PEOPLE-TO-PEOPLE | If you're in Metro Manila, you can help Visayan refugees
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA - The Philippine Air Force said volunteers are welcome at its repacking site at Villamor Airbase, as private individuals took it upon themselves to organize ways to help refugees from typhoon-ravaged Tacloban City, who have begun arriving at Villamor Air Base in Pasay City this week.
According to Facebook user "Ryan Waitforit Rayos", the refugees are arriving "in hundreds" every day, and need to be given "emotional debriefing", as well as "directions to where they need to go." Those who wish to help may contact him atÂ www.facebook.com/rowanxzurich.
Another Facebook user, Golda Benjamin (www.facebook.com/golda.benjamin), called on volunteers to drive the survivors to their friends and families in Metro Manila.
"Go to the DSWD (Department of Social Welfare and Development) desk at the Grandstand of the Villamor Air Base," she wrote in her post. They can contact Glenda Derla of the DSWD atÂ 0906-468-0287.
Volunteers welcome at Villamor repacking site
When asked to verify the posts circulating on social media, the Public Information Office (PIO) of the Philippine Air Force told InterAksyon.com that the repacking of relief goods was ongoing at the Villamor Air Base gym, and that volunteers could just walk in.
Those who wanted to help in the debriefing were likewise instructed to just go to the site. Their background will still be checked, as well, before they can be approved to help.
The Officers' Ladies Club, who are composed of the officials' wives, are in charge of organizing the team, said the PIO.
The latter added that volunteers will be given instructions at the Villamor Air Base itself.
On its Twitter page @TeamAFP, the Armed Forces of the Philippines urged their followers to support "Adopt a day - need volunteers at Villamor Air Base to greet and help victims arriving from Visayas."
Learn more about the activity here:Â http://www.wheninmanila.com/adopt-a-day-need-volunteers-at-villamor-airbase-to-greet-and-help-victims-arriving-from-visayas/.
- BAGYO SA TAG-ARAW | As Maysak moves toward PH, Pag-asa announces start of warm days 8 hours from now
- PET LIFE | Alyanna's Fitness Party invades PAWS: Changing the world, one dog and cat at a time 7 hours from now
- 10 armed men take 3 minors as shields from pursuing cops in Zambo Sur 7 hours from now
- Philippine stock index begins second quarter at fresh record 7 hours from now
- Yemen air strikes kill 23 in factory: residents 6 hours from now
- Please just answer the questions on Mamasapano, party-list solon tells PNoy 5 hours from now
- REMEMBER | 494 years ago, first Catholic mass held in Limasawa, Southern Leyte 5 hours from now
- Pilgrims flock to historic cave of guerrillas in Southern Leyte for Holy Week 4 hours from now
- IMF hikes 2015 growth forecast for Philippines 4 hours from now
- After 2-day strike and strike threat, union forges CBA at Korea-owned factory in Cavite ecozone 4 hours from now
- Asian stocks sag, dollar falls vs yen as Nikkei recoils 3 hours from now
- Globe says work on new underwater cable linking PH, US begins 3 hours from now
- World's oldest person dies in Japan a month after celebrating 117th birthday 3 hours from now
- Cop suffers heart attack, dies, after drug suspect he tried to arrest goes wild 3 hours from now
- Ayala Group pushes back timetable for Daang Hari-SLEX PPP project 3 hours from now