Typhoon Yolanda death toll jumps to 5,209 - NDRRMC
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA, Philippines - The death toll from “Yolanda” jumped to 5,209 as of Friday evening, the chief of the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said, as more bodies were accounted for two weeks since the super typhoon struck, hitting five regions.
For the hardest-hit Region 8 or Eastern Visayas alone, the number of fatalities now stands at 4,919, said Executive Director Eduardo del Rosario. He said the number of those injured swelled to 23,404 while the number of missing is 1,611. Del Rosario said the numbers could still increase.
The total fatality count is now twice the maximum estimate of 2,500 earlier announced by President Benigno Aquino III.
According to Del Rosario, the bodies recovered in the latest retrievals were more than 1,700.
He walked reporters through the central disaster agency’s validation process, by way of explaining the jump in the fatality count: “These bodies were the ones recovered the last few days, which needed to be validated before being consolidated with the first batches."
"That’s why I explained yesterday that the numbers for each town or city should come from the mayor’s office and signed by their respective health officers," said Del Rosario.
"So, now we’ve validated these, and that’s why I promised you this morning that definitely we will be seeing changes today in the casualty count, since slowly we are getting official validation and confirmation from the municipal mayor and the municipal health officer," he added.
- Go to UST | Tens of thousands of youth expected for meeting with Pope Francis 21 minutes ago
- Pemberton asks DOJ to reinvestigate murder raps; prosecutors nix his motion to halt proceedings 40 minutes ago
- US-Cuba thaw could spell end for island's iconic cars 41 minutes ago
- AMPARO VS. LEILA | De Lima writing her own Constitution, says con moved to NBI 57 minutes ago
- UN notes need for 'hashtag standardization' during natural disasters 1 hour ago
- PLDT expects landline broadband customer count to a million milestone 1 hour ago
- Indra Sistemas confident advanced image, security features will clinch 2016 voting machine deal 1 hour ago
- Taiwan says Uber 'violating law' by operating without licence 1 hour ago
- Philippine share prices post modest gains 1 hour ago
- Probe looms on LGU execs' misuse of P2.7-B pork funds in 2013 1 hour ago
- IT'S TAB | Baldwin to handle Gilas Pilipinas squad, says SBP exec 2 hours ago
- TRAFFIC ADVISORY | NAIA discloses road closures for Pope arrival, departure 2 hours ago
- END OF AN ERA | Benitezes resign, hand over PWU to STI group that bailed out school 3 hours ago
- Customs misses 11-month collection goal 3 hours ago
- COCKTALES | Ona gets last hurrah in battle with herbal industry over labeling 4 hours ago