4 media workers confirmed killed by 'Yolanda' in Tacloban
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA, Philippines -- At least four media workers, all from radio, have been confirmed to have died when super typhoon “Yolanda” struck Tacloban late last week.
On Wednesday, Rommel Rutor, production supervisor of dyMS Aksyon Radyo in Catbalogan said Lottie Solarta, anchor of Tacloban radio station dyBR, relayed th message that “our media colleagues Archie Globio and Malou Realino” and that three other personnel of the station remain missing.
Rutor had also confirmed earlier the deaths of dyVL Aksyon Radyo-Tacloban reporter Ronald Vinas and technician Allan Medino when the storm surge from Yolanda struck their radio station, which is beside the sea.
Reports said the two were still on duty, with Vinas doing anchoring chores, when the super typhoon struck.
Two dependents of the station’s staff also died.
The Catbalogan broadcaster has been making regular sojourns into Tacloban both to report on the situation and gather information on the whereabouts and situation of colleagues there.
At least three other Tacloban journalists are known to have suffered injuries during Yolanda’s rampage.
Since the typhoon cut communications at its height, members of the media community have been trying to contact colleagues in Leyte and Tacloban who have yet to be heard from, although a number have since been located and confirmed safe.
- Comelec disenfranchises 7.2 million voters for 2016 elections, says Sen. Loren 5 hours ago
- VIDEO | LTO still requiring NBI, police clearance despite DOTC withdrawal of order 5 hours ago
- VIDEO | DOH: Antibiotic misuse may lead to antimicrobial resistance 5 hours ago
- Poverty fuels conflict and terrorism, Pope warns on landmark Africa trip 6 hours ago
- Russia says downing of its jet won't deflect it from Syria mission 7 hours ago
- IRONY IN PARIS CLIMATE TALKS | COP21 powered by coal 7 hours ago
- Comelec on Poe DQ cases: We won't be influenced by SET decision 7 hours ago
- Cebu Pacific announces first US destination 7 hours ago
- Soldiers in full battle gear enter Burgos farm, raising alarm among kin of missing activist 8 hours ago
- VIDEO | Mandaluyong fire leaves more than 900 families homeless 9 hours ago
- Facebook user Phuc Dat Bich says name is a 'prank' 10 hours ago
- VIDEO | QC police seize 3 kilos of shabu worth P9M from two suspects 12 hours ago
- Flooding brings Qatar to near standstill 12 hours ago
- 2015 set to be hottest year on record: UN 12 hours ago
- US raises military aid to Philippines amid sea tension with China 13 hours ago