PNoy thanks volunteers at Army repacking center
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA, Philippines -- President Benigno Aquino III visited the repacking center at Philippine Army headquarters in Fort Bonifacio Thursday night to thank volunteers even as he asked them to increase efforts for the victims of super typhoon “Yolanda.”
“Salamat po sa pagdamay niyo. Hindi po ako matatapos magpasalamat sa lahat. At kung pupuwede po sana, paspasan pa natin dahil talaga pong matindi ang pangangailangan ng mga kababayan natin doon (Thank you getting involved. I have not finished thanking everyone. And if possible, let us increase our efforts because the needs of our countrymen is really great),” Aquino told the volunteers.
“Kapag napapagod na po kayo isipin na lang natin na sa bawat pack ay may isang pamilyang nabigyan natin ng paraang magpatuloy ang buhay. Kailangan nating maibangon ang mga kababayan natin (If you grow tired, let us think that each pack is a family given a chance to continue living. We need to uplift our countrymen),” he added.
Captain Anthony Bacus, officer in charge of the Army’s Public Affairs Office, said Aquino was accompanied by Speaker Feliciano Belmonte Jr. and Army chief Lieutenant General Noel Coballes.
He said the repacking center at the Army gym was set up in partnership with the An-Waray party-list.
Bacus said the Army has dispatched 34 M35 military trucks loaded with relief goods to typhoon-stricken areas.
“A third batch of relief personnel (was) just sent out today (Thursday),” he added.
The government has come under criticism for what has been perceived to be its slow response to the disaster and in bringing relief to hundreds of thousands of victims.
On Friday, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council said 1.9 million families, or more than 9 million individuals, have been affected by Yolanda.
The agency placed damage estimates thus far at P4 billion.
- Putin snubs Erdogan in Paris as pilot's body is returned to Russia 4 hours ago
- World leaders launch bid for climate breakthrough in Paris 5 hours ago
- Poe: Lack of confidentiality in HIV/AIDS testing makes matters worse 6 hours ago
- Declaring 'new beginning,' EU and Turkey seal migrant deal 6 hours ago
- Watchdog decries PCSO practice in medical assistance 7 hours ago
- 5 key COP21 issues Pinoys ought to look out for 7 hours ago
- Smog chokes Chinese, Indian capitals as Paris climate talks begin 8 hours ago
- VIDEO | Promulgation of Laude murder case expected Tuesday 9 hours ago
- MARIE YUVIENCO | We Don't Need Rhinestones: Making a killing on the Imelda jewels 9 hours ago
- Serge: Mar whittling away campaign money 9 hours ago
- Legislature to add 4 new congressional districts 12 hours ago
- COP21 | Marcos reminds Aquino not to politicize disasters like in Yolanda 12 hours ago
- 'IT’S TIME TO SAY GOODBYE' | Kobe Bryant to retire after this season 13 hours ago
- PDEA busts two drug dens in Mabalacat 14 hours ago
- VIDEO | Mother of 'Pastillas Girl' shot dead by gunman in Caloocan 14 hours ago