P-Noy walks out of Tacloban briefing after being egged on to declare martial law in city
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA - President Benigno Aquino III on Sunday morning walked out of his own briefing in Tacloban City after being egged on by local businessmen to declare martial law in light of the looting in the city.
According to a radio report by dzBB, the President was also miffed by Undersecretary Eduardo del Rosario of the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) over the latter's supposedly exaggerated figures and unpreparedness.
Del Rosario was making his presentation as one local businessman was requesting to address the President.
The local businessman said he and his fellow businessmen were being "slaughtered" by lawless elements in an orgy of looting and arson.
The President lost his temper and stormed out of the meeting to cool off at the nearby Tacloban City police station, where he met with policemen. Ten minutes later, he returned to the briefing.
(Editor's note: This story corrects an earlier story that suggested that del Rosario was supporting the local businessmen's call for a declaration of martial in Tacloban City.)
- Comelec starts preliminary investigation of poll offenders 2 hours ago
- UN investigators urge Obama to release CIA report on torture, interrogations 3 hours ago
- FAR FROM OVER | Ebola discoverer Piot sees long, bumpy road to ending epidemic 3 hours ago
- SINO S'YA? | Solon from northern PH owns this rare Ferrari supercar that costs almost P200M 4 hours ago
- Eastern US storm threatens to foil Thanksgiving travel 4 hours ago
- VIDEO | P500-K reward raised for arrest of those behind rape, burning of 14-year-old girl in Bataan 5 hours ago
- National Guard, police curb Ferguson unrest as protests swell across US 5 hours ago
- Pinoy wiz kid makes charger from scrap, wins gold in world competition 6 hours ago
- Girl, 15, dies after being set on fire in India for resisting molestation 7 hours ago
- 7 reasons why you’ll want to stay at Solaire’s luxurious Sky Tower 7 hours ago
- Sandigan asked to suspend 10 gov't execs accused in pork scam cases 8 hours ago
- Bangko Sentral gives small banks more leeway in handling forex transactions 9 hours ago
- Senate OKs P2.606-T nat'l budget for 2015 on 3rd, final reading 9 hours ago
- Finance department, SEC set up information exchange 9 hours ago
- HANGGANG P82K | Senate OKs on 3rd reading bill hiking tax exemption cap for 13th month pay, bonuses 9 hours ago