Napocor president assures Iloilo oil spill cleanup to abide by DOH recommendations
The online news portal of TV5
ILOILO CITY -- National Power Corporation (Napocor) president Ma. Gladys Cruz Sta. Rita has assured Estancia residents that the Kuan Yu Global Technologies Inc. undertaking the full-scale cleanup of the oil spill there will abide by the recommendations of the Department of Health (DOH) to provide personal protective equipment to workers.
Sta. Rita and Iloilo Governor Arthur Defensor Sr. are today scheduled to visit the oil spill site in Barangay Botongon, Estancia.
In an interview, the Napocor chief said that her office brought N95 masks for the 240 Napocor employees and workers.
âWe donât want to complicate things. We will follow the recommendations of the DOH," she.
Power Barge 103, operated by Napocor but owned by Power Sector Assets and Liability Management (PSALM) that hired the Kuan Yu Global Technologies Inc., was dislodged and ran aground at the rocky shoreline of Barangay Botongon, causing the oil spill at the height of typhoon Yolanda.
The incident caused some 200,000 liters of bunker oil to leak out of the punctured hull of the grounded barge with 1.2 million liters of bunker oil still in the fuel tanks and have to be unloaded.
DOH-Center for Health Development 6 regional epidemiologist Dr. Glen Alonsabe has expressed much concern on the hazardous effect of the oil spill on the workers who themselves are Estancia residents and did not have personal protective equipment at the start of their cleanup operations last Friday.
He also said that there should be no cleanup work from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. because of the high toxic level during this period of the day.Â
- MAUNLAD PERO GUTOM | Amid soaring economy, UN exec urges PH to address widespread hunger 8 hours from now
- Public Works department releases terms for Cavite-Laguna Expressway rebid 6 hours from now
- Profit taking at Philippine stock market enters second day 6 hours from now
- SANA FAIR DAW | China airs concern on PH decision not to renew visas of Chinese experts at NGCP 6 hours from now
- DPWH to continue weekend QC road reblocking 6 hours from now
- Business optimism eases in the first quarter of 2015 5 hours from now
- 4 groups submit prequalification requirements for Laguna Lakeshore Expressway PPP 5 hours from now
- PNP spokesman: Enrile's condition improving 4 hours from now
- Compound from Chinese medicinal herb shows promise for Ebola 4 hours from now
- Japan police arrest teen for 'IS-inspired' killing 3 hours from now
- Hollande visits typhoon-hit Guiuan to underscore climate change action 3 hours from now
- Bam warns PH bamboo industry losing status in world market 2 hours from now
- NEEDLESS PAIN | Doctors say stringent laws on opioid use violate Pinoy patients' rights 2 hours from now
- COCKTALES | GMA appointee, aided by PNoy fund raiser, wins pension battle vs GSIS board 56 minutes from now
- Xurpas buys into company offering employee flex benefits platform 48 minutes from now