PHOTO | Empire State Building lights up for the Philippines
The online news portal of TV5
The iconic Empire State Building in New York City lit up Friday evening with the colors of the Philippine flag to raise awareness on the supertyphoon tragedy that struck the country a week ago.
The colored lights red, white, blue, and yellow, which represented the country's flag, will be up for the next two days beginning Friday, according to a report.
"Walking down 7th Avenue to the train station on a particularly stressful Friday, I looked up and saw the Empire State in the red, blue, yellow and white of the Philippines," said Miya David, a Filipino currently residing in the Big Apple taking her masters at the CUNY Graduate School of Journalism, in a message to InterAksyon.com. "It was the most beautiful I've seen from the landmark since I've been here."
"I've been touched by the concern of professors and classmates here in New York regarding the devastation brought by typhoon Yolanda (Haiyan) on our country," David said.
Here are the other photos from social media:
- Russia under fire at UN as air strikes pound Syria's Aleppo 27 minutes ago
- PAL, EL AL sign accord to bolster air links between PH and Israel 48 minutes ago
- COCKTALES | Forced Ayala Alabangate opening highlights minefields for Tugade plan 2 hours ago
- France at UN says war crimes committed in Syria's Aleppo 8 hours ago
- Embattled Boko Haram leader Shekau resurfaces in video 9 hours ago
- Election period still exists sans law postponing Oct. 31 Bgay, SK polls: Macalintal 10 hours ago
- Phantom of the Opera 'curse' hits as fire menaces Paris debut 10 hours ago
- Jordan writer in anti-Islam case shot dead at court 11 hours ago
- Misdiagnosed, man spends 43 years in wheelchair, then learns he can walk, after all 12 hours ago
- SC reminds PNP anew: Follow rules on warrantless arrest 13 hours ago
- RCEP, Beijing's response to US-led trading-bloc, just as bad - CPP 15 hours ago
- Duterte set to visit Vietnam this week - Palace 15 hours ago
- Police search for motive in deadly Washington state mall shooting 15 hours ago
- BEWARE | Etihad warns public vs bogus site offering ticket promo 16 hours ago
- New ISAFP chief assumes post 16 hours ago