4 media workers confirmed killed by 'Yolanda' in Tacloban
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA, Philippines -- At least four media workers, all from radio, have been confirmed to have died when super typhoon “Yolanda” struck Tacloban late last week.
On Wednesday, Rommel Rutor, production supervisor of dyMS Aksyon Radyo in Catbalogan said Lottie Solarta, anchor of Tacloban radio station dyBR, relayed th message that “our media colleagues Archie Globio and Malou Realino” and that three other personnel of the station remain missing.
Rutor had also confirmed earlier the deaths of dyVL Aksyon Radyo-Tacloban reporter Ronald Vinas and technician Allan Medino when the storm surge from Yolanda struck their radio station, which is beside the sea.
Reports said the two were still on duty, with Vinas doing anchoring chores, when the super typhoon struck.
Two dependents of the station’s staff also died.
The Catbalogan broadcaster has been making regular sojourns into Tacloban both to report on the situation and gather information on the whereabouts and situation of colleagues there.
At least three other Tacloban journalists are known to have suffered injuries during Yolanda’s rampage.
Since the typhoon cut communications at its height, members of the media community have been trying to contact colleagues in Leyte and Tacloban who have yet to be heard from, although a number have since been located and confirmed safe.
- 'MODERN-DAY SLAVERY' | 1 in 3 trafficked persons is a child,2 of 3 are girls - UN agency 1 minute ago
- Batanes court orders arrest of Coast Guard commander in killing of Taiwanese fisherman 5 minutes ago
- Families of 4 peacekeepers didn't see, more so visit up close, soldiers at AFPMC - military 26 minutes ago
- BARYA | OFWs remit $24B but get only P30M for legal assistance - Nancy Binay 27 minutes ago
- Pinoy company wins big in international startup event 48 minutes ago
- Aquino to coconut farmers from Davao: 'Our hands are tied on coco levy funds' 49 minutes ago
- OFW who killed fellow Pinoy spared from Saudi execution 55 minutes ago
- Hong Kong student leaders arrested as police clear protest site 1 hour ago
- SC orders Comelec to hold Puerto Princesa recall elections 1 hour ago
- Lumad picket Camp Aguinaldo, demand troop pullout from ancestral lands 2 hours ago
- With Pandacan oil depot booted out, expect costlier fuel, more traffic 2 hours ago
- Olivia Pope's wine glass + 6 reasons to grab one at Crate and Barrel now 2 hours ago
- Bangko Sentral forecasts lower inflation in November 2 hours ago
- Ex-PCGG chief Sabio to be tried for 'influence peddling' 3 hours ago
- Trans-Asia, Otto Energy secure oil exploration contract extension for area off Palawan 3 hours ago