NBI sends team to Tacloban City to help identify 'Yolanda' victims
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA, Philippines - The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) on Tuesday sent a team of doctors and technical personnel to Tacloban City to help in the identification of victims of the onslaught of super typhoon "Yolanda" (international code name: Haiyan) last November 8.
According to NBI Officer-in-Charge Medardo de Lemos, this is part of the Disaster Victims Identification program of the NBI which is activated during times of calamities such as the sinking of M/V Princess of the Stars and the onslaught of typhoons "Sendong", "Reming" and "Pablo."
The team flew to Tacloban City on board a C-130 cargo plane of the Philippine Air Force on Tuesday afternoon.
The group headed by Dr. Reynaldo Romero will first conduct an assessment in the area to determine where they can possibly do their work as the office of the NBI in Tacloban City was also severely damaged.
- 6 dead, 9 hurt in Maguindanao road crash 2 hours ago
- 7 hospitalized in California stabbing at neo-Nazi rally 3 hours ago
- Don't be greedy, incoming agriculture secretary tells food traders 4 hours ago
- COCKTALES | Cuisia balks at Duterte offer of term extension, cites Yasay as problem 5 hours ago
- Landslides, flash floods possible as Ambo makes landfall over Aurora: Pagasa 5 hours ago
- British politics in turmoil as Brexit talks loom 10 hours ago
- UK Labour leader faces revolt over Brexit campaign 11 hours ago
- Simple inaugural to start Duterte vow of 'real change' 11 hours ago
- Vatican and Turkey locked in Armenian genocide row 12 hours ago
- Britain must 'quickly' announce exit from EU: commissioner 12 hours ago
- Italy hails mafia killer's arrest as historic 12 hours ago
- Malaysian plane intercepted by Indonesian fighter jets: official 13 hours ago
- Brexit turmoil alarms Asia, deepens party rows; online petitioners for new poll now at 3.2M 14 hours ago
- Weapons, drugs, phones seized in Misamis Oriental prison 15 hours ago
- US Supreme Court poised to issue major abortion ruling 15 hours ago