Typhoon Yolanda death toll jumps to 5,209 - NDRRMC
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA, Philippines - The death toll from “Yolanda” jumped to 5,209 as of Friday evening, the chief of the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said, as more bodies were accounted for two weeks since the super typhoon struck, hitting five regions.
For the hardest-hit Region 8 or Eastern Visayas alone, the number of fatalities now stands at 4,919, said Executive Director Eduardo del Rosario. He said the number of those injured swelled to 23,404 while the number of missing is 1,611. Del Rosario said the numbers could still increase.
The total fatality count is now twice the maximum estimate of 2,500 earlier announced by President Benigno Aquino III.
According to Del Rosario, the bodies recovered in the latest retrievals were more than 1,700.
He walked reporters through the central disaster agency’s validation process, by way of explaining the jump in the fatality count: “These bodies were the ones recovered the last few days, which needed to be validated before being consolidated with the first batches."
"That’s why I explained yesterday that the numbers for each town or city should come from the mayor’s office and signed by their respective health officers," said Del Rosario.
"So, now we’ve validated these, and that’s why I promised you this morning that definitely we will be seeing changes today in the casualty count, since slowly we are getting official validation and confirmation from the municipal mayor and the municipal health officer," he added.
- Cops bust drug ring in GenSan 8 hours from now
- Body of sixth UP mountaineer swept away by Tarlac flashflood found 7 hours from now
- 1,100 hectares of rice fields damaged by San Roque Dam water overflow 7 hours from now
- Shebab fighters storm African Union base in Somalia 6 hours from now
- Politicians continue to use pork barrel for 'ghost projects' - Ombudsman 6 hours from now
- DAP, PDAF plunder case vs budget chief Abad to be 'resolved this month' - Ombudsman 6 hours from now
- Robber returns P1.3 million of P1.6 million he took from Maguindanao electric coop 5 hours from now
- Oral arguments on Torre de Manila to continue 4 hours from now
- Ombudsman to ask Supreme Court to reconsider Enrile bail 4 hours from now
- Head of tribal school, lumad leader slain by militia in Surigao del Sur 4 hours from now
- Home, car loans push up banks consumer lending by 3.36% - BSP 3 hours from now
- QC urged to declare Canadian waste 'basura non grata' 3 hours from now
- NO DEAL, NO RESIGNATION | 'Will I be here if I resigned already?' - De Lima 3 hours from now
- 20,000 march in Austria after migrant truck tragedy 3 hours from now
- QCPD releases sketch of gunman in strafing of Taberna's coffee shop 3 hours from now