Napocor president assures Iloilo oil spill cleanup to abide by DOH recommendations
The online news portal of TV5
ILOILO CITY -- National Power Corporation (Napocor) president Ma. Gladys Cruz Sta. Rita has assured Estancia residents that the Kuan Yu Global Technologies Inc. undertaking the full-scale cleanup of the oil spill there will abide by the recommendations of the Department of Health (DOH) to provide personal protective equipment to workers.
Sta. Rita and Iloilo Governor Arthur Defensor Sr. are today scheduled to visit the oil spill site in Barangay Botongon, Estancia.
In an interview, the Napocor chief said that her office brought N95 masks for the 240 Napocor employees and workers.
âWe donât want to complicate things. We will follow the recommendations of the DOH," she.
Power Barge 103, operated by Napocor but owned by Power Sector Assets and Liability Management (PSALM) that hired the Kuan Yu Global Technologies Inc., was dislodged and ran aground at the rocky shoreline of Barangay Botongon, causing the oil spill at the height of typhoon Yolanda.
The incident caused some 200,000 liters of bunker oil to leak out of the punctured hull of the grounded barge with 1.2 million liters of bunker oil still in the fuel tanks and have to be unloaded.
DOH-Center for Health Development 6 regional epidemiologist Dr. Glen Alonsabe has expressed much concern on the hazardous effect of the oil spill on the workers who themselves are Estancia residents and did not have personal protective equipment at the start of their cleanup operations last Friday.
He also said that there should be no cleanup work from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. because of the high toxic level during this period of the day.Â
- Islamic State attack in Egypt's North Sinai kills 70 5 hours from now
- Liberia announces two more confirmed Ebola cases 4 hours from now
- Crowds count down to legalization of marijuana in Oregon, then light up 4 hours from now
- Kuwait makes DNA tests mandatory after Islamic State bombing 4 hours from now
- USS Lassen drops anchor at Subic Bay for routine port visit 3 hours from now
- Saudi Prince Alwaleed pledges $32-B fortune to charity 2 hours from now
- 18 holes in outer space: Comet's craters revealed 2 hours from now
- US, Cuba restoring diplomatic ties after 54 years 1 hour from now
- VIDEO | PNP to 'immediately' implement order dismissing Purisima, others - Espina 22 minutes from now
- Scores killed in battles as IS attacks Egypt's Sinai 8 minutes ago
- Kalinga dads file raps vs governor for mauling board secretary as Baac cries 'politics' 40 minutes ago
- Filinvest Land wins bid for 19-hectare Cebu property 55 minutes ago
- Ombudsman indicts Ruffy Biazon, 4 more ex-lawmakers for graft, bribery over PDAF scam 1 hour ago
- SEC approves establishment of Globe subsidiary for new ventures 1 hour ago
- Thousands march for Hong Kong democracy 2 hours ago