PHOTO | Empire State Building lights up for the Philippines
The online news portal of TV5
The iconic Empire State Building in New York City lit up Friday evening with the colors of the Philippine flag to raise awareness on the supertyphoon tragedy that struck the country a week ago.
The colored lights red, white, blue, and yellow, which represented the country's flag, will be up for the next two days beginning Friday, according to a report.
"Walking down 7th Avenue to the train station on a particularly stressful Friday, I looked up and saw the Empire State in the red, blue, yellow and white of the Philippines,"Â said Miya David, a Filipino currently residing in the Big Apple taking her mastersÂ at the CUNY Graduate School of Journalism, in a message to InterAksyon.com. "It was the most beautiful I've seen from the landmark since I've been here."
"I've been touched by the concern of professors and classmates here in New York regarding the devastation brought by typhoon Yolanda (Haiyan) on our country," David said.
Here are the other photos from social media:
- Europe recalls the horror 70 years after Nazi camps liberated 8 hours from now
- Volcano ash causing misery for Chile, Argentina 7 hours from now
- India rushes 13 military aircraft with aid to quake-hit Nepal 6 hours from now
- Too early for common SE Asia time zone: diplomats 5 hours from now
- Palace exaggerating power crisis on DOE's dictates – Osmena 4 hours from now
- Saudi-led air strikes hit Yemeni capital, ships shell Aden: residents 3 hours from now
- Single toll collection to stay for motorists passing through NLEX, SCTEX 2 hours from now
- 5 Hollywood-style studios ready by yearend, says ABS-CBN 2 hours from now
- Asean, EU seek to jump-start free-trade talks 2 hours from now
- Maybank's Philippine unit grows profit by more than twofold 2 hours from now
- Suspected NPA rebels execute fisherman in front of village chapel 2 hours from now
- Malaysia police say violent plot foiled ahead of summit 35 minutes from now
- Aquino to appeal for Mary Jane's life at Malaysia summit 3 minutes from now
- NINJA MAMA | 7 guilt-free advice for working mothers 39 minutes ago
- Puerto Princesa inaugurates solar panels atop City Hall 42 minutes ago