PNoy thanks volunteers at Army repacking center
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA, Philippines -- President Benigno Aquino III visited the repacking center at Philippine Army headquarters in Fort Bonifacio Thursday night to thank volunteers even as he asked them to increase efforts for the victims of super typhoon “Yolanda.”
“Salamat po sa pagdamay niyo. Hindi po ako matatapos magpasalamat sa lahat. At kung pupuwede po sana, paspasan pa natin dahil talaga pong matindi ang pangangailangan ng mga kababayan natin doon (Thank you getting involved. I have not finished thanking everyone. And if possible, let us increase our efforts because the needs of our countrymen is really great),” Aquino told the volunteers.
“Kapag napapagod na po kayo isipin na lang natin na sa bawat pack ay may isang pamilyang nabigyan natin ng paraang magpatuloy ang buhay. Kailangan nating maibangon ang mga kababayan natin (If you grow tired, let us think that each pack is a family given a chance to continue living. We need to uplift our countrymen),” he added.
Captain Anthony Bacus, officer in charge of the Army’s Public Affairs Office, said Aquino was accompanied by Speaker Feliciano Belmonte Jr. and Army chief Lieutenant General Noel Coballes.
He said the repacking center at the Army gym was set up in partnership with the An-Waray party-list.
Bacus said the Army has dispatched 34 M35 military trucks loaded with relief goods to typhoon-stricken areas.
“A third batch of relief personnel (was) just sent out today (Thursday),” he added.
The government has come under criticism for what has been perceived to be its slow response to the disaster and in bringing relief to hundreds of thousands of victims.
On Friday, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council said 1.9 million families, or more than 9 million individuals, have been affected by Yolanda.
The agency placed damage estimates thus far at P4 billion.
- Inflation dips to all-time low of 0.6% in August 8 hours from now
- VIDEO | VP Binay fields tackles serious issues at 'Happy Hour' forum at News5 7 hours from now
- Village of 1,000 quarantined after Ebola death in Sierra Leone 7 hours from now
- Thai probe hits hurdle; no bomb match to suspects' DNA 6 hours from now
- VIDEO | 'Batang Anghel' task force probes Batangas 'child abductions' 5 hours from now
- VP Binay recommends: Split up transportation, communication in DOTC 4 hours from now
- Drilon scores DA for 'messy' budget 3 hours from now
- VIDEO | DILG clears EDSA, DPWH prepares for HPG takeover of traffic tasks 2 hours from now
- Baler police release sketch of suspect in Judge Alaba slay 1 hour from now
- Putin: Europe migrant crisis was to be 'expected' 39 minutes from now
- 10th ID arrests suspected rebel leader in Compostela Valley 8 minutes from now
- Drilon: LP giving up on Poe for VP slot; Ate Vi, Robredo in radar 15 minutes ago
- WEEKEND GUIDE | Sept. 4 to 6: Travel Mart, 1st Manila Picnic Pop-up, and Tres Marias 17 minutes ago
- Water cannon, barbed wire, Metrocom: A taste of life as ML activist at The Great LEAN Run 1 hour ago
- House approves mandatory speed limiter installation 2 hours ago