Typhoon Yolanda death toll jumps to 5,209 - NDRRMC
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA, Philippines - The death toll from “Yolanda” jumped to 5,209 as of Friday evening, the chief of the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said, as more bodies were accounted for two weeks since the super typhoon struck, hitting five regions.
For the hardest-hit Region 8 or Eastern Visayas alone, the number of fatalities now stands at 4,919, said Executive Director Eduardo del Rosario. He said the number of those injured swelled to 23,404 while the number of missing is 1,611. Del Rosario said the numbers could still increase.
The total fatality count is now twice the maximum estimate of 2,500 earlier announced by President Benigno Aquino III.
According to Del Rosario, the bodies recovered in the latest retrievals were more than 1,700.
He walked reporters through the central disaster agency’s validation process, by way of explaining the jump in the fatality count: “These bodies were the ones recovered the last few days, which needed to be validated before being consolidated with the first batches."
"That’s why I explained yesterday that the numbers for each town or city should come from the mayor’s office and signed by their respective health officers," said Del Rosario.
"So, now we’ve validated these, and that’s why I promised you this morning that definitely we will be seeing changes today in the casualty count, since slowly we are getting official validation and confirmation from the municipal mayor and the municipal health officer," he added.
- 'Big data' could be huge in 2016 US vote 1 hour ago
- Duterte to skip Joint Canvass Committee proclamation 2 hours ago
- Dagupan mayor vows to enforce city ordinance and remove all illegal fish pens 3 hours ago
- 1 dead, several injured as lightning storms hit Europe 3 hours ago
- Communist rebels' peace negotiator blames PNoy, political advisers for breakdown of talks 3 hours ago
- Eastern Visayas farmers asked to prepare for La Nina 4 hours ago
- Brazil arrests first suspect after shocking gang-rape video 4 hours ago
- 2 minors hurt in Maguindanao rifle grenade attack 4 hours ago
- WHO rejects calls to move Olympics over Zika fears 5 hours ago
- NBA player Bryce Dejean-Jones killed in Dallas shooting 5 hours ago
- Palace: DAP executive actions attended by good faith 16 hours ago
- Bishop Pabillo: FM burial at Libingan would be divisive 17 hours ago
- BBM threatens legal action after election loss 19 hours ago
- Malaysia accepts 68 Syrian refugees 20 hours ago
- LOOK | Fire hits Baguio Engineer's Hill motor pool compound 20 hours ago