PEOPLE-TO-PEOPLE | If you're in Metro Manila, you can help Visayan refugees
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA - The Philippine Air Force said volunteers are welcome at its repacking site at Villamor Airbase, as private individuals took it upon themselves to organize ways to help refugees from typhoon-ravaged Tacloban City, who have begun arriving at Villamor Air Base in Pasay City this week.
According to Facebook user "Ryan Waitforit Rayos", the refugees are arriving "in hundreds" every day, and need to be given "emotional debriefing", as well as "directions to where they need to go." Those who wish to help may contact him at www.facebook.com/rowanxzurich.
Another Facebook user, Golda Benjamin (www.facebook.com/golda.benjamin), called on volunteers to drive the survivors to their friends and families in Metro Manila.
"Go to the DSWD (Department of Social Welfare and Development) desk at the Grandstand of the Villamor Air Base," she wrote in her post. They can contact Glenda Derla of the DSWD at 0906-468-0287.
Volunteers welcome at Villamor repacking site
When asked to verify the posts circulating on social media, the Public Information Office (PIO) of the Philippine Air Force told InterAksyon.com that the repacking of relief goods was ongoing at the Villamor Air Base gym, and that volunteers could just walk in.
Those who wanted to help in the debriefing were likewise instructed to just go to the site. Their background will still be checked, as well, before they can be approved to help.
The Officers' Ladies Club, who are composed of the officials' wives, are in charge of organizing the team, said the PIO.
The latter added that volunteers will be given instructions at the Villamor Air Base itself.
On its Twitter page @TeamAFP, the Armed Forces of the Philippines urged their followers to support "Adopt a day - need volunteers at Villamor Air Base to greet and help victims arriving from Visayas."
Learn more about the activity here: http://www.wheninmanila.com/adopt-a-day-need-volunteers-at-villamor-airbase-to-greet-and-help-victims-arriving-from-visayas/.
- COCKTALES | Abad wife outranks Drilon, Belmonte salary-wise 6 minutes ago
- PHOTO | Senate issues arrest warrant for Makati Mayor Junjun Binay, 6 others 18 minutes ago
- South Cotabato's quarry, mining revenues drop by P1.25 million in 2014 27 minutes ago
- Comelec issues writ of execution; orders Antique Gov. Javier to vacate post 53 minutes ago
- Government solicits bids for Ilijan power plant's diesel supply contract 57 minutes ago
- 7-Eleven licensee hikes capex for Philippine expansion 1 hour ago
- Oil falls after Greek election sends euro tumbling 2 hours ago
- EUROPE SHAKEUP | Wary Brussels to seek middle ground with Greece's Tsipras 2 hours ago
- Govt 'deeply saddened' by PNP-SAF, MILF clash in Maguindanao 2 hours ago
- POST-CLASH | Marcos suspends Bangsamoro Basic Law hearings, Biazon makes similar call for House 3 hours ago
- PH fashion experts criticize Bb. Pilipinas Charities for bias against Filipino designers 3 hours ago
- All Catholic churches in Central Visayas to serve as signing stations in anti-pork barrel drive 3 hours ago
- Euro, stocks fall as anti-austerity party wins Greek election 4 hours ago
- Government orders use of Ilijan power plant to mitigate electricity shortfall during summer 4 hours ago
- Gazmin, Roxas, and police, military chiefs off to Maguindanao to avoid spillover of violence 4 hours ago