Napocor president assures Iloilo oil spill cleanup to abide by DOH recommendations
The online news portal of TV5
ILOILO CITY -- National Power Corporation (Napocor) president Ma. Gladys Cruz Sta. Rita has assured Estancia residents that the Kuan Yu Global Technologies Inc. undertaking the full-scale cleanup of the oil spill there will abide by the recommendations of the Department of Health (DOH) to provide personal protective equipment to workers.
Sta. Rita and Iloilo Governor Arthur Defensor Sr. are today scheduled to visit the oil spill site in Barangay Botongon, Estancia.
In an interview, the Napocor chief said that her office brought N95 masks for the 240 Napocor employees and workers.
âWe donât want to complicate things. We will follow the recommendations of the DOH," she.
Power Barge 103, operated by Napocor but owned by Power Sector Assets and Liability Management (PSALM) that hired the Kuan Yu Global Technologies Inc., was dislodged and ran aground at the rocky shoreline of Barangay Botongon, causing the oil spill at the height of typhoon Yolanda.
The incident caused some 200,000 liters of bunker oil to leak out of the punctured hull of the grounded barge with 1.2 million liters of bunker oil still in the fuel tanks and have to be unloaded.
DOH-Center for Health Development 6 regional epidemiologist Dr. Glen Alonsabe has expressed much concern on the hazardous effect of the oil spill on the workers who themselves are Estancia residents and did not have personal protective equipment at the start of their cleanup operations last Friday.
He also said that there should be no cleanup work from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. because of the high toxic level during this period of the day.Â
- After 2-day strike and strike threat, union forges CBA at Korea-owned factory in Cavite ecozone 7 hours from now
- Asian stocks sag, dollar falls vs yen as Nikkei recoils 7 hours from now
- Globe says work on new underwater cable linking PH, US begins 6 hours from now
- World's oldest person dies in Japan a month after celebrating 117th birthday 6 hours from now
- Cop suffers heart attack, dies, after drug suspect he tried to arrest goes wild 6 hours from now
- Ayala Group pushes back timetable for Daang Hari-SLEX PPP project 6 hours from now
- Farmers, not UCPB, should have access to P71 billion coco levy fund - partylist lawmakers 6 hours from now
- Philippine borrows a third less in 2014 amid narrower budget gap 6 hours from now
- NO APRIL FOOL'S JOKE | LTO reminds new vehicle owners of no registration, no travel policy 5 hours from now
- Turkish Airlines launches direct Manila-Istanbul flights 5 hours from now
- 'Disaster emergency' as super typhoon churns through Micronesia 5 hours from now
- Migrant workers plead with Indonesia president Jokowi: Please spare life of Pinay drug mule 5 hours from now
- Tukalinapao footbridge in Mamasapano to be upgraded to concrete bridge within 6 months 4 hours from now
- Baldoz to OFWs in Yemen: Avail of mandatory repatriation 4 hours from now
- Brazil priest with conservative views suspended for nude selfie, faces ex-communication 3 hours from now