Typhoon Yolanda death toll jumps to 5,209 - NDRRMC
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA, Philippines - The death toll from “Yolanda” jumped to 5,209 as of Friday evening, the chief of the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said, as more bodies were accounted for two weeks since the super typhoon struck, hitting five regions.
For the hardest-hit Region 8 or Eastern Visayas alone, the number of fatalities now stands at 4,919, said Executive Director Eduardo del Rosario. He said the number of those injured swelled to 23,404 while the number of missing is 1,611. Del Rosario said the numbers could still increase.
The total fatality count is now twice the maximum estimate of 2,500 earlier announced by President Benigno Aquino III.
According to Del Rosario, the bodies recovered in the latest retrievals were more than 1,700.
He walked reporters through the central disaster agency’s validation process, by way of explaining the jump in the fatality count: “These bodies were the ones recovered the last few days, which needed to be validated before being consolidated with the first batches."
"That’s why I explained yesterday that the numbers for each town or city should come from the mayor’s office and signed by their respective health officers," said Del Rosario.
"So, now we’ve validated these, and that’s why I promised you this morning that definitely we will be seeing changes today in the casualty count, since slowly we are getting official validation and confirmation from the municipal mayor and the municipal health officer," he added.
- With 18,000 HIV cases, Indonesia's Papua province battles AIDS epidemic 2 hours ago
- VIDEO | On World AIDS Day, condom maker calls for safe-sex emoticon 3 hours ago
- #TINDOGTAYO2016 | Mar highlights need to prepare for disasters 3 hours ago
- COP21 | Warm countries launch Sun-energy alliance 4 hours ago
- THE LAUDE VERDICT | It's homicide, then the impasse ... 4 hours ago
- Sacked INC minister Menorca a no-show at CA hearing of habeas corpus, amparo petitions 4 hours ago
- 'Botched' India cataract surgery leaves 15 with sight loss 5 hours ago
- PUBLISHED | The Comelec ruling disqualifying Grace Poe 5 hours ago
- Beijing smog fails to obscure ‘apocalypse’ humor 6 hours ago
- Comelec disqualifies Grace Poe on residency issue 6 hours ago
- Digong expresses sadness, regret over remark on Pope Francis 7 hours ago
- Pemberton meted 6 to 12 years for homicide in Jennifer Laude case 9 hours ago
- MMDA to pause road excavations starting December 14 9 hours ago
- Chiz: As PNoy pitches lower carbon emissions at COP21, PH uses more coal than renewables 9 hours ago
- SC issues TRO against 'no bio, no boto' 10 hours ago