Typhoon Yolanda death toll jumps to 5,209 - NDRRMC
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA, Philippines - The death toll from “Yolanda” jumped to 5,209 as of Friday evening, the chief of the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said, as more bodies were accounted for two weeks since the super typhoon struck, hitting five regions.
For the hardest-hit Region 8 or Eastern Visayas alone, the number of fatalities now stands at 4,919, said Executive Director Eduardo del Rosario. He said the number of those injured swelled to 23,404 while the number of missing is 1,611. Del Rosario said the numbers could still increase.
The total fatality count is now twice the maximum estimate of 2,500 earlier announced by President Benigno Aquino III.
According to Del Rosario, the bodies recovered in the latest retrievals were more than 1,700.
He walked reporters through the central disaster agency’s validation process, by way of explaining the jump in the fatality count: “These bodies were the ones recovered the last few days, which needed to be validated before being consolidated with the first batches."
"That’s why I explained yesterday that the numbers for each town or city should come from the mayor’s office and signed by their respective health officers," said Del Rosario.
"So, now we’ve validated these, and that’s why I promised you this morning that definitely we will be seeing changes today in the casualty count, since slowly we are getting official validation and confirmation from the municipal mayor and the municipal health officer," he added.
- Ahead of address to nation, Aquino asked: 'Did you approve Mamasapano mission?' 8 minutes ago
- CBCP saddened over Mamasapano but cautions vs scuttling peace process 37 minutes ago
- Expect mainly good weather except for isolated rains 54 minutes ago
- WHO GAVE THE GREEN LIGHT? | Ex-servicemen in House wonder why PNP OIC kept in dark about Mamasapano 1 hour ago
- MEL STA.MARIA | SC Estrada ruling on absolute pardon exponentially raises impunity 1 hour ago
- TO EASE TENSION? Marine battalion redeployed to Maguindanao 1 hour ago
- Wall Street falls 1 percent on earnings; Apple rallies late 2 hours ago
- Oil jumps on weaker dollar; traders wary of stock build 2 hours ago
- 42 SAF men lie in state in Army camp, to be brought to Crame Thursday 2 hours ago
- Angeles City govt denies rounding up street children for APEC 3 hours ago
- Australia temperatures rising faster than rest of the world: official report 4 hours ago
- Astronomers find oldest known star with Earth-like planets 5 hours ago
- Pilot of drone that crashed at White House works for US intel 5 hours ago
- Scientists ask if Ebola immunizes as well as kills 5 hours ago
- Obama seeks close, candid ties to Saudi king: aide 6 hours ago