PNoy declares January 20 national day of prayer and solidarity
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA, Philippines - Following the series of calamities that tested the country's resilience last year, President Benigno Aquino III has declared January 20 as National Day of Prayer and Solidarity.
In a radio interview on Sunday, Presidential Communications Operations Office head Herminio Coloma said the event would have the theme "One Nation in Prayer."
"(It) is going to be held in accordance with the Filipino people’s recognition of the guidance of Divine Providence in our forward movement towards a more progressive future," Coloma said.
While the main program will be held in Malacañang, Coloma said all Filipinos across all sectors and all religious beliefs are enjoined to participate.
In his New Year's vin d'honneur toast, Aquino told members of the diplomatic corps how Divine Providence has played a great role in lifting up the Filipino spirit despite the tragedies that befell the country.
"Some of you have marveled at the resilience of our nation, a people who’s fate though challenged remain constant and only deepened," said Aquino.
"Our unbreakable spirit and ability to recover find root in our firm belief in a benevolent God who has the perfect plan for all of us. These tragedies tell us that despite all our efforts, we are indeed powerless without God," the President added.
- 'Social news' no panacea for ailing media: study 3 minutes ago
- Cybercriminals entrenched in 'Dark Web': researchers 5 minutes ago
- Cordillera rights group urges PNoy to probe Army battalion for deaths of Abra farmer, 2 sons 5 minutes ago
- Powerful 6.9 quake strikes off California coast 9 minutes ago
- MARINA suspends fire-stricken cargo ship at Bacolod port, 6 crew now in stable condition 27 minutes ago
- New set of international peace monitors to arrive in Mindanao 44 minutes ago
- Despite doubts on Cunanan's credibility, Sen. Miriam supports his bid to be state witness 1 hour ago
- Strong sales boost Vista Land's 2013 earnings 1 hour ago
- Delfin Lee seeks writ of habeas corpus, asks CA to order his immediate release 1 hour ago
- NYC Mayor de Blasio wants to drive out Central Park's horse-drawn carriages, creates firestorm 2 hours ago
- P-Noy satisfied with Umali's explanation on reports of blocking Delfin Lee arrest 2 hours ago
- Global Power breaks ground for expansion of Panay coal plant 2 hours ago
- PHOTO | PNoy inducts into office new KBP officers 2 hours ago
- Meralco bills down P0.45 a kWh this month 2 hours ago
- Binay, Pimentel rift deepens as Nene resigns from University of Makati 2 hours ago