NBI sends team to Tacloban City to help identify 'Yolanda' victims
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA, Philippines - The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) on Tuesday sent a team of doctors and technical personnel to Tacloban City to help in the identification of victims of the onslaught of super typhoon "Yolanda" (international code name: Haiyan) last November 8.
According to NBI Officer-in-Charge Medardo de Lemos, this is part of the Disaster Victims Identification program of the NBI which is activated during times of calamities such as the sinking of M/V Princess of the Stars and the onslaught of typhoons "Sendong", "Reming" and "Pablo."
The team flew to Tacloban City on board a C-130 cargo plane of the Philippine Air Force on Tuesday afternoon.
The group headed by Dr. Reynaldo Romero will first conduct an assessment in the area to determine where they can possibly do their work as the office of the NBI in Tacloban City was also severely damaged.
- DFA checking Chinese construction in Philippine-claimed reef 2 hours ago
- UN to miss Dec 1 Ebola target due to rising Sierra Leone cases 3 hours ago
- New York Gov Cuomo warns snow-hit Buffalo: Beware of roof collapse 4 hours ago
- Some climate change impacts unavoidable: World Bank 5 hours ago
- Iran nuclear talks extended 7 months after failing to meet deadline 5 hours ago
- China defies US call to stop island project in South China Sea 6 hours ago
- Escudero assures funds for mandatory PhilHealth coverage of elderly in 2015 7 hours ago
- 7 suspected Vietnamese poachers arrested off Palawan 7 hours ago
- Hagel resigns as US defense secretary, official says 8 hours ago
- Baby found abandoned in drain for 5 days; mom charged with attempted murder 8 hours ago
- 5 Abu Sayyaf bandits killed in clash with gov't forces in Basilan 9 hours ago
- 2 more SM malls to have solar panels by 2015 9 hours ago
- JESSICA ZAFRA | Amy Tan: Without trauma, you'll never be a writer 10 hours ago
- Senate allots P37B for mandatory PhilHealth sectoral coverage 10 hours ago
- LESSONS FROM MIRIAM | The two things that Pinoys need to know about the 2015 nat'l budget 10 hours ago