Rehab czar Ping Lacson flies to Yolanda-hit areas, meets typhoon victims
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA, Philippines -- Newly appointed rehabilitation czar PanfiloÂ Lacson had a glimpse of the places hit hard by super typhoon Yolanda (Haiyan) for theÂ first timeÂ Friday.
Lacson, a former senator, flew to Guiuan town in Samar, and to PaloÂ town, Baybay City and Tacloban City in Leyte to see for himself theÂ damage caused by Yolanda.Â
Lacson met with the residents and local officials to assess their needs.
Last Tuesday, Lacson was formally appointed as presidential assistant for rehabilitation and recovery with a Cabinet rank. Â
His main task is toÂ unify the efforts of government and other agencies in rehabilitation and recovery efforts.
President Benigno Aquino III also named business executive and professor Danilo AntonioÂ as underscretary in the Office of the President. Â Antonio will helpÂ Lacson in his new assignment. Â
- New flood warning for Texas, where storms have killed 16 6 hours from now
- Binay camp, Poe remind each other not to go to bed with poll cheats 6 hours from now
- Pepsi-Cola Philippines to start manufacturing Cheetos snack foods this year 6 hours from now
- Pentagon chief urges end to island-building in South China Sea 6 hours from now
- Hospitals overwhelmed as India heatwave deaths near 1,500 5 hours from now
- Multiple Intelligence International School sued for tax evasion 5 hours from now
- VIDEO | Days before class opening and K to 12 rollout, public schools grapple with usual woes 5 hours from now
- Philippine carriers corner bigger share of international passenger traffic 4 hours from now
- Save The Children pushes for passage of Children's Emergency Relief and Protection Act 2 hours from now
- VIDEO | Treason, sedition charges filed against gov't negotiating panel over BBL 1 hour from now
- POEA designates Yemen as 'War Risk Trading Area' 1 hour from now
- Japanese maker of Winston, Camel cigarettes says smuggling rampant in Philippines 59 minutes from now
- US citizen accosted with hand grenade at NAIA T1 52 minutes from now
- NASA orders first commercial crew flight from Boeing 33 minutes from now
- NUPL, Suspend K12 Coalition file 3rd petition vs K-to-12, as 4th suit set for Friday 21 minutes from now