Typhoon Yolanda death toll jumps to 5,209 - NDRRMC
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA, Philippines - The death toll from “Yolanda” jumped to 5,209 as of Friday evening, the chief of the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said, as more bodies were accounted for two weeks since the super typhoon struck, hitting five regions.
For the hardest-hit Region 8 or Eastern Visayas alone, the number of fatalities now stands at 4,919, said Executive Director Eduardo del Rosario. He said the number of those injured swelled to 23,404 while the number of missing is 1,611. Del Rosario said the numbers could still increase.
The total fatality count is now twice the maximum estimate of 2,500 earlier announced by President Benigno Aquino III.
According to Del Rosario, the bodies recovered in the latest retrievals were more than 1,700.
He walked reporters through the central disaster agency’s validation process, by way of explaining the jump in the fatality count: “These bodies were the ones recovered the last few days, which needed to be validated before being consolidated with the first batches."
"That’s why I explained yesterday that the numbers for each town or city should come from the mayor’s office and signed by their respective health officers," said Del Rosario.
"So, now we’ve validated these, and that’s why I promised you this morning that definitely we will be seeing changes today in the casualty count, since slowly we are getting official validation and confirmation from the municipal mayor and the municipal health officer," he added.
- Belmonte accedes; no longer seeks Speakership 2 hours ago
- PRE-SONA BUZZ | Lawmakers smell possible move by House majority to railroad minority leadership 3 hours ago
- THAT POKEMON THING | US reporter called out at presser for playing 5 hours ago
- 2 suspected drug pushers gunned down in Tarlac shootout 7 hours ago
- SCENE | Panic and terror in Munich shooting rampage 9 hours ago
- White supremacist David Duke launches US Senate bid 10 hours ago
- MARIE YUVIENCO | Blindspot 11 hours ago
- Duterte inaugurates biomass power plant in Maguindanao 11 hours ago
- Clark braces for alternative gateway role amid worsening air traffic congestion at NAIA 12 hours ago
- GMA victory in SC draws mixed reactions from businessmen 13 hours ago
- IS uses civilians as human shields in Syrian city: coalition 14 hours ago
- Court of Appeals junks Globe's plea to stop PCC review of SMC deal 14 hours ago
- Several dead in Munich shopping center shooting: police 19 hours ago
- WATCH | Duterte junks claims gov't fight vs drugs only getting 'small fish' 20 hours ago
- Peso ends week sideways vs US dollar amid drop in US initial jobless claims 22 hours ago