PEOPLE-TO-PEOPLE | If you're in Metro Manila, you can help Visayan refugees
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA - The Philippine Air Force said volunteers are welcome at its repacking site at Villamor Airbase, as private individuals took it upon themselves to organize ways to help refugees from typhoon-ravaged Tacloban City, who have begun arriving at Villamor Air Base in Pasay City this week.
According to Facebook user "Ryan Waitforit Rayos", the refugees are arriving "in hundreds" every day, and need to be given "emotional debriefing", as well as "directions to where they need to go." Those who wish to help may contact him atÂ www.facebook.com/rowanxzurich.
Another Facebook user, Golda Benjamin (www.facebook.com/golda.benjamin), called on volunteers to drive the survivors to their friends and families in Metro Manila.
"Go to the DSWD (Department of Social Welfare and Development) desk at the Grandstand of the Villamor Air Base," she wrote in her post. They can contact Glenda Derla of the DSWD atÂ 0906-468-0287.
Volunteers welcome at Villamor repacking site
When asked to verify the posts circulating on social media, the Public Information Office (PIO) of the Philippine Air Force told InterAksyon.com that the repacking of relief goods was ongoing at the Villamor Air Base gym, and that volunteers could just walk in.
Those who wanted to help in the debriefing were likewise instructed to just go to the site. Their background will still be checked, as well, before they can be approved to help.
The Officers' Ladies Club, who are composed of the officials' wives, are in charge of organizing the team, said the PIO.
The latter added that volunteers will be given instructions at the Villamor Air Base itself.
On its Twitter page @TeamAFP, the Armed Forces of the Philippines urged their followers to support "Adopt a day - need volunteers at Villamor Air Base to greet and help victims arriving from Visayas."
Learn more about the activity here:Â http://www.wheninmanila.com/adopt-a-day-need-volunteers-at-villamor-airbase-to-greet-and-help-victims-arriving-from-visayas/.
- Coast Guard intercepts 1,700 bags of smuggled rice in Palawan 8 hours from now
- Hundreds in Canada rally for women's topless rights 7 hours from now
- Actress Charlize Theron adopts baby girl in US 2 hours from now
- Around 30 arrested over violence at Finland neo-Nazi march 2 hours from now
- French tourist arrested for photographing Greek army camp 1 hour from now
- Migrant bids to reach Britain fall as security tightened 1 hour from now
- Greece arrests three suspected migrant boat raiders 57 minutes from now
- South Africa's Tutu to remain in hospital for 'another few days' 26 minutes from now
- IS detains four journalism students in Iraq - watchdog 11 minutes from now
- Exiled Yemen PM, officials in Aden to lead restoration 2 minutes ago
- Crowds cheer Bangladesh-India land swap after 70 years in limbo 51 minutes ago
- Wing part arrives in France for probe into MH370 link 1 hour ago
- Angelina Jolie, Suu Kyi meet women garment workers in Myanmar 2 hours ago
- HABAGAT AND 'HANNA' | PAGASA sees more rains due to monsoon, approaching storm 5 hours ago
- Accenture, EXL seen hiring more Filipino nurses after U.S. Supreme Court clears Obamacare 6 hours ago