4 media workers confirmed killed by 'Yolanda' in Tacloban
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA, Philippines -- At least four media workers, all from radio, have been confirmed to have died when super typhoon âYolandaâ struck Tacloban late last week.
On Wednesday, Rommel Rutor, production supervisor of dyMS Aksyon Radyo in Catbalogan said Lottie Solarta, anchor of Tacloban radio station dyBR, relayed th message that âour media colleagues Archie Globio and Malou Realinoâ and that three other personnel of the station remain missing.
Rutor had also confirmed earlier the deaths of dyVL Aksyon Radyo-Tacloban reporter Ronald Vinas and technician Allan Medino when the storm surge from Yolanda struck their radio station, which is beside the sea.
Reports said the two were still on duty, with Vinas doing anchoring chores, when the super typhoon struck.
Two dependents of the stationâs staff also died.
The Catbalogan broadcaster has been making regular sojourns into Tacloban both to report on the situation and gather information on the whereabouts and situation of colleagues there.
At least three other Tacloban journalists are known to have suffered injuries during Yolandaâs rampage.
Since the typhoon cut communications at its height, members of the media community have been trying to contact colleagues in Leyte and Tacloban who have yet to be heard from, although a number have since been located and confirmed safe.
- Intense bombing, Qaeda attack follow UN's call for peace in Yemen 8 hours from now
- Balikatan war games start Monday under China's shadow 7 hours from now
- Australia says planned ANZAC Day terror attack foiled 7 hours from now
- US Catholic Church shells out $150M to sex abuse victims, prevention programs 7 hours from now
- Ex-Treasurer Briones raises issue of accountability in Bangsamoro block grant 6 hours from now
- OPINION | In fight vs insurgents, Aquino should make clear liberty, livelihood, safety come first 6 hours from now
- DAIG ANG MAYNILA? | Jakarta has world's worst traffic but no relief seen for another decade 5 hours from now
- Nebraska could abolish death penalty 5 hours from now
- BBL will create 'sub-state' with 'equal strength' to national government - ex-UP Law Dean Magallona 5 hours from now
- Gun battles rock Mexican border city 4 hours from now
- This remote Amazon tribe in Venezuela has antibiotic resistant genes 3 hours from now
- Philippines says South China Sea dispute a global problem 2 hours from now
- Nervous return to Everest a year after deadly avalanche 1 hour from now
- OWWA reactivates Crisis Monitoring and Response Team for Yemen crisis 55 minutes from now
- Moon is about 4.47 billion years old, US researchers say 21 minutes from now