Napocor president assures Iloilo oil spill cleanup to abide by DOH recommendations
The online news portal of TV5
ILOILO CITY -- National Power Corporation (Napocor) president Ma. Gladys Cruz Sta. Rita has assured Estancia residents that the Kuan Yu Global Technologies Inc. undertaking the full-scale cleanup of the oil spill there will abide by the recommendations of the Department of Health (DOH) to provide personal protective equipment to workers.
Sta. Rita and Iloilo Governor Arthur Defensor Sr. are today scheduled to visit the oil spill site in Barangay Botongon, Estancia.
In an interview, the Napocor chief said that her office brought N95 masks for the 240 Napocor employees and workers.
“We don’t want to complicate things. We will follow the recommendations of the DOH," she.
Power Barge 103, operated by Napocor but owned by Power Sector Assets and Liability Management (PSALM) that hired the Kuan Yu Global Technologies Inc., was dislodged and ran aground at the rocky shoreline of Barangay Botongon, causing the oil spill at the height of typhoon Yolanda.
The incident caused some 200,000 liters of bunker oil to leak out of the punctured hull of the grounded barge with 1.2 million liters of bunker oil still in the fuel tanks and have to be unloaded.
DOH-Center for Health Development 6 regional epidemiologist Dr. Glen Alonsabe has expressed much concern on the hazardous effect of the oil spill on the workers who themselves are Estancia residents and did not have personal protective equipment at the start of their cleanup operations last Friday.
He also said that there should be no cleanup work from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. because of the high toxic level during this period of the day.
- VIDEO | NAPULOT SA JARO, NANGAKO SA QUIAPO | Poe vows to improve the lives of Filipinos 57 minutes ago
- 'Dead' Chinese baby awakes just before cremation 2 hours ago
- VIDEO | Binay kicks off official campaign 'among the poor' in Mandaluyong rally 2 hours ago
- Hawaii's Big Island declares emergency over dengue fever infections 3 hours ago
- Govt says DBP-LBP merger to result in more competitive, more service-oriented bank 4 hours ago
- California grants driver's licenses to 605,000 undocumented immigrants 4 hours ago
- 9 dead, more than 100 hurt as trains collide head-on in Bavaria: police 5 hours ago
- Santiago: Bongbong Marcos is next, 'if something should happen to me' 5 hours ago
- Palace told to tap P2.5B from contigency fund for OFWs displaced by impact of oil price dip 5 hours ago
- DOH urges those coming from countries with Zika cases to observe safe sex 5 hours ago
- Mar Roxas vows '3 freedoms' in Capiz rally 5 hours ago
- Poe's supposed relative from Iloilo attends rally in Quiapo 6 hours ago
- GUSTO MONG MA-SOLO SI BONGBONG? | Bongbong Marcos offers lunch date reward to lucky fan 7 hours ago
- Duterte: I cannot make it without Alan 7 hours ago
- TULONG NI TATAY | Mark Lapid gets dad to play supporting role in ad 7 hours ago