Typhoon Yolanda death toll jumps to 5,209 - NDRRMC
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA, Philippines - The death toll from “Yolanda” jumped to 5,209 as of Friday evening, the chief of the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said, as more bodies were accounted for two weeks since the super typhoon struck, hitting five regions.
For the hardest-hit Region 8 or Eastern Visayas alone, the number of fatalities now stands at 4,919, said Executive Director Eduardo del Rosario. He said the number of those injured swelled to 23,404 while the number of missing is 1,611. Del Rosario said the numbers could still increase.
The total fatality count is now twice the maximum estimate of 2,500 earlier announced by President Benigno Aquino III.
According to Del Rosario, the bodies recovered in the latest retrievals were more than 1,700.
He walked reporters through the central disaster agency’s validation process, by way of explaining the jump in the fatality count: “These bodies were the ones recovered the last few days, which needed to be validated before being consolidated with the first batches."
"That’s why I explained yesterday that the numbers for each town or city should come from the mayor’s office and signed by their respective health officers," said Del Rosario.
"So, now we’ve validated these, and that’s why I promised you this morning that definitely we will be seeing changes today in the casualty count, since slowly we are getting official validation and confirmation from the municipal mayor and the municipal health officer," he added.
- Israeli ringleader gets life for burning alive Palestinian teen 6 hours ago
- WITH VIDEO | Duterte is a product of Tuwid na Daan’s inefficiency, incompetence: Poe 7 hours ago
- Boiling water may be cause of Martian streaks: study 8 hours ago
- Abu Sayyaf militants threaten hostages in new video warning 8 hours ago
- Ex-Mexican foreign minister Espinosa nominated as UN climate chief 9 hours ago
- PNoy signs bill on promoting the creation of 'green jobs' 9 hours ago
- Seven deaths reported in Cebu due to heat stroke as El Nino lingers 10 hours ago
- VIDEO | Duterte is poorest presidential bet but had biggest surge in wealth 10 hours ago
- North Korea capital gears up for congress; South fears nuclear test 10 hours ago
- WITH VIDEO | It's hard to get transaction history of Duterte account without waiver - IBP president 10 hours ago
- Islamic State kills US Navy SEAL in northern Iraq attack 11 hours ago
- Smartmatic notes erratic cellular signals in 60% of Cordilleras 11 hours ago
- PPCRV expresses misgivings over Comelec late-hour changes 11 hours ago
- Poe denies vote buying in Baguio City sortie 11 hours ago
- ASEAN, partner countries officially launch joint maritime exercise in Brunei 12 hours ago