Rehab czar Ping Lacson flies to Yolanda-hit areas, meets typhoon victims
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA, Philippines -- Newly appointed rehabilitation czar Panfilo Lacson had a glimpse of the places hit hard by super typhoon Yolanda (Haiyan) for the first time Friday.
Lacson, a former senator, flew to Guiuan town in Samar, and to Palo town, Baybay City and Tacloban City in Leyte to see for himself the damage caused by Yolanda.
Lacson met with the residents and local officials to assess their needs.
Last Tuesday, Lacson was formally appointed as presidential assistant for rehabilitation and recovery with a Cabinet rank.
His main task is to unify the efforts of government and other agencies in rehabilitation and recovery efforts.
President Benigno Aquino III also named business executive and professor Danilo Antonio as underscretary in the Office of the President. Antonio will help Lacson in his new assignment.
- PHOTOS | Protest march for COP 21 in Paris 2 hours ago
- Palace: No need for ISIS alert, so far 5 hours ago
- Air Force goes supersonic again with fighter jets supplied by South Korea 7 hours ago
- Recto: Senate OKs P14.3B monies for PhilHealth, pension for seniors 7 hours ago
- Bongbong says PNoy should apologize if he feels he has done wrong 8 hours ago
- On eve of EU migration summit, allies tell Germany's Merkel to ease off open-door policy 10 hours ago
- Jets scramble as 11 Chinese military planes fly near Japanese islands - media 11 hours ago
- BABALA | The health costs of climate change 12 hours ago
- 2 soldiers killed, 3 wounded in Samar ambush 12 hours ago
- Bill Gates to start multi-billion-dollar clean tech initiative 13 hours ago
- ANALYSIS | The scariest thing about Islamic State? Its kinder, gentler side 13 hours ago
- Brazil to sue BHP, Vale for $5 billion in damages for dam burst 13 hours ago
- #TINDOGTAYO2016 | Miriam bares plans for PH disaster response, cites most vulnerable groups 13 hours ago
- Ringleader of Paris attacks planned more strikes, mocked open borders 14 hours ago
- 'Don't play with fire,' Turkey's Erdogan warns Russia 14 hours ago