Rehab czar Ping Lacson flies to Yolanda-hit areas, meets typhoon victims
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA, Philippines -- Newly appointed rehabilitation czar PanfiloÂ Lacson had a glimpse of the places hit hard by super typhoon Yolanda (Haiyan) for theÂ first timeÂ Friday.
Lacson, a former senator, flew to Guiuan town in Samar, and to PaloÂ town, Baybay City and Tacloban City in Leyte to see for himself theÂ damage caused by Yolanda.Â
Lacson met with the residents and local officials to assess their needs.
Last Tuesday, Lacson was formally appointed as presidential assistant for rehabilitation and recovery with a Cabinet rank. Â
His main task is toÂ unify the efforts of government and other agencies in rehabilitation and recovery efforts.
President Benigno Aquino III also named business executive and professor Danilo AntonioÂ as underscretary in the Office of the President. Â Antonio will helpÂ Lacson in his new assignment. Â
- DOJ's De Lima to focus on 'urgent cases' 8 hours from now
- Nepalis dig through quake rubble for survivors as premier says toll could reach 10,000 7 hours from now
- Baltimore awakes to aftermath of riots over black man's death in police custody 7 hours from now
- More Filipino business execs on hiring mode, as optimism runs high 7 hours from now
- Japanese military rescue team saved â¦ by fishermen 7 hours from now
- Indonesia gears up for executions as families wail in grief 6 hours from now
- NPA rebels gun down suspected military informer in Masbate 6 hours from now
- Decision to execute foreigners sets Indonesia apart 6 hours from now
- Mary Jane: Don't do anything to rock Philippine-Indonesia ties 6 hours from now
- 'MAY DEATH THREAT DAW'| Recruiter ni Veloso, sumuko sa Nueva Ecija police 5 hours from now
- Nancy Binay: Mary Jane's case should spark greater assistance to distressed OFWs 3 hours from now
- Veloso recruiter surrenders to Ecija police, says she fears death threats 3 hours from now
- LP executive: UNA win will be punishment for the nation 2 hours from now
- Union presidents and casuals unite, demand junking of DOLE order on contractualization 2 hours from now
- Let's Get Ready to Rumble! 15 Best Places to Watch the Pacquiao-Mayweather Fight of the Century 2 hours from now