PNoy declares January 20 national day of prayer and solidarity
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA, Philippines - Following the series of calamities that tested the country's resilience last year, President Benigno Aquino III has declared January 20 as National Day of Prayer and Solidarity.
In a radio interview on Sunday, Presidential Communications Operations Office head Herminio Coloma said the event would have the theme "One Nation in Prayer."
"(It) is going to be held in accordance with the Filipino people’s recognition of the guidance of Divine Providence in our forward movement towards a more progressive future," Coloma said.
While the main program will be held in Malacañang, Coloma said all Filipinos across all sectors and all religious beliefs are enjoined to participate.
In his New Year's vin d'honneur toast, Aquino told members of the diplomatic corps how Divine Providence has played a great role in lifting up the Filipino spirit despite the tragedies that befell the country.
"Some of you have marveled at the resilience of our nation, a people who’s fate though challenged remain constant and only deepened," said Aquino.
"Our unbreakable spirit and ability to recover find root in our firm belief in a benevolent God who has the perfect plan for all of us. These tragedies tell us that despite all our efforts, we are indeed powerless without God," the President added.
- NUJP: ‘Spare journalists from being targets in May 9 political battle’ 1 hour ago
- WITH VIDEO | Canadian wildfire edges south, leaves thousands stranded 2 hours ago
- China to join largest US-led naval exercise off Hawaii: US official 2 hours ago
- Bongbong Marcos reveals LP's plan B: Impeach Duterte, Robredo becomes president 3 hours ago
- Purisima, 11 others indicted over anomalous Werfast deal 3 hours ago
- Poe denies being part of conspiracy to bring down Duterte 3 hours ago
- Diplomatic community notes PH's 'rising star' 4 hours ago
- Two-day liquor, campaign ban starts on May 8 4 hours ago
- VIDEO | Secretive North Korea hails nuclear program as it opens rare party congress 4 hours ago
- Armed forces on red alert status for May 9 elections 5 hours ago
- Trump says Britain would be better off outside EU 5 hours ago
- El Shaddai goes for Binay, Marcos 5 hours ago
- 'LET'S TALK' | Mar wants eyeball with Grace, but Poe is unmoved 6 hours ago
- RCBC President Lorenzo Tan resigns after bank probe clears him of complicity in money laundering 7 hours ago
- OPINION | Duterte's rock star phenomenon 7 hours ago