Airbus A320 allowed to resume flights to Tacloban
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA, Philippines -- Airlines have been given the green light by the Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines to resume flights to Tacloban City with Airbus A320 jets that can carry more passengers to and from the devastated capital of Leyte.
CAAP deputy director general Captain John C. Andrews also said Cebu Pacific and PalExpress have forged a temporary arrangement on Thursday allowing passengers to use their tickets to board any of the two airlines’ Tacloban-Manila flights as long as seats are available.
The first A320 to fly to Tacloban, PalExpress flight 2P 971, took off from the Ninoy Aquino International Airport Terminal 3 at 12 noon and was scheduled to arrive 1:20 p.m. Its return flight, 2P 972 was scheduled to leave Tacloban at 1:20 p.m. and arrive in Manila 3:10.
PalExpress will mount the same round-trip flight on Friday.
The carrier also operates 10 round-trip flights daily between Cebu and Tacloban using turboprop aircraft.
Cebu Pacific will also mount one daily Manila-Tacloban-Manila A320 flight Thursday and Friday and operate four flights a day between Cebu and Tacloban using an ATR aircraft until November 25.
The first Cebu-Tacloban-Cebu flight will be reserved for passengers affected by flight cancellations caused by super typhoon “Yolanda” and for humanitarian purposes.
Meanwhile, Andrews announced that on Wednesday night, the US military helped install runway lights at the Tacloban airport that will allow 10 flights of American C130 aircraft to deliver relief goods each night.
- DFA chief to Asean: Take a stand on China's massive reclamation work in West PH Sea 42 minutes ago
- Ombudsman indicts five public school officials over misuse of funds 2 hours ago
- To remove any hint of bias, groups call for formation of independent body to probe Mamasapano clash 3 hours ago
- Philippines' chief economist warns peace dividend at risk after deadly clash with MILF 3 hours ago
- Mitsubishi Motors begins production at Ford's former Philippine plant 3 hours ago
- CA affirms life term for Pasig shabu 'tiangge' operator Boratong, wife 3 hours ago
- Ecozone investments seen picking up this year 4 hours ago
- AirAsia brings back Manila-Davao flights, offers seat sale 4 hours ago
- Senate-Binay tension pits Marcos-era human rights lawyers vs scion of democracy champs 4 hours ago
- Deadline of bids for first phase of Central Luzon Link Expressway pushed back 4 hours ago
- Bucor to thaw visitation freeze at Bilibid 4 hours ago
- WEEKEND TRAFFIC ALERT | Manila Water to repair southbound lane of Edsa in Makati 5 hours ago
- TUCP seeks P136 hike in Metro Manila daily minimum wage 5 hours ago
- Power grid operator bags regulatory clearance for new transmission facility in Western Visayas 5 hours ago
- Tokyo fireworks spark Shu Uemura’s new Metal:ink makeup for Spring/Summer 2015 5 hours ago