'Yolanda' kicks out Chinese from Ayungin Reef, Philippine Marines on grounded ship safe
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA - Super typhoon Yolanda has sent home Chinese maritime and Navy vessels at the Ayungin Reef in Palawan, while the half a dozen Philippine Marines on board a rusting and grounded World War II-era ship are safe, a source told InterAksyon.com.
This effectively ends the standoff between the two countries some 100 nautical miles from the island of Palawan.
Ayungin is part of the Kalayaan Island Group (KIG) in the West Philippine Sea (WPS). China claims the reef is part of its territory, more than a thousand nautical miles from its nearest 200-nautical-mile exclusive economic zone (EEZ).
“They’re safe,” said a senior officer of the Philippine Marines guarding the reef on board the shipwreck BRP Sierra Madre (Landing Ship Tank 57). The Philippine Marine official requested that he not be named because he is not authorized to give any statement regarding operational activities in the West Philippine Sea.
“Hindi naman sila naanod (They were not washed away),” the source added.
The source said the Chinese Navy ship, maritime ships, and fishing vessels left Ayungin two or three days before Yolanda struck the country.
“As of now, we’ve no report that the Chinese ships have returned to Ayungin. Dahil siguro may paparating na naman na isa pang bagyo (Maybe because another storm is approaching the country),” he said.
In June this year, Chinese vessels entered Ayungin and had maintained a presence in the area, as what they did in Panatag (Scarborough) Shoal located in Masinloc, Zambales in April 2012.
The territorial dispute between the two countries is being heard by an international arbitration court in Hamburg.
- Embattled Boko Haram leader Shekau resurfaces in video 43 minutes ago
- Election period still exists sans law postponingOct. 31 Bgay, SK polls: Macalintal 1 hour ago
- Phantom of the Opera 'curse' hits as fire menaces Paris debut 2 hours ago
- Jordan writer in anti-Islam case shot dead at court 2 hours ago
- Misdiagnosed, man spends 43 years in wheelchair, then learns he can walk, after all 4 hours ago
- SC reminds PNP anew: Follow rules on warrantless arrest 4 hours ago
- RCEP, Beijing's response to US-led trading-bloc, just as bad - CPP 6 hours ago
- Duterte set to visit Vietnam this week - Palace 7 hours ago
- Police search for motive in deadly Washington state mall shooting 7 hours ago
- BEWARE | Etihad warns public vs bogus site offering ticket promo 7 hours ago
- New ISAFP chief assumes post 7 hours ago
- Harassment or not, De Lima should answer prison drug trade payoffs charge – Lacson 9 hours ago
- Poe to tackle pitch for schools' early Christmas break at DepEd budget hearing 11 hours ago
- Ex-IMF boss Rato on trial over bankers' luxury sprees 13 hours ago
- COFFEE GROUNDS | US study finds pulverized coffee grounds remove 99% of heavy metal from water 13 hours ago