PNoy declares January 20 national day of prayer and solidarity
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA, Philippines - Following the series of calamities that tested the country's resilience last year, President Benigno Aquino III has declared January 20 as National Day of Prayer and Solidarity.
In a radio interview on Sunday, Presidential Communications Operations Office head Herminio Coloma said the event would have the theme "One Nation in Prayer."
"(It) is going to be held in accordance with the Filipino people’s recognition of the guidance of Divine Providence in our forward movement towards a more progressive future," Coloma said.
While the main program will be held in Malacañang, Coloma said all Filipinos across all sectors and all religious beliefs are enjoined to participate.
In his New Year's vin d'honneur toast, Aquino told members of the diplomatic corps how Divine Providence has played a great role in lifting up the Filipino spirit despite the tragedies that befell the country.
"Some of you have marveled at the resilience of our nation, a people who’s fate though challenged remain constant and only deepened," said Aquino.
"Our unbreakable spirit and ability to recover find root in our firm belief in a benevolent God who has the perfect plan for all of us. These tragedies tell us that despite all our efforts, we are indeed powerless without God," the President added.
- Hague court to rule July 12 in South China Sea case 2 hours ago
- Gazmin: Giving Duterte emergency powers can decimate ASG 3 hours ago
- California gets go-ahead to vote on legalization of marijuana 4 hours ago
- Lilia de Lima retires after 21 years as head of PEZA 4 hours ago
- GSIS allots P533 milllion for members in several El Nino-hit areas 4 hours ago
- WATCH | Citizen Aquino: From Malacañan to Times Street 4 hours ago
- PHL stocks rally ahead of Duterte inauguration 5 hours ago
- Islamic State forces Syria rebels to retreat from Iraq border area 5 hours ago
- Belmonte-led LP might end up as minority in the House 6 hours ago
- MMDA all set for Duterte-Robredo inauguration on Thursday 6 hours ago
- NPA claim assassination of Negros Occidental town councilor 6 hours ago
- Putin and Erdogan hold first phone talk since jet downing 7 hours ago
- Indonesia to upgrade military base near South China Sea 7 hours ago
- President Duterte’s inauguration on June 30 a regular working day -- Palace 8 hours ago
- Hot govt bonds in Brexit chill signal confidence in new PHL regime: market veteran 9 hours ago