P-Noy walks out of Tacloban briefing after being egged on to declare martial law in city
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA - President Benigno Aquino III on Sunday morning walked out of his own briefing in Tacloban City after being egged on by local businessmen to declare martial law in light of the looting in the city.Â
According to a radio report by dzBB, the President was also miffed by Undersecretary Eduardo del Rosario of the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) over the latter's supposedly exaggerated figures and unpreparedness.
Del Rosario was making his presentation as one local businessman was requesting to address the President.
The local businessman said he and his fellow businessmen were being "slaughtered" by lawless elements in an orgy of looting and arson.
The President lost his temper and stormed out of the meeting to cool off at the nearby Tacloban City police station, where he met with policemen. Ten minutes later, he returned to the briefing.Â
(Editor's note: This story corrects an earlier story that suggested that del Rosario was supporting the local businessmen's call for a declaration of martial in Tacloban City.)
- Deworming tablet downs 228 schoolchildren in Zamboanga Peninsula 6 hours from now
- Turkey launches heaviest air strikes yet on Kurdish group 5 hours from now
- Amnesty Intl finds ‘strong evidence' of Israeli war crimes in 2015 Gaza assault 4 hours from now
- After PNoy skips FOI in SONA, Palace spokesman asks House to schedule bill for 2nd reading 4 hours from now
- Turkey formally approves US use of air base for anti-IS raids - official 3 hours from now
- Israel approves new homes in settlement after demolishing two buildings at site 3 hours from now
- DOH to discontinue cervical cancer vaccination for Grade 4 students 3 hours from now
- CA grants salutatorian's appeal, orders school to issue her certificate of good moral character 2 hours from now
- Afghanistan probes reports of Taliban leader Mullah Omar’s death 2 hours from now
- Work on first phase of Vista Land's Vista City on track 2 hours from now
- Parago 'successor' nabbed as rebel 'bomber' kills self 1 hour from now
- Probe of alleged abduction of INC ministers still on despite NBI’s claim case ‘closed’ - De Lima 1 hour from now
- Ex-CJ Puno challenges 2016 bets to bare stand on Charter change 54 minutes from now
- Bad loans ratio at big banks stays below 2 percent, but picks up for thrifts 48 minutes from now
- Drilon, Poe nix Cayetano bid to reopen Mamasapano probe 34 minutes from now