Napocor president assures Iloilo oil spill cleanup to abide by DOH recommendations
The online news portal of TV5
ILOILO CITY -- National Power Corporation (Napocor) president Ma. Gladys Cruz Sta. Rita has assured Estancia residents that the Kuan Yu Global Technologies Inc. undertaking the full-scale cleanup of the oil spill there will abide by the recommendations of the Department of Health (DOH) to provide personal protective equipment to workers.
Sta. Rita and Iloilo Governor Arthur Defensor Sr. are today scheduled to visit the oil spill site in Barangay Botongon, Estancia.
In an interview, the Napocor chief said that her office brought N95 masks for the 240 Napocor employees and workers.
âWe donât want to complicate things. We will follow the recommendations of the DOH," she.
Power Barge 103, operated by Napocor but owned by Power Sector Assets and Liability Management (PSALM) that hired the Kuan Yu Global Technologies Inc., was dislodged and ran aground at the rocky shoreline of Barangay Botongon, causing the oil spill at the height of typhoon Yolanda.
The incident caused some 200,000 liters of bunker oil to leak out of the punctured hull of the grounded barge with 1.2 million liters of bunker oil still in the fuel tanks and have to be unloaded.
DOH-Center for Health Development 6 regional epidemiologist Dr. Glen Alonsabe has expressed much concern on the hazardous effect of the oil spill on the workers who themselves are Estancia residents and did not have personal protective equipment at the start of their cleanup operations last Friday.
He also said that there should be no cleanup work from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. because of the high toxic level during this period of the day.Â
- FBI launches probe into theft of US taxpayer information 8 hours from now
- Asian stocks up but wary of China, dollar retreats from highs 8 hours from now
- Winning entry from Mohammed cartoon contest won't appear on Washington public transport 8 hours from now
- Delta eyes Asia alliances, sees limited U.S. consolidation 8 hours from now
- As economies stumble, where is Southeast Asia's fiscal firepower? 7 hours from now
- Wall St. inches down on Greece, China worries 7 hours from now
- Islamic State photos purport to show unharmed Palmyra ruins 7 hours from now
- 18 labs may have received live anthrax samples, say US officials 7 hours from now
- Syrian rebels capture last town in Idlib province 6 hours from now
- VIDEO | How does a magnitude 7 quake feel like? Try MMDA's earthquake simulator 6 hours from now
- Thailand to host talks on Southeast Asian migrant crisis 6 hours from now
- MMDA begins ironing out quake contingency plans with barangay heads 5 hours from now
- Conflicts displace 3.5 million people in Africa's Sahel region - UN 5 hours from now
- Millionaire NY mum jailed for killing autistic son 4 hours from now
- Nearly 60% of Americans back drone strikes overseas 4 hours from now