Typhoon Yolanda death toll jumps to 5,209 - NDRRMC
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA, Philippines - The death toll from “Yolanda” jumped to 5,209 as of Friday evening, the chief of the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said, as more bodies were accounted for two weeks since the super typhoon struck, hitting five regions.
For the hardest-hit Region 8 or Eastern Visayas alone, the number of fatalities now stands at 4,919, said Executive Director Eduardo del Rosario. He said the number of those injured swelled to 23,404 while the number of missing is 1,611. Del Rosario said the numbers could still increase.
The total fatality count is now twice the maximum estimate of 2,500 earlier announced by President Benigno Aquino III.
According to Del Rosario, the bodies recovered in the latest retrievals were more than 1,700.
He walked reporters through the central disaster agency’s validation process, by way of explaining the jump in the fatality count: “These bodies were the ones recovered the last few days, which needed to be validated before being consolidated with the first batches."
"That’s why I explained yesterday that the numbers for each town or city should come from the mayor’s office and signed by their respective health officers," said Del Rosario.
"So, now we’ve validated these, and that’s why I promised you this morning that definitely we will be seeing changes today in the casualty count, since slowly we are getting official validation and confirmation from the municipal mayor and the municipal health officer," he added.
- Yemeni Houthis launch missile toward Mecca - report 15 minutes ago
- After promise to God to stop cussing, Duterte explains it's about ‘timing’ 31 minutes ago
- Mayor of Maguindanao’s pink mosque town among 10 slain in shootout with cops - reports 51 minutes ago
- World's largest marine park created in Antarctic Ocean 1 hour ago
- Armed protesters who occupied Oregon refuge acquitted 2 hours ago
- Trump running mate's plane skids off NY runway 2 hours ago
- LOOK | MPD goes tit for tat, files criminal raps vs activists over violent US embassy rally 2 hours ago
- ‘MY GIRL’ | Michelle Obama makes pitch for Hillary in joint appearance 3 hours ago
- China accuses Japan of endangering its aircraft 4 hours ago
- MARIE YUVIENCO | An Affair to Dismember 4 hours ago
- COCKTALES | Lucio Tan to cede management control of beer business to Heineken 4 hours ago
- ‘NEW HIGHS’ | After Duterte, Malaysia’s Najib seeks closer ties to China 5 hours ago
- Police begin removing protesters from Dakota pipeline encampment 5 hours ago
- WATCH | 'Goodbye Joe?’ It's not that easy - defense expert 5 hours ago
- WATCH | Security in transport terminals, ports tightened ahead of Undas 10 hours ago