'Yolanda' kicks out Chinese from Ayungin Reef, Philippine Marines on grounded ship safe
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA - Super typhoon Yolanda has sent home Chinese maritime and Navy vessels at the Ayungin Reef in Palawan, while the half a dozen Philippine Marines on board a rusting and grounded World War II-era ship are safe, a source told InterAksyon.com.
This effectively ends the standoff between the two countries some 100 nautical miles from the island of Palawan.
Ayungin is part of the Kalayaan Island Group (KIG) in the West Philippine Sea (WPS). China claims the reef is part of its territory, more than a thousand nautical miles from its nearest 200-nautical-mile exclusive economic zone (EEZ).
“They’re safe,” said a senior officer of the Philippine Marines guarding the reef on board the shipwreck BRP Sierra Madre (Landing Ship Tank 57). The Philippine Marine official requested that he not be named because he is not authorized to give any statement regarding operational activities in the West Philippine Sea.
“Hindi naman sila naanod (They were not washed away),” the source added.
The source said the Chinese Navy ship, maritime ships, and fishing vessels left Ayungin two or three days before Yolanda struck the country.
“As of now, we’ve no report that the Chinese ships have returned to Ayungin. Dahil siguro may paparating na naman na isa pang bagyo (Maybe because another storm is approaching the country),” he said.
In June this year, Chinese vessels entered Ayungin and had maintained a presence in the area, as what they did in Panatag (Scarborough) Shoal located in Masinloc, Zambales in April 2012.
The territorial dispute between the two countries is being heard by an international arbitration court in Hamburg.
- 'SHOW OF SINCERITY' | NPA frees three captive soldiers, plus militiaman in Agusan del Sur 18 minutes ago
- Sacking of police RSSF chief unfair; cops might be used to harass non-LP groups - Cayetano 51 minutes ago
- Chinese music star serenades troops on disputed South China Sea islands 1 hour ago
- Mar, Poe urged to give way to each other to thwart Duterte win 2 hours ago
- Jail no barrier to a political career in the Philippines 2 hours ago
- VIDEO | Nurse to sue FX 'bully' 3 hours ago
- Indonesian, Philippine foreign ministers hold bilateral talks 3 hours ago
- For first time, scientists grow two-week-old human embryos in lab 4 hours ago
- NGCP: No brownout before, during, after Monday polls 4 hours ago
- Pacific castaways survive 4 weeks adrift 4 hours ago
- President signs into law comprehensive TB elimination plan 4 hours ago
- Retrial of ex-dictator of Guatemala for 1,771 murders suspended 4 hours ago
- Senate victors might begin to be proclaimed 3 days after polls - Comelec 5 hours ago
- SC allows 4-day dental procedure for Arroyo 5 hours ago
- Former Shariff Aguak mayor granted bail on murder raps 5 hours ago