Napocor president assures Iloilo oil spill cleanup to abide by DOH recommendations
The online news portal of TV5
ILOILO CITY -- National Power Corporation (Napocor) president Ma. Gladys Cruz Sta. Rita has assured Estancia residents that the Kuan Yu Global Technologies Inc. undertaking the full-scale cleanup of the oil spill there will abide by the recommendations of the Department of Health (DOH) to provide personal protective equipment to workers.
Sta. Rita and Iloilo Governor Arthur Defensor Sr. are today scheduled to visit the oil spill site in Barangay Botongon, Estancia.
In an interview, the Napocor chief said that her office brought N95 masks for the 240 Napocor employees and workers.
“We don’t want to complicate things. We will follow the recommendations of the DOH," she.
Power Barge 103, operated by Napocor but owned by Power Sector Assets and Liability Management (PSALM) that hired the Kuan Yu Global Technologies Inc., was dislodged and ran aground at the rocky shoreline of Barangay Botongon, causing the oil spill at the height of typhoon Yolanda.
The incident caused some 200,000 liters of bunker oil to leak out of the punctured hull of the grounded barge with 1.2 million liters of bunker oil still in the fuel tanks and have to be unloaded.
DOH-Center for Health Development 6 regional epidemiologist Dr. Glen Alonsabe has expressed much concern on the hazardous effect of the oil spill on the workers who themselves are Estancia residents and did not have personal protective equipment at the start of their cleanup operations last Friday.
He also said that there should be no cleanup work from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. because of the high toxic level during this period of the day.
- How the Philippines can benefit from China's plan to revive the ancient Silk Road route 21 hours from now
- Italy quake death toll hits 268, state funeral planned 2 hours ago
- Top French court suspends burkini ban 3 hours ago
- WATCH | P2-M worth of party drugs seized in Mandaluyong condo 4 hours ago
- WATCH | Displaced OFWs in Saudi Arabia scrape by from day to day 4 hours ago
- WATCH | Bato issues apology after emotional gaffe 5 hours ago
- Singapore shrouded in smog as haze returns to Southeast Asia 7 hours ago
- MinDA sees Mindanao as emerging economic hub in ASEAN 7 hours ago
- Business confidence at all-time high for Q3 7 hours ago
- 11 Abu Sayyaf bandits killed, 17 troopers wounded in Sulu clash 8 hours ago
- Lotte vice chairman found dead amid probe; suicide suspected 8 hours ago
- WATCH | Govt, reds agree on indefinite truce 10 hours ago
- POEA takes action vs illegal recruiters leveraging social media 10 hours ago
- Bayan files FOI request on train projects 12 hours ago
- DSWD signs CNA with employees' association 13 hours ago