4 media workers confirmed killed by 'Yolanda' in Tacloban
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA, Philippines -- At least four media workers, all from radio, have been confirmed to have died when super typhoon “Yolanda” struck Tacloban late last week.
On Wednesday, Rommel Rutor, production supervisor of dyMS Aksyon Radyo in Catbalogan said Lottie Solarta, anchor of Tacloban radio station dyBR, relayed th message that “our media colleagues Archie Globio and Malou Realino” and that three other personnel of the station remain missing.
Rutor had also confirmed earlier the deaths of dyVL Aksyon Radyo-Tacloban reporter Ronald Vinas and technician Allan Medino when the storm surge from Yolanda struck their radio station, which is beside the sea.
Reports said the two were still on duty, with Vinas doing anchoring chores, when the super typhoon struck.
Two dependents of the station’s staff also died.
The Catbalogan broadcaster has been making regular sojourns into Tacloban both to report on the situation and gather information on the whereabouts and situation of colleagues there.
At least three other Tacloban journalists are known to have suffered injuries during Yolanda’s rampage.
Since the typhoon cut communications at its height, members of the media community have been trying to contact colleagues in Leyte and Tacloban who have yet to be heard from, although a number have since been located and confirmed safe.
- Caraga activist groups rally in support of Duterte presidency 9 minutes ago
- WATCH | Duterte holds first Cabinet meeting shortly after inauguration 17 minutes ago
- WATCH | Analysts give Duterte's inaugural speech good reviews 30 minutes ago
- WATCH | Lawmakers rush to file bills to be taken up by 17th Congress 48 minutes ago
- Senators vow support for Duterte 54 minutes ago
- Carlos designates MMDA OIC 1 hour ago
- Surigao del Sur folk keenly follow Duterte presidency stand on mining 1 hour ago
- 100 drug personalities surrender to police in 2 Negros Occidental cities 3 hours ago
- Turkey sees possible foreign Islamic State link in Istanbul airport attack 3 hours ago
- Duterte eyes Clark airport as hub for domestic flights 4 hours ago
- PSEi hits highest intraday level in 2016 4 hours ago
- China bound by international law to heed UN tribunal, DFA insists 5 hours ago
- DUTERTE INAUGURAL SPEECH | 'I am here because I am ready to start my work for the nation' 6 hours ago
- LOOK | The Duterte inaugural in pictures 6 hours ago
- MARIE YUVIENCO | Transitions 6 hours ago