NBI sends team to Tacloban City to help identify 'Yolanda' victims
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA, Philippines - The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) on Tuesday sent a team of doctors and technical personnel to Tacloban City to help in the identification of victims of the onslaught of super typhoon "Yolanda" (international code name: Haiyan) last November 8.
According to NBI Officer-in-Charge Medardo de Lemos, this is part of the Disaster Victims Identification program of the NBI which is activated during times of calamities such as the sinking of M/V Princess of the Stars and the onslaught of typhoons "Sendong", "Reming" and "Pablo."
The team flew to Tacloban City on board a C-130 cargo plane of the Philippine Air Force on Tuesday afternoon.
The group headed by Dr. Reynaldo Romero will first conduct an assessment in the area to determine where they can possibly do their work as the office of the NBI in Tacloban City was also severely damaged.
- Moody's stress test shows PHL banking system one of most resilient to crisis 4 hours ago
- Loren: Senate OKs new money for pension of WW2 veterans, more funds for K-to-12 4 hours ago
- TRAFFIC ADVISORY | EDSA, C-5 road repair schedule 4 hours ago
- MMDA, mall operators work together on easing traffic during holiday rush 4 hours ago
- Poe 'not threatened' by Duterte; lashes at Roxas 'foreigner' quip 4 hours ago
- Two Bulacan cops tagged for murder 5 hours ago
- COCKTALES | BIR name-and-shame ad: Charlene Gonzales, Ayala execs with tax issues can't be found 6 hours ago
- Poe lawyer: SET ruling extinguishes election offense case 6 hours ago
- VIDEO | PDP-Laban subs Duterte for Diño 8 hours ago
- Cotabato town agriculturist slain 9 hours ago
- Aquino, sisters visit father's tomb on Ninoy's birthday 9 hours ago
- PSA: We'll do disability survey in 2016 10 hours ago
- Metrobank Group gives P10M to areas hit by typhoon 'Lando' 10 hours ago
- New York reassures tourists after terror threat 10 hours ago
- PHOTO | Aquino visits wake of former Iloilo gov Niel Tupas Sr 10 hours ago