Napocor president assures Iloilo oil spill cleanup to abide by DOH recommendations
The online news portal of TV5
ILOILO CITY -- National Power Corporation (Napocor) president Ma. Gladys Cruz Sta. Rita has assured Estancia residents that the Kuan Yu Global Technologies Inc. undertaking the full-scale cleanup of the oil spill there will abide by the recommendations of the Department of Health (DOH) to provide personal protective equipment to workers.
Sta. Rita and Iloilo Governor Arthur Defensor Sr. are today scheduled to visit the oil spill site in Barangay Botongon, Estancia.
In an interview, the Napocor chief said that her office brought N95 masks for the 240 Napocor employees and workers.
“We don’t want to complicate things. We will follow the recommendations of the DOH," she.
Power Barge 103, operated by Napocor but owned by Power Sector Assets and Liability Management (PSALM) that hired the Kuan Yu Global Technologies Inc., was dislodged and ran aground at the rocky shoreline of Barangay Botongon, causing the oil spill at the height of typhoon Yolanda.
The incident caused some 200,000 liters of bunker oil to leak out of the punctured hull of the grounded barge with 1.2 million liters of bunker oil still in the fuel tanks and have to be unloaded.
DOH-Center for Health Development 6 regional epidemiologist Dr. Glen Alonsabe has expressed much concern on the hazardous effect of the oil spill on the workers who themselves are Estancia residents and did not have personal protective equipment at the start of their cleanup operations last Friday.
He also said that there should be no cleanup work from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. because of the high toxic level during this period of the day.
- 2015 hurricane season shatters records 9 minutes ago
- OPINION | Why Duterte's presidential bid is good for democracy 37 minutes ago
- US House blocks new rules limiting carbon emission 43 minutes ago
- COP 21 | PH, other vulnerable countries receive 'rare' award from global climate network 51 minutes ago
- VIDEO | Personal angle seen in killing of mom of ‘Pastillas Girl’ 6 hours ago
- VIDEO | PNoy pitches equity in climate funding at COP 21 7 hours ago
- MVP Group top execs in biggest management shuffle since mid-2000 7 hours ago
- Bongbong's 'brotherly' advice to Grace: 'Keep going, don't lose courage' 7 hours ago
- COP21 | Obama warns of security and economic risks as tough climate talks begin 8 hours ago
- Philippine stocks rally above 7,000 on December’s first trading day 9 hours ago
- With 18,000 HIV cases, Indonesia's Papua province battles AIDS epidemic 9 hours ago
- VIDEO | On World AIDS Day, condom maker calls for safe-sex emoticon 10 hours ago
- #TINDOGTAYO2016 | Mar highlights need to prepare for disasters 11 hours ago
- COP21 | Warm countries launch Sun-energy alliance 11 hours ago
- VIDEO, THE LAUDE VERDICT | It's homicide, then the impasse ... 12 hours ago