Typhoon Yolanda death toll jumps to 5,209 - NDRRMC
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA, Philippines - The death toll from “Yolanda” jumped to 5,209 as of Friday evening, the chief of the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said, as more bodies were accounted for two weeks since the super typhoon struck, hitting five regions.
For the hardest-hit Region 8 or Eastern Visayas alone, the number of fatalities now stands at 4,919, said Executive Director Eduardo del Rosario. He said the number of those injured swelled to 23,404 while the number of missing is 1,611. Del Rosario said the numbers could still increase.
The total fatality count is now twice the maximum estimate of 2,500 earlier announced by President Benigno Aquino III.
According to Del Rosario, the bodies recovered in the latest retrievals were more than 1,700.
He walked reporters through the central disaster agency’s validation process, by way of explaining the jump in the fatality count: “These bodies were the ones recovered the last few days, which needed to be validated before being consolidated with the first batches."
"That’s why I explained yesterday that the numbers for each town or city should come from the mayor’s office and signed by their respective health officers," said Del Rosario.
"So, now we’ve validated these, and that’s why I promised you this morning that definitely we will be seeing changes today in the casualty count, since slowly we are getting official validation and confirmation from the municipal mayor and the municipal health officer," he added.
- MNTC spending P2.6B to expand NLEX ahead of expected traffic buildup by 2018 12 minutes ago
- Refusing to sit on lead, Trump gets bitter in Republican debate 1 hour ago
- Smart rolls out PHL's widest data roaming network covering over 120 countries 3 hours ago
- Rights group questions 'mass grave' evidence vs jailed ranking rebel couple 4 hours ago
- 71 YEARS AGO | Calamba City remembers 'Doce de Pebrero' World War II massacre 5 hours ago
- Group to next president: Industrialize agriculture in the face of climate change, El Nino 5 hours ago
- Cebu City Mayor Rama insists on paying off P2.4-billion loan balance for South Road Properties 6 hours ago
- Air pollution kills millions annually, mostly in China, India: research 6 hours ago
- Over 5,000 pregnant Colombian women infected with Zika virus 7 hours ago
- Obama vows to nominate new Supreme Court justice 8 hours ago
- DOTC: Exempt Cebu City's P10.6-billion BRT system from election infra ban 8 hours ago
- Puerto Princesa to develop Hundred Caves as eco-tourism site 9 hours ago
- Bolivian ex-officers ordered to pay massacre victims 10 hours ago
- 10 Cebu mayors seek close-in police security 11 hours ago
- Scientists find possible new layer at Earth's core 11 hours ago