Napocor president assures Iloilo oil spill cleanup to abide by DOH recommendations
The online news portal of TV5
ILOILO CITY -- National Power Corporation (Napocor) president Ma. Gladys Cruz Sta. Rita has assured Estancia residents that the Kuan Yu Global Technologies Inc. undertaking the full-scale cleanup of the oil spill there will abide by the recommendations of the Department of Health (DOH) to provide personal protective equipment to workers.
Sta. Rita and Iloilo Governor Arthur Defensor Sr. are today scheduled to visit the oil spill site in Barangay Botongon, Estancia.
In an interview, the Napocor chief said that her office brought N95 masks for the 240 Napocor employees and workers.
âWe donât want to complicate things. We will follow the recommendations of the DOH," she.
Power Barge 103, operated by Napocor but owned by Power Sector Assets and Liability Management (PSALM) that hired the Kuan Yu Global Technologies Inc., was dislodged and ran aground at the rocky shoreline of Barangay Botongon, causing the oil spill at the height of typhoon Yolanda.
The incident caused some 200,000 liters of bunker oil to leak out of the punctured hull of the grounded barge with 1.2 million liters of bunker oil still in the fuel tanks and have to be unloaded.
DOH-Center for Health Development 6 regional epidemiologist Dr. Glen Alonsabe has expressed much concern on the hazardous effect of the oil spill on the workers who themselves are Estancia residents and did not have personal protective equipment at the start of their cleanup operations last Friday.
He also said that there should be no cleanup work from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. because of the high toxic level during this period of the day.Â
- CA orders probe on Trillanes' bribery claims vs magistrates 8 hours from now
- Appeals body orders cut in Manila Water's basic rate 8 hours from now
- UN confirms 800 dead in Sunday's migrant shipwreck off Libya 7 hours from now
- Asian stocks steady after China stimulus, euro hurt by Greek woes 7 hours from now
- Japan, U.S. say made significant trade progress before summit 7 hours from now
- NPA claim seizure of 74 guns in raid on ComVal mayor's mining firm 7 hours from now
- SC seen to vote on Comelec-Smartmatic deal, Enrile petition; resume hearings on Binay suspension 7 hours from now
- Wall Street rallies on China stimulus ahead of tech earnings 7 hours from now
- DOH-ARMM notes aggressive occurrence of tropical diseases due to dirty drinking water 7 hours from now
- Joint circular dismantling medical testing monopoly for Middle East-bound OFWs signed - recruiter 6 hours from now
- Duterte calls on NPAs to stay away during Palarong Pambansa 6 hours from now
- Madrid Fusion Manila 2015: Month-long nationwide food trip continues via Flavors of the Philippines 6 hours from now
- Going to Madrid Fusion Manila? Grab a tasty piece of Spain or PH at the Trade Exhibit 6 hours from now
- Iconic Pinoy brand Mama Sita presents food history and tastings at Madrid Fusion Manila 2015 6 hours from now
- Solar plane starts next round-the-world leg in China 5 hours from now