Napocor president assures Iloilo oil spill cleanup to abide by DOH recommendations
The online news portal of TV5
ILOILO CITY -- National Power Corporation (Napocor) president Ma. Gladys Cruz Sta. Rita has assured Estancia residents that the Kuan Yu Global Technologies Inc. undertaking the full-scale cleanup of the oil spill there will abide by the recommendations of the Department of Health (DOH) to provide personal protective equipment to workers.
Sta. Rita and Iloilo Governor Arthur Defensor Sr. are today scheduled to visit the oil spill site in Barangay Botongon, Estancia.
In an interview, the Napocor chief said that her office brought N95 masks for the 240 Napocor employees and workers.
“We don’t want to complicate things. We will follow the recommendations of the DOH," she.
Power Barge 103, operated by Napocor but owned by Power Sector Assets and Liability Management (PSALM) that hired the Kuan Yu Global Technologies Inc., was dislodged and ran aground at the rocky shoreline of Barangay Botongon, causing the oil spill at the height of typhoon Yolanda.
The incident caused some 200,000 liters of bunker oil to leak out of the punctured hull of the grounded barge with 1.2 million liters of bunker oil still in the fuel tanks and have to be unloaded.
DOH-Center for Health Development 6 regional epidemiologist Dr. Glen Alonsabe has expressed much concern on the hazardous effect of the oil spill on the workers who themselves are Estancia residents and did not have personal protective equipment at the start of their cleanup operations last Friday.
He also said that there should be no cleanup work from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. because of the high toxic level during this period of the day.
- VIDEO | For some Camarines Sur pols, their support goes to Grace and Leni 7 hours from now
- China 9-dash-line claim threatens rule of law, Carpio says in US lecture 7 hours from now
- China jumps to fourth most-used world payment currency, overtakes yen - SWIFT 7 hours from now
- VIDEO | 4 Pangasinan towns may be placed under state of calamity as dengue cases rise by 60% 2 hours from now
- 17 missing Pangasinan fishermen rescued 2 hours from now
- 'Political season' in Senate stalls BBL plenary debates: Drilon 1 hour from now
- IMF gloomy on world economy as China slows 1 hour from now
- More than 300,000 Indonesians down with respiratory illnesses due to haze 32 minutes from now
- NATO rejects Russia explanation on violations in Turkish air space 5 minutes from now
- Ex-UN General Assembly president, five others charged in US in bribe scheme 21 minutes ago
- Spike in wildfires more likely in a warming world 54 minutes ago
- Garin: PH not yet MERS-CoV free as 5 persons under strict monitoring 1 hour ago
- VIDEO | UNA offers VP slot to Honasan 2 hours ago
- Inflation dips anew to lowest level in September 2 hours ago
- PCG spots body, life jacket off Laoag after Hong Kong yacht sails into storm 3 hours ago