PNoy declares January 20 national day of prayer and solidarity
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA, Philippines - Following the series of calamities that tested the country's resilience last year, President Benigno Aquino III has declared January 20 as National Day of Prayer and Solidarity.
In a radio interview on Sunday, Presidential Communications Operations Office head Herminio Coloma said the event would have the theme "One Nation in Prayer."
"(It) is going to be held in accordance with the Filipino people’s recognition of the guidance of Divine Providence in our forward movement towards a more progressive future," Coloma said.
While the main program will be held in Malacañang, Coloma said all Filipinos across all sectors and all religious beliefs are enjoined to participate.
In his New Year's vin d'honneur toast, Aquino told members of the diplomatic corps how Divine Providence has played a great role in lifting up the Filipino spirit despite the tragedies that befell the country.
"Some of you have marveled at the resilience of our nation, a people who’s fate though challenged remain constant and only deepened," said Aquino.
"Our unbreakable spirit and ability to recover find root in our firm belief in a benevolent God who has the perfect plan for all of us. These tragedies tell us that despite all our efforts, we are indeed powerless without God," the President added.
- VIDEO | Janet Napoles cried on learning of transfer to BJMP in Taguig - lawyer 1 hour ago
- AUDIO | 3-day truck ban on parts of NLEX to give way to INC celebration 2 hours ago
- Australia to send 100 extra police, troops to help secure MH17 crash site 3 hours ago
- Japan rejects UN watchdog's call on 'comfort women' 3 hours ago
- EU working 'swiftly' on tougher Russia Ukraine sanctions 4 hours ago
- China probes more than 25,000 people for graft in first half of year 4 hours ago
- IMF cuts PH economic forecast, warns of slower growth should gov't underspending continue 4 hours ago
- Crunch time for Gaza truce talks as death toll passes 800 4 hours ago
- AFP disputes NPA claim on fatalities in Bukidnon clash 5 hours ago
- Leisure Resorts spending P300M to expand chain of Bingo boutiques 5 hours ago
- Macay Holdings on the prowl for beverage, food acquisitions 6 hours ago
- Goldberg in Benguet to promote disaster risk reduction activities 6 hours ago
- UN says 230,000 have fled homes in Ukraine crisis 7 hours ago
- DOH: 100 millionth Pinoy is a welcome development 7 hours ago
- Joker twits 'desperate' Abad for using Cory to justify DAP 8 hours ago