Napocor president assures Iloilo oil spill cleanup to abide by DOH recommendations
The online news portal of TV5
ILOILO CITY -- National Power Corporation (Napocor) president Ma. Gladys Cruz Sta. Rita has assured Estancia residents that the Kuan Yu Global Technologies Inc. undertaking the full-scale cleanup of the oil spill there will abide by the recommendations of the Department of Health (DOH) to provide personal protective equipment to workers.
Sta. Rita and Iloilo Governor Arthur Defensor Sr. are today scheduled to visit the oil spill site in Barangay Botongon, Estancia.
In an interview, the Napocor chief said that her office brought N95 masks for the 240 Napocor employees and workers.
“We don’t want to complicate things. We will follow the recommendations of the DOH," she.
Power Barge 103, operated by Napocor but owned by Power Sector Assets and Liability Management (PSALM) that hired the Kuan Yu Global Technologies Inc., was dislodged and ran aground at the rocky shoreline of Barangay Botongon, causing the oil spill at the height of typhoon Yolanda.
The incident caused some 200,000 liters of bunker oil to leak out of the punctured hull of the grounded barge with 1.2 million liters of bunker oil still in the fuel tanks and have to be unloaded.
DOH-Center for Health Development 6 regional epidemiologist Dr. Glen Alonsabe has expressed much concern on the hazardous effect of the oil spill on the workers who themselves are Estancia residents and did not have personal protective equipment at the start of their cleanup operations last Friday.
He also said that there should be no cleanup work from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. because of the high toxic level during this period of the day.
- Junta-ruled Thailand says it will buy three Chinese-made submarines 2 hours ago
- PET AGENDA | Villar, Hontiveros to start off 17th Congress with agri, health bills 2 hours ago
- Istanbul airport bombers 'planned hostage-taking' 3 hours ago
- WATCH | Duterte spells out pro-poor program during Tondo visit 4 hours ago
- Military, police capture Abu Sayyaf bomb expert-leader, follower in Basilan province 4 hours ago
- Belmonte gets working on revival of Cha-cha bill, files others 5 hours ago
- Thousands protest in Hong Kong as China tensions simmer over booksellers 5 hours ago
- 1,115 suspected drug users in CDO pledge to turn a new leaf 5 hours ago
- Baguilat: LP would do well to serve as fiscalizer 6 hours ago
- China's president talks tough ahead of tribunal ruling 6 hours ago
- TOKTOK-HANGYO | Tarlac cops conduct 'Oplan Tokhang' 8 hours ago
- WATCH: BAGONG BUHAY SA BANTAYAN | Disaster-resilient housing unveiled to island folk 8 hours ago
- WATCH | Suit over Mamasapano plain harassment, says Citizen PNoy 8 hours ago
- OOOPS! | Taiwan mistakenly fires 'carrier killer' missile towards China 9 hours ago
- Korean train manufacturer invited to set up PH plant 9 hours ago