PHOTO | Empire State Building lights up for the Philippines
The online news portal of TV5
The iconic Empire State Building in New York City lit up Friday evening with the colors of the Philippine flag to raise awareness on the supertyphoon tragedy that struck the country a week ago.
The colored lights red, white, blue, and yellow, which represented the country's flag, will be up for the next two days beginning Friday, according to a report.
"Walking down 7th Avenue to the train station on a particularly stressful Friday, I looked up and saw the Empire State in the red, blue, yellow and white of the Philippines," said Miya David, a Filipino currently residing in the Big Apple taking her masters at the CUNY Graduate School of Journalism, in a message to InterAksyon.com. "It was the most beautiful I've seen from the landmark since I've been here."
"I've been touched by the concern of professors and classmates here in New York regarding the devastation brought by typhoon Yolanda (Haiyan) on our country," David said.
Here are the other photos from social media:
- Saudi Arabia says won't cut oil output 15 minutes ago
- Meralco likely to offer prepaid metering within first quarter of 2015 31 minutes ago
- FREE FOR XMAS | Anti-graft court grants GMA wish for Christmas furlough 45 minutes ago
- DMCI selling stake in Tarlac-Pangasinan-La Union Expressway 50 minutes ago
- OPINION | How to pay North Korea back for Sony hack? An ex-CIA analyst has one proposition 1 hour ago
- Asian shares take cue from Wall Street's rally 1 hour ago
- US officers shoot Canadian man on border bridge 1 hour ago
- Even the French turning queasy over force-fed foie gras 2 hours ago
- VIDEO | Touch-free smart phone empowers mobility-impaired 2 hours ago
- PARA KAY P-NOY | What do urban-poor kids want for Christmas? 2 hours ago
- Palawan island transfer service now available exclusive for AirAsia passengers 3 hours ago
- IMF policies criticized over Ebola outbreak 3 hours ago
- Soldier kills comrade, civilian in Cotabato City 4 hours ago
- HOTEL OF THE WEEK | B P International in Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong 4 hours ago
- What are the top 10 science breakthroughs of the year? 4 hours ago