Typhoon Yolanda death toll jumps to 5,209 - NDRRMC
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA, Philippines - The death toll from “Yolanda” jumped to 5,209 as of Friday evening, the chief of the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said, as more bodies were accounted for two weeks since the super typhoon struck, hitting five regions.
For the hardest-hit Region 8 or Eastern Visayas alone, the number of fatalities now stands at 4,919, said Executive Director Eduardo del Rosario. He said the number of those injured swelled to 23,404 while the number of missing is 1,611. Del Rosario said the numbers could still increase.
The total fatality count is now twice the maximum estimate of 2,500 earlier announced by President Benigno Aquino III.
According to Del Rosario, the bodies recovered in the latest retrievals were more than 1,700.
He walked reporters through the central disaster agency’s validation process, by way of explaining the jump in the fatality count: “These bodies were the ones recovered the last few days, which needed to be validated before being consolidated with the first batches."
"That’s why I explained yesterday that the numbers for each town or city should come from the mayor’s office and signed by their respective health officers," said Del Rosario.
"So, now we’ve validated these, and that’s why I promised you this morning that definitely we will be seeing changes today in the casualty count, since slowly we are getting official validation and confirmation from the municipal mayor and the municipal health officer," he added.
- Matobato: Duterte and Lascanas were very close, the mayor even thanked cop for cleaning up Davao 8 minutes ago
- Senators vote 10-7-5 to approve reopening probe on Davao Death Squad - sources 7 hours ago
- WATCH | CHED suspends field trips, educational tours 7 hours ago
- Dutch employment agency illegally recruited Pinoy seamen to work in the Netherlands 8 hours ago
- SC affirms graft, malversation raps vs Napoles, 2 others over PDAF scam 8 hours ago
- DOJ mulls filing of perjury, murder raps vs Lascañas 8 hours ago
- CRITICAL RENAL CARE | PhilHealth recognizes De Los Santos Med for kidney transplantation 9 hours ago
- MEL STA. MARIA | Why February 25 should be remembered 9 hours ago
- WATCH | Ill-fated bus in Tanay mishap not hired by Bestlink 10 hours ago
- China opposes US naval patrols in South China Sea 13 hours ago
- PSEi sustains rise, PHP weakens due to uncertainty in global financial markets 13 hours ago
- Landbank's 2016 net income up 2% 14 hours ago
- ASEAN unsettled by China weapon systems, tension in South China Sea 14 hours ago
- Retrofitting of Quezon Bridge completed: DPWH 16 hours ago
- 'SABONG' OVER OUSTER 'PLOT' | Palace journos to Andanar: What do you know that DND, NSA don't? 17 hours ago