NBI sends team to Tacloban City to help identify 'Yolanda' victims
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA, Philippines - The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) on Tuesday sent a team of doctors and technical personnel to Tacloban City to help in the identification of victims of the onslaught of super typhoon "Yolanda" (international code name: Haiyan) last November 8.
According to NBI Officer-in-Charge Medardo de Lemos, this is part of the Disaster Victims Identification program of the NBI which is activated during times of calamities such as the sinking of M/V Princess of the Stars and the onslaught of typhoons "Sendong", "Reming" and "Pablo."
The team flew to Tacloban City on board a C-130 cargo plane of the Philippine Air Force on Tuesday afternoon.
The group headed by Dr. Reynaldo Romero will first conduct an assessment in the area to determine where they can possibly do their work as the office of the NBI in Tacloban City was also severely damaged.
- Emergency power sought by Duterte must be 'FOI-compliant' - Recto 55 minutes ago
- Ombudsman to receive Magsaysay Award 1 hour ago
- Charge onion smugglers for economic sabotage, group urges Customs' Faeldon 2 hours ago
- PNP suspends operations vs Reds 3 hours ago
- US to remain neutral on sovereignty claims but firm on freedom of navigation, flight - Kerry 4 hours ago
- Quezon's Suarez is House minority leader but Baguilat backers may go to SC 5 hours ago
- Duterte should order national curfew for minors - Estrada 5 hours ago
- 3 nabbed with heavy weapons, drugs as Sultan Kudarat launches Oplan Double Barrel 5 hours ago
- ASEAN statement 'victory' for regional bloc, not defeat for PH - Yasay 6 hours ago
- 17 Korean fugitive nabbed in Ortigas Center 7 hours ago
- Clinton makes history as Democratic presidential nominee 7 hours ago
- Pesticides diminish bee sperm - study 8 hours ago
- Belgian solar-powered machine turns urine to water, fertilizer 8 hours ago
- New Reuters/Ipsos poll has Trump edging ahead of Clinton 9 hours ago
- Ex-cop killed in Dagupan drug buy-bust 9 hours ago