'Yolanda' kicks out Chinese from Ayungin Reef, Philippine Marines on grounded ship safe
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA - Super typhoon Yolanda has sent home Chinese maritime and Navy vessels at the Ayungin Reef in Palawan, while the half a dozen Philippine Marines on board a rusting and grounded World War II-era ship are safe, a source told InterAksyon.com.
This effectively ends the standoff between the two countries some 100 nautical miles from the island of Palawan.
Ayungin is part of the Kalayaan Island Group (KIG) in the West Philippine Sea (WPS). China claims the reef is part of its territory, more than a thousand nautical miles from its nearest 200-nautical-mile exclusive economic zone (EEZ).
“They’re safe,” said a senior officer of the Philippine Marines guarding the reef on board the shipwreck BRP Sierra Madre (Landing Ship Tank 57). The Philippine Marine official requested that he not be named because he is not authorized to give any statement regarding operational activities in the West Philippine Sea.
“Hindi naman sila naanod (They were not washed away),” the source added.
The source said the Chinese Navy ship, maritime ships, and fishing vessels left Ayungin two or three days before Yolanda struck the country.
“As of now, we’ve no report that the Chinese ships have returned to Ayungin. Dahil siguro may paparating na naman na isa pang bagyo (Maybe because another storm is approaching the country),” he said.
In June this year, Chinese vessels entered Ayungin and had maintained a presence in the area, as what they did in Panatag (Scarborough) Shoal located in Masinloc, Zambales in April 2012.
The territorial dispute between the two countries is being heard by an international arbitration court in Hamburg.
- Cordillera firefighters clean drug tests show 1 hour ago
- CHR 7 probing extrajudicial killings in Cebu 2 hours ago
- CAAP lifts special treatment for presidential flights 2 hours ago
- North Cotabato gov pleads not guilty to graft 2 hours ago
- US diplomatic strategy on South China Sea appears to founder 3 hours ago
- Police arrest alleged NPA squad leader in Surigao del Norte 3 hours ago
- Car used in road rage murder of biker found but suspect still at large - reports 4 hours ago
- Storm in Great Red Spot heating Jupiter's atmosphere - study 5 hours ago
- 'We're going to carry Hillary to victory' - Obama 5 hours ago
- Japan offers lessons on value of integrating disaster management in school curriculum 5 hours ago
- WHAT CAN ONE HOUR OF EXERCISE A DAY SAVE? | $67.5 billion and 5 million lives a year 5 hours ago
- Rainy Thursday from LPA embedded along ITCZ 6 hours ago
- Washington's Union Station briefly evacuated over bomb threat 6 hours ago
- Caraga police to continue hunting rebels who seized 4 cops, civilian 6 hours ago
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR | The youth as scapegoats 7 hours ago