exaggerated figures and unpreparedness.
Del Rosario was making his presentation as one local businessman was requesting to address the President.
The local businessman said he and his fellow businessmen were being "slaughtered" by lawless elements in an orgy of looting and arson.
The President lost his temper and stormed out of the meeting to cool off at the nearby Tacloban City police station, where he met with policemen. Ten minutes later, he returned to the briefing.Â
(Editor's note: This story corrects an earlier story that suggested that del Rosario was supporting the local businessmen's call for a declaration of martial in Tacloban City.)
- Hillary says China hacking US computers, cites military threats to allies 'like the Philippines' 7 hours from now
- PAGCOR should fund P3.9-B PAGASA modernization - Recto 6 hours from now
- NPA rebels bomb hangar in Compostela Valley, damage spray aircraft 6 hours from now
- To raise funds, Athens eyes deal to tax Greeks' assets hidden in Swiss banks - report 6 hours from now
- VIDEO | Bocaue fluvial festival pushes through despite rains 5 hours from now
- SELECTIVE JUSTICE? | Nancy, Grace Poe question Abaya exclusion from MRT raps 4 hours from now
- Storm 'Egay' brings floods to N. Luzon coastal towns 3 hours from now
- 'Nirvana' death toll rises to 61; overloading key part of probe into capsized ferry 3 hours from now
- Beijing lobbies hard ahead of South China Sea hearing despite snubbing UN tribunal 1 hour from now
- Bizman Archie King, pilot die in chopper crash; style mavens Ocampos and San Diego, 3 others, hurt 54 minutes from now
- Palace warns public vs. fake rice; watchdog says chemical found in sample banned in toys, cosmetics 15 minutes from now
- YES OR NO? Greece votes on financial future, government - and maybe euro 1 hour ago
- NPA rebels gun down fish vendor suspected of being a military asset 1 hour ago
- Filipino sailors on Greek ships will be fine - TUCP 2 hours ago
- ASEAN, EU discuss future direction of partnership 2 hours ago