Typhoon Yolanda death toll jumps to 5,209 - NDRRMC
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA, Philippines - The death toll from âYolandaâ jumped to 5,209 as of Friday evening, the chief of the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said, as more bodies were accounted for two weeks since the super typhoon struck, hitting five regions.
For the hardest-hit Region 8 or Eastern Visayas alone, the number of fatalities now stands at 4,919, said Executive Director Eduardo del Rosario.Â He said the number of those injured swelled to 23,404 while the number of missing is 1,611. Del Rosario said the numbers could still increase.
The total fatality count is now twice the maximum estimate of 2,500 earlier announced by President Benigno Aquino III.
According to Del Rosario, the bodies recovered in the latest retrievals were more than 1,700.
He walked reporters through the central disaster agencyâs validation process, by way of explaining the jump in the fatality count: âThese bodies were the ones recovered the last few days, which needed to be validated before being consolidated with the first batches."
"Thatâs why I explained yesterday that the numbers for each town or city should come from the mayorâs office and signed by their respective health officers," said Del Rosario.
"So, now weâve validated these, and thatâs why I promised you this morning that definitely we will be seeing changes today in the casualty count, since slowly we are getting official validation and confirmation from the municipal mayor and the municipal health officer," he added.Â
- Indonesia rebuffs last-ditch bids to delay drug-convict executions 6 hours from now
- US, Japan unveil new defense guidelines for global Japanese role 5 hours from now
- Dozens of soldiers, civilians killed in fresh Boko Haram violence 5 hours from now
- Nepalis flee quake-devastated capital as death toll passes 4,000 4 hours from now
- Reporters caught between terrorists, governments: watchdog 3 hours from now
- Choppers rescue climbers stranded for 2 days at high altitude on Everest 3 hours from now
- Australian convict marries girlfriend, as Indonesia execution looms 2 hours from now
- PHOTOS | Vigils held around the world, Manny Pacquiao joins pleas for Veloso's life 40 minutes from now
- WHO: Half of the world's population live in cities 18 minutes from now
- Comelec says Smartmatic-TIM can still join negotiated bid for refurbishing PCOS machines 9 minutes from now
- Laude family pleads before Supreme Court to allow live coverage of murder trial 14 minutes ago
- Chinese Coast Guard water cannons Filipino fishing boat, points gun at skipper in Panatag Shoal 1 hour ago
- Koko seeks probe on political pressure in BOC chief's resignation 1 hour ago
- Indonesian court junks second petition for review for Veloso 2 hours ago
- NBI poises charges vs Mary Jane's recruiters 3 hours ago