Napocor president assures Iloilo oil spill cleanup to abide by DOH recommendations
The online news portal of TV5
ILOILO CITY -- National Power Corporation (Napocor) president Ma. Gladys Cruz Sta. Rita has assured Estancia residents that the Kuan Yu Global Technologies Inc. undertaking the full-scale cleanup of the oil spill there will abide by the recommendations of the Department of Health (DOH) to provide personal protective equipment to workers.
Sta. Rita and Iloilo Governor Arthur Defensor Sr. are today scheduled to visit the oil spill site in Barangay Botongon, Estancia.
In an interview, the Napocor chief said that her office brought N95 masks for the 240 Napocor employees and workers.
“We don’t want to complicate things. We will follow the recommendations of the DOH," she.
Power Barge 103, operated by Napocor but owned by Power Sector Assets and Liability Management (PSALM) that hired the Kuan Yu Global Technologies Inc., was dislodged and ran aground at the rocky shoreline of Barangay Botongon, causing the oil spill at the height of typhoon Yolanda.
The incident caused some 200,000 liters of bunker oil to leak out of the punctured hull of the grounded barge with 1.2 million liters of bunker oil still in the fuel tanks and have to be unloaded.
DOH-Center for Health Development 6 regional epidemiologist Dr. Glen Alonsabe has expressed much concern on the hazardous effect of the oil spill on the workers who themselves are Estancia residents and did not have personal protective equipment at the start of their cleanup operations last Friday.
He also said that there should be no cleanup work from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. because of the high toxic level during this period of the day.
- VIDEO | Earthworms provide cancer-fighting bacteria 17 minutes from now
- Universal Robina to supply Flying V with ethanol 17 minutes ago
- France probes possible lone wolf 'radical Islamic' attack 33 minutes ago
- Regulator warns mobile users to turn data service off when travelling abroad 33 minutes ago
- PAL, Cebu Pacific ask regulator to deny Emirates' bid to mount 'colorum' flights 53 minutes ago
- Russia makes Facebook block page of Putin's top critic 1 hour ago
- CA upholds DOH rule on 'no approved therapeutic claim' tag on supplements 1 hour ago
- Robinsons Retail to expand existing formats next year 1 hour ago
- Two SME stocks outperform the Philippine market this year 1 hour ago
- Philippines plans air talks with 4 countries in first half of 2015 2 hours ago
- VIDEO | Raps filed vs employer of OFW killed by lion in Kuwait - Binay 2 hours ago
- Philippine stock market seen taking cue from overseas news on shortened trading week 2 hours ago
- 5.5 magnitude quake hits Eastern Samar 2 hours ago
- Communist rebels in Mindanao to free 9 'POWs' 2 hours ago
- CIA unlikely to punish staff over Senate computer search: NYT 3 hours ago