TODAY'S HEADLINES

SUPER MARIO | Death toll climbs to 10, no more storm signals raised 21-Sep-14, 12:46 PM | Jaime Sinapit, InterAksyon.com

Pope says religion cannot be used to justify violence 21-Sep-14, 8:37 PM | Agence France-Presse

Authorities fear Mayon eruption may set farms, forests on fire 21-Sep-14, 5:38 PM | Danny Calleja, Philippines News Agency

HK students to mount week-long class boycott in democracy battle 21-Sep-14, 4:45 PM | Agence France-Presse

National

What is 'most dangerous' city for fireworks-related injuries? DOH has the answer

InterAksyon.com
The online news portal of TV5

MANILA, Philippines -- Quezon City is the “most dangerous” city when it comes to fireworks-related injuries, although Pasig had the most barangays vying for the dubious honor, the Department of Health said Saturday.

At the same time, Health Assistant Secretary Eric Tayag bewailed what he called the lack of police and local government action to stop the open sale of fireworks on the streets as injuries continued to rise over the holiday season.

Tayag said that, after Quezon City, DOH data from 2010 to 2012 showed the other cities where the most fireworks-related injuries happened were Pasig, Mandaluyong, Valenzuela, Marikina, Manila and Las Pinas.

In Metro Manila, Pasig City had the most number of barangays listed as “most dangerous,” with eight: Pinagbuhatan, Bagong Ilog, Pineda, Bambang, San Miguel, Kapasigan, San Joaquin and Kalawaan.

Manila had six: District 3 Barangay 268-394, Binondo, Quiapo, San Nicolas, Sta. Cruz, District 2 Barangay 147-267 East Tondo, and District 1 Barangay 1-146 West Tondo.  So did Mandaluyong: Hen. T. de Leon,  Marulas, Karuhatan, Canumay,  Malinta and Parada.

In Mandaluyong, the barangays are: Addition Hills, Hulo, Barangka drive, Poblacion, San Jose and Plainview; in Marikina: Malanday, Concepcion Uno, Parang and Sto. Niño; and in Las Piñas: Pulang Lupa Uno, BF Intl Village, Talon Dos, Pulang Lupa Dos and Fajardo. 

Tayag said the DOH has been receiving “citizen reports of ‘inadequate’ PNP or LGU or barangay action on illegal fireworks in NCR (National Capital Region).”

“DOH urges PNP on crackdown on Piccolo and other banned fireworks. Citizen report (showed) piccolo openly sold along Libertad, Pasay Road near police station,” Tayag posted on his Twitter account @erictayagsays.

DOH records showed 170 injuries in the agency’s “Aksyon: Paputok” Injury Reduction Registry as of 6 a.m. Saturday, December 28.

Of these, 164 were caused by firecrackers, with those caused by the Piccolo accounting for 101 cases; unknown firecrackers, 12; kuwitis or rockets, eight; and Five-star and Boga, six each.

The registry also listed five stray bullet victims and one from firecracker ingestion.

The incidence of injuries thus far was 10 percent than the five-year average (2008-2012) and three cases, or two percent, higher than over the same period last year.

Children below 10-years old accounted for 49 cases while 78 of the incidents happened in Metro Manila.

 

 


OTHER NATIONAL STORIES
BREAKING NEWS