Napocor president assures Iloilo oil spill cleanup to abide by DOH recommendations
The online news portal of TV5
ILOILO CITY -- National Power Corporation (Napocor) president Ma. Gladys Cruz Sta. Rita has assured Estancia residents that the Kuan Yu Global Technologies Inc. undertaking the full-scale cleanup of the oil spill there will abide by the recommendations of the Department of Health (DOH) to provide personal protective equipment to workers.
Sta. Rita and Iloilo Governor Arthur Defensor Sr. are today scheduled to visit the oil spill site in Barangay Botongon, Estancia.
In an interview, the Napocor chief said that her office brought N95 masks for the 240 Napocor employees and workers.
“We don’t want to complicate things. We will follow the recommendations of the DOH," she.
Power Barge 103, operated by Napocor but owned by Power Sector Assets and Liability Management (PSALM) that hired the Kuan Yu Global Technologies Inc., was dislodged and ran aground at the rocky shoreline of Barangay Botongon, causing the oil spill at the height of typhoon Yolanda.
The incident caused some 200,000 liters of bunker oil to leak out of the punctured hull of the grounded barge with 1.2 million liters of bunker oil still in the fuel tanks and have to be unloaded.
DOH-Center for Health Development 6 regional epidemiologist Dr. Glen Alonsabe has expressed much concern on the hazardous effect of the oil spill on the workers who themselves are Estancia residents and did not have personal protective equipment at the start of their cleanup operations last Friday.
He also said that there should be no cleanup work from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. because of the high toxic level during this period of the day.
- SWS SURVEY | Filipinos’ optimism on quality of life, economy hits new record highs 10 hours from now
- Syrian maternity hospital bombed - charity 8 minutes ago
- Ordered freed by Canadian court, couple caught in Canadian terror rearrested 1 hour ago
- Religious leaders urge Reds to reciprocate Duterte's ceasefire 2 hours ago
- NOT ONLY IN THE PHILIPPINES | Brazilian drug lord turns jail cell into luxury suite 3 hours ago
- New cyberattack hits Democrats, Clinton camp reports intrusion 4 hours ago
- 3,400 families displaced as govt presses offensive vs Abu Sayyaf 4 hours ago
- Australia's Muslim migrants on edge as race relations falter with rise of the right 4 hours ago
- MAG-'BRELFIE' PARA HEALTHY | UN backs posting pics to promote breastfeeding 5 hours ago
- Same horrors happening today, Pope says in visit to Auschwitz 5 hours ago
- Cop killed, another wounded in San Diego, California 6 hours ago
- Security guards covered by Employees' Compensation Program 6 hours ago
- Clinton, Trump take gloves off in White House slog 6 hours ago
- Journalists jailed in Turkey as Erdogan tells West to ‘mind your own business’ 7 hours ago
- More areas under Signal No. 1 as ‘Carina’ maintains strength, picks up speed 7 hours ago