Napocor president assures Iloilo oil spill cleanup to abide by DOH recommendations
The online news portal of TV5
ILOILO CITY -- National Power Corporation (Napocor) president Ma. Gladys Cruz Sta. Rita has assured Estancia residents that the Kuan Yu Global Technologies Inc. undertaking the full-scale cleanup of the oil spill there will abide by the recommendations of the Department of Health (DOH) to provide personal protective equipment to workers.
Sta. Rita and Iloilo Governor Arthur Defensor Sr. are today scheduled to visit the oil spill site in Barangay Botongon, Estancia.
In an interview, the Napocor chief said that her office brought N95 masks for the 240 Napocor employees and workers.
“We don’t want to complicate things. We will follow the recommendations of the DOH," she.
Power Barge 103, operated by Napocor but owned by Power Sector Assets and Liability Management (PSALM) that hired the Kuan Yu Global Technologies Inc., was dislodged and ran aground at the rocky shoreline of Barangay Botongon, causing the oil spill at the height of typhoon Yolanda.
The incident caused some 200,000 liters of bunker oil to leak out of the punctured hull of the grounded barge with 1.2 million liters of bunker oil still in the fuel tanks and have to be unloaded.
DOH-Center for Health Development 6 regional epidemiologist Dr. Glen Alonsabe has expressed much concern on the hazardous effect of the oil spill on the workers who themselves are Estancia residents and did not have personal protective equipment at the start of their cleanup operations last Friday.
He also said that there should be no cleanup work from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. because of the high toxic level during this period of the day.
- Asia needs more cash, campaigns, law changes to end HIV epidemic: UN 2 hours ago
- Faraway planet is lord of the rings 2 hours ago
- ASEAN vows early conclusion of Code of Conduct in South China Sea 3 hours ago
- As blizzard skips New York, meteorologists ponder forecasts' power 3 hours ago
- Jordan proposes prisoner swap, fate of Japanese IS hostage unclear 4 hours ago
- New England digs out from massive blizzard 4 hours ago
- Two Israeli soldiers, UN peacekeeper killed in Israel-Hezbollah violence 5 hours ago
- WALA NA KASING PASYENTE | World's largest Ebola treatment center dismantled 6 hours ago
- TRIBUTE TO FALLEN PNP-SAF MEMBERS | PH flags in all justice halls to fly at half-mast for 5 days 6 hours ago
- Security Bank's overseas debt sale draws huge investor interest 7 hours ago
- PNoy says SAF just executed warrant vs Marwan, but group says prexy 'washed' his hands of the mess 7 hours ago
- At last, Buffalo Wild Wings opens Jan. 29 at Capitol Commons with ‘Free Wings for a Year’ promo 8 hours ago
- 'HUGAS-KAMAY' | Netizens react to PNoy address on Mamasapano 'misencounter' 8 hours ago
- ADDRESS TO THE NATION | Full transcript of Aquino statement on Mamasapano mission 9 hours ago
- Island Information signs up Abacus Capital as merger adviser 9 hours ago