Napocor president assures Iloilo oil spill cleanup to abide by DOH recommendations
The online news portal of TV5
ILOILO CITY -- National Power Corporation (Napocor) president Ma. Gladys Cruz Sta. Rita has assured Estancia residents that the Kuan Yu Global Technologies Inc. undertaking the full-scale cleanup of the oil spill there will abide by the recommendations of the Department of Health (DOH) to provide personal protective equipment to workers.
Sta. Rita and Iloilo Governor Arthur Defensor Sr. are today scheduled to visit the oil spill site in Barangay Botongon, Estancia.
In an interview, the Napocor chief said that her office brought N95 masks for the 240 Napocor employees and workers.
“We don’t want to complicate things. We will follow the recommendations of the DOH," she.
Power Barge 103, operated by Napocor but owned by Power Sector Assets and Liability Management (PSALM) that hired the Kuan Yu Global Technologies Inc., was dislodged and ran aground at the rocky shoreline of Barangay Botongon, causing the oil spill at the height of typhoon Yolanda.
The incident caused some 200,000 liters of bunker oil to leak out of the punctured hull of the grounded barge with 1.2 million liters of bunker oil still in the fuel tanks and have to be unloaded.
DOH-Center for Health Development 6 regional epidemiologist Dr. Glen Alonsabe has expressed much concern on the hazardous effect of the oil spill on the workers who themselves are Estancia residents and did not have personal protective equipment at the start of their cleanup operations last Friday.
He also said that there should be no cleanup work from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. because of the high toxic level during this period of the day.
- Global group of jurists asks Duterte to rethink push for death penalty revival 19 minutes ago
- China to 'pressure' US on maritime issues, paper says 1 hour ago
- SC junks Napoles challenge to Ombudsman's move to file cases with Sandiganbayan 2 hours ago
- MOOT, ACADEMIC | Supreme Court dismisses Ejercito, Tolentino pleas 2 hours ago
- Tobacco control advocates pin hope on Duterte to push tough curbs, higher excise taxes 3 hours ago
- Belmonte frowns on PDP-Laban raiding LP ranks 3 hours ago
- US envoy Goldberg leads inauguration of climate-resilient classrooms in Leyte 3 hours ago
- DFA clamps down on no-show passport applicants 4 hours ago
- More investments in PHL telco sector seen after distribution of 700MHz spectrum 4 hours ago
- The 'Smoking Dead': 'Zombies' remind public of 240 tobacco-related Filipino deaths daily 5 hours ago
- Nueva Ecija Comelec employee shot dead; bystander in critical condition 5 hours ago
- Leni in Duterte cabinet could be an asset to his administration - Belmonte 5 hours ago
- Balikbayan box now tax- and duty-free with signing of CMTA – Angara 5 hours ago
- Mountaineer rescued in Negros Oriental - police 7 hours ago
- Anti-narcotics agents seize P1B worth of 'liquid shabu' in Pampanga 7 hours ago