Rehab czar Ping Lacson flies to Yolanda-hit areas, meets typhoon victims
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA, Philippines -- Newly appointed rehabilitation czar PanfiloÂ Lacson had a glimpse of the places hit hard by super typhoon Yolanda (Haiyan) for theÂ first timeÂ Friday.
Lacson, a former senator, flew to Guiuan town in Samar, and to PaloÂ town, Baybay City and Tacloban City in Leyte to see for himself theÂ damage caused by Yolanda.Â
Lacson met with the residents and local officials to assess their needs.
Last Tuesday, Lacson was formally appointed as presidential assistant for rehabilitation and recovery with a Cabinet rank. Â
His main task is toÂ unify the efforts of government and other agencies in rehabilitation and recovery efforts.
President Benigno Aquino III also named business executive and professor Danilo AntonioÂ as underscretary in the Office of the President. Â Antonio will helpÂ Lacson in his new assignment. Â
- Hillary says China hacking US computers, cites military threats to allies 'like the Philippines' 7 hours from now
- PAGCOR should fund P3.9-B PAGASA modernization - Recto 6 hours from now
- NPA rebels bomb hangar in Compostela Valley, damage spray aircraft 6 hours from now
- To raise funds, Athens eyes deal to tax Greeks' assets hidden in Swiss banks - report 6 hours from now
- VIDEO | Bocaue fluvial festival pushes through despite rains 4 hours from now
- SELECTIVE JUSTICE? | Nancy, Grace Poe question Abaya exclusion from MRT raps 4 hours from now
- Storm 'Egay' brings floods to N. Luzon coastal towns 3 hours from now
- 'Nirvana' death toll rises to 61; overloading key part of probe into capsized ferry 3 hours from now
- Beijing lobbies hard ahead of South China Sea hearing despite snubbing UN tribunal 1 hour from now
- Bizman Archie King, pilot die in chopper crash; style mavens Ocampos and San Diego, 3 others, hurt 54 minutes from now
- Palace warns public vs. fake rice; watchdog says chemical found in sample banned in toys, cosmetics 15 minutes from now
- YES OR NO? Greece votes on financial future, government - and maybe euro 1 hour ago
- NPA rebels gun down fish vendor suspected of being a military asset 1 hour ago
- Filipino sailors on Greek ships will be fine - TUCP 2 hours ago
- ASEAN, EU discuss future direction of partnership 2 hours ago