Typhoon Yolanda death toll jumps to 5,209 - NDRRMC
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA, Philippines - The death toll from “Yolanda” jumped to 5,209 as of Friday evening, the chief of the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said, as more bodies were accounted for two weeks since the super typhoon struck, hitting five regions.
For the hardest-hit Region 8 or Eastern Visayas alone, the number of fatalities now stands at 4,919, said Executive Director Eduardo del Rosario. He said the number of those injured swelled to 23,404 while the number of missing is 1,611. Del Rosario said the numbers could still increase.
The total fatality count is now twice the maximum estimate of 2,500 earlier announced by President Benigno Aquino III.
According to Del Rosario, the bodies recovered in the latest retrievals were more than 1,700.
He walked reporters through the central disaster agency’s validation process, by way of explaining the jump in the fatality count: “These bodies were the ones recovered the last few days, which needed to be validated before being consolidated with the first batches."
"That’s why I explained yesterday that the numbers for each town or city should come from the mayor’s office and signed by their respective health officers," said Del Rosario.
"So, now we’ve validated these, and that’s why I promised you this morning that definitely we will be seeing changes today in the casualty count, since slowly we are getting official validation and confirmation from the municipal mayor and the municipal health officer," he added.
- Trump says Brexit a model for his own campaign 17 minutes ago
- New Scotland independence referendum 'highly likely' 1 hour ago
- Indonesia bans ships from Philippines after latest kidnapping 1 hour ago
- WORST IN A CENTURY | At least 20 dead in West Virginia floods 2 hours ago
- China won't bend rules for India to join nuclear club 2 hours ago
- Nexit, Frexit or Italeave? British vote fires up EU's 'Outers' 3 hours ago
- Viva Shaq! Obama names hoops legend as Cuba envoy 3 hours ago
- 'YELLOWXIT' BUT NO U.S. EXIT | How Pinoys relate to Brexit 5 hours ago
- World’s major central banks ready plans after Brexit vote 8 hours ago
- Firefighters injured, dozens of homes destroyed in central California wildfire 9 hours ago
- Peso falls vs US dollar folllowing ‘Brexit’ result 10 hours ago
- Chinese poachers pay P9-M compromise fine 10 hours ago
- Eurosceptics cry victory, say Nexit, Frexit are next 11 hours ago
- WATCH | 6 election commissioners disappointed at Comelec chief's performance 11 hours ago
- WORLD CLASS | Basey's bags made of hand woven mats at Ambiente intl trade show 11 hours ago