4 media workers confirmed killed by 'Yolanda' in Tacloban
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA, Philippines -- At least four media workers, all from radio, have been confirmed to have died when super typhoon “Yolanda” struck Tacloban late last week.
On Wednesday, Rommel Rutor, production supervisor of dyMS Aksyon Radyo in Catbalogan said Lottie Solarta, anchor of Tacloban radio station dyBR, relayed th message that “our media colleagues Archie Globio and Malou Realino” and that three other personnel of the station remain missing.
Rutor had also confirmed earlier the deaths of dyVL Aksyon Radyo-Tacloban reporter Ronald Vinas and technician Allan Medino when the storm surge from Yolanda struck their radio station, which is beside the sea.
Reports said the two were still on duty, with Vinas doing anchoring chores, when the super typhoon struck.
Two dependents of the station’s staff also died.
The Catbalogan broadcaster has been making regular sojourns into Tacloban both to report on the situation and gather information on the whereabouts and situation of colleagues there.
At least three other Tacloban journalists are known to have suffered injuries during Yolanda’s rampage.
Since the typhoon cut communications at its height, members of the media community have been trying to contact colleagues in Leyte and Tacloban who have yet to be heard from, although a number have since been located and confirmed safe.
- AUTHENTIC HERO | Bonifacio was PHL's first president: Bayan Muna 1 hour ago
- MERCY MISSION GONE WRONG | Air Force buddies remember Sumag's unsung hero Capt. Mike Logronio 2 hours ago
- Monsoon rains in Luzon possible until Friday - PAGASA 2 hours ago
- COCKTALES | Metrobank chair gets P2B windfall for 50th birthday 3 hours ago
- Alleged Iloilo drug lord 'Dragon', wife shot dead in Caticlan port 4 hours ago
- Cut expenses, red tape before imposing new taxes: Recto 11 hours ago
- Trump immigration policy to be 'fair and humane': campaign chief 11 hours ago
- 2-year-old Manobo boy dies in evacuation camp 11 hours ago
- Suspected 'terror' attack at Indonesian church; no serious casualties 11 hours ago
- Dozens killed as Turkey ramps up Syria offensive 11 hours ago
- German minister says talks on EU-US trade deal have 'failed' 12 hours ago
- DENR task force to crack whip on environmental crimes 12 hours ago
- Singapore reports 40 more locally transmitted Zika cases 15 hours ago
- Rody, Koko back postponement of barangay, SK elections 16 hours ago
- Govt should tap into MMDA's experience, not cut it down: ex-MMDA chair Fernando 16 hours ago