PNoy thanks volunteers at Army repacking center
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA, Philippines -- President Benigno Aquino III visited the repacking center at Philippine Army headquarters in Fort Bonifacio Thursday night to thank volunteers even as he asked them to increase efforts for the victims of super typhoon “Yolanda.”
“Salamat po sa pagdamay niyo. Hindi po ako matatapos magpasalamat sa lahat. At kung pupuwede po sana, paspasan pa natin dahil talaga pong matindi ang pangangailangan ng mga kababayan natin doon (Thank you getting involved. I have not finished thanking everyone. And if possible, let us increase our efforts because the needs of our countrymen is really great),” Aquino told the volunteers.
“Kapag napapagod na po kayo isipin na lang natin na sa bawat pack ay may isang pamilyang nabigyan natin ng paraang magpatuloy ang buhay. Kailangan nating maibangon ang mga kababayan natin (If you grow tired, let us think that each pack is a family given a chance to continue living. We need to uplift our countrymen),” he added.
Captain Anthony Bacus, officer in charge of the Army’s Public Affairs Office, said Aquino was accompanied by Speaker Feliciano Belmonte Jr. and Army chief Lieutenant General Noel Coballes.
He said the repacking center at the Army gym was set up in partnership with the An-Waray party-list.
Bacus said the Army has dispatched 34 M35 military trucks loaded with relief goods to typhoon-stricken areas.
“A third batch of relief personnel (was) just sent out today (Thursday),” he added.
The government has come under criticism for what has been perceived to be its slow response to the disaster and in bringing relief to hundreds of thousands of victims.
On Friday, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council said 1.9 million families, or more than 9 million individuals, have been affected by Yolanda.
The agency placed damage estimates thus far at P4 billion.
- Singapore charges six Bangladeshis with terror financing 56 minutes ago
- WATCH | How did Congress manage to pull off fastest canvass in PH history? 1 hour ago
- Rights groups fear rise in extra-judicial killings under Duterte rule 2 hours ago
- NEVER TOO LATE | Roy Señeres, former lawmaker and ambassador, bags votes even in death 2 hours ago
- GAME OVER, NEW ERA BEGINS | Duterte, Robredo top tally for President, VP 2 hours ago
- THE VP SHOWDOWN | Which vote-rich areas did Marcos and Robredo win? 2 hours ago
- Cyber firms say Bangladesh hackers have attacked other Asian banks 3 hours ago
- Oops! | Missing Iloilo City COC was right there all along 3 hours ago
- Obama mourns dead in Hiroshima, calls for world without nuclear arms 3 hours ago
- Comelec: Rules on succession to apply in demise of San Enrique mayor 4 hours ago
- PHOTO | Bolt cutter for Northern Samar ballot box 4 hours ago
- Comelec says only 66,000 in BEIs remain unpaid, so far, not 100,000 4 hours ago
- BOI-approved investments up 64% in first 4 months of 2016, to generate 16,366 jobs 4 hours ago
- Duterte's lawyers: 'We're not pushing for an early proclamation' 5 hours ago
- Unionbank beefs up defenses vs money laundering, cyber attacks 5 hours ago