Typhoon Yolanda death toll jumps to 5,209 - NDRRMC
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA, Philippines - The death toll from “Yolanda” jumped to 5,209 as of Friday evening, the chief of the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said, as more bodies were accounted for two weeks since the super typhoon struck, hitting five regions.
For the hardest-hit Region 8 or Eastern Visayas alone, the number of fatalities now stands at 4,919, said Executive Director Eduardo del Rosario. He said the number of those injured swelled to 23,404 while the number of missing is 1,611. Del Rosario said the numbers could still increase.
The total fatality count is now twice the maximum estimate of 2,500 earlier announced by President Benigno Aquino III.
According to Del Rosario, the bodies recovered in the latest retrievals were more than 1,700.
He walked reporters through the central disaster agency’s validation process, by way of explaining the jump in the fatality count: “These bodies were the ones recovered the last few days, which needed to be validated before being consolidated with the first batches."
"That’s why I explained yesterday that the numbers for each town or city should come from the mayor’s office and signed by their respective health officers," said Del Rosario.
"So, now we’ve validated these, and that’s why I promised you this morning that definitely we will be seeing changes today in the casualty count, since slowly we are getting official validation and confirmation from the municipal mayor and the municipal health officer," he added.
- More than funding, coordination and better project planning key to infra blueprint: experts 2 hours ago
- Belgian investors eye renewable energy 2 hours ago
- MARIE YUVIENCO | Ambiguous definitions 3 hours ago
- Millions at risk from rising water pollution: UN 3 hours ago
- Lacson voices concerns about congressmen intervening in P3.35-T 2017 nat'l budget 5 hours ago
- WATCH | Pangasinan board member Raul Sison denies role in ‘Bilibid matrix’ 5 hours ago
- SC junks petitions of Napoles, others on plunder charges by Ombudsman 6 hours ago
- Strong typhoon Lionrock slams into Japan's northeast 8 hours ago
- PHL considers provisional fishing agreement with China in Scarborough Shoal 8 hours ago
- WATCH | Does Senate Ethics panel have jurisdiction over De Lima case? Peers uncertain 8 hours ago
- Philippines says China must recognize South China Sea ruling 9 hours ago
- Vietnam says all will lose in any South China Sea war 10 hours ago
- Bangladesh upholds Islamist tycoon's death sentence 10 hours ago
- CA stops PCC probe of PLDT-Globe buyout of San Miguel's telco assets 10 hours ago
- Nearly 900 drug suspects killed in police ops since July 1, 2016 11 hours ago