Napocor president assures Iloilo oil spill cleanup to abide by DOH recommendations
The online news portal of TV5
ILOILO CITY -- National Power Corporation (Napocor) president Ma. Gladys Cruz Sta. Rita has assured Estancia residents that the Kuan Yu Global Technologies Inc. undertaking the full-scale cleanup of the oil spill there will abide by the recommendations of the Department of Health (DOH) to provide personal protective equipment to workers.
Sta. Rita and Iloilo Governor Arthur Defensor Sr. are today scheduled to visit the oil spill site in Barangay Botongon, Estancia.
In an interview, the Napocor chief said that her office brought N95 masks for the 240 Napocor employees and workers.
“We don’t want to complicate things. We will follow the recommendations of the DOH," she.
Power Barge 103, operated by Napocor but owned by Power Sector Assets and Liability Management (PSALM) that hired the Kuan Yu Global Technologies Inc., was dislodged and ran aground at the rocky shoreline of Barangay Botongon, causing the oil spill at the height of typhoon Yolanda.
The incident caused some 200,000 liters of bunker oil to leak out of the punctured hull of the grounded barge with 1.2 million liters of bunker oil still in the fuel tanks and have to be unloaded.
DOH-Center for Health Development 6 regional epidemiologist Dr. Glen Alonsabe has expressed much concern on the hazardous effect of the oil spill on the workers who themselves are Estancia residents and did not have personal protective equipment at the start of their cleanup operations last Friday.
He also said that there should be no cleanup work from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. because of the high toxic level during this period of the day.
- Baby found abandoned in drain for 5 days; mom charged with attempted murder 23 minutes ago
- 5 Abu Sayyaf bandits killed in clash with gov't forces in Basilan 1 hour ago
- 2 more SM malls to have solar panels by 2015 2 hours ago
- JESSICA ZAFRA | Amy Tan: Without trauma, you'll never be a writer 2 hours ago
- Senate allots P37B for mandatory PhilHealth sectoral coverage 3 hours ago
- LESSONS FROM MIRIAM | The two things that Pinoys need to know about the 2015 nat'l budget 3 hours ago
- FOI BILL'S TWG VERSION DEFENDED | Coalition disputes Makabayan bloc arguments 3 hours ago
- Miriam: Abad cleverly crafted DILG budget to back Mar's grassroots campaign 3 hours ago
- Poll watchdog asks Comelec to blacklist Smartmatic, 'mere reseller' of machines, technology 4 hours ago
- 'DI LANG 'SEXY' | Jinggoy also codenamed 'Cong Biazon,' in 'pork deals' with Napoles, says Luy 4 hours ago
- Coast Guard men in Taiwanese fisher's death shun TECO, MECO interpreters 4 hours ago
- DOH still awaiting FDA certification of P1B FP commodities as non-abortifacient 5 hours ago
- Customs collections in October hit a record but fall short of goal 5 hours ago
- FOI bill hurdles House panel, but party-list solons slam 'too many exceptions' 5 hours ago
- Robinsons Land sets expansion of Go Hotels chain 5 hours ago