PNoy declares January 20 national day of prayer and solidarity
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA, Philippines - Following the series of calamities that tested the country's resilience last year, President Benigno Aquino III has declared January 20 as National Day of Prayer and Solidarity.
In a radio interview on Sunday, Presidential Communications Operations Office head Herminio Coloma said the event would have the theme "One Nation in Prayer."
"(It) is going to be held in accordance with the Filipino people’s recognition of the guidance of Divine Providence in our forward movement towards a more progressive future," Coloma said.
While the main program will be held in Malacañang, Coloma said all Filipinos across all sectors and all religious beliefs are enjoined to participate.
In his New Year's vin d'honneur toast, Aquino told members of the diplomatic corps how Divine Providence has played a great role in lifting up the Filipino spirit despite the tragedies that befell the country.
"Some of you have marveled at the resilience of our nation, a people who’s fate though challenged remain constant and only deepened," said Aquino.
"Our unbreakable spirit and ability to recover find root in our firm belief in a benevolent God who has the perfect plan for all of us. These tragedies tell us that despite all our efforts, we are indeed powerless without God," the President added.
- Pope opens 'Holy Door' in Bangui ahead of Catholic Jubilee year 5 hours ago
- BACKGROUNDER | SDR, the IMF's special international reserve asset 6 hours ago
- Obama heads to Paris with hope for climate change deal 6 hours ago
- COP21: Conference of Hope 6 hours ago
- IS executes 3,500 in Syria since declaring 'caliphate': monitor 7 hours ago
- Italy farmers call for Christmas blacklist of planet-polluting food 7 hours ago
- Central African Republic leader seeks pope's 'forgiveness' for sectarian violence 8 hours ago
- Paris climate deal 'more likely' due to Commonwealth accord 8 hours ago
- Poe tells DFA to use legal assistance fund for distressed OFWs 9 hours ago
- Lie detectors, solitary confinement: How S. Korea screens refugees, detects N. Korea spies 10 hours ago
- Trump reframes claim that Muslims cheered 9/11 11 hours ago
- Sea Shepherd warns Japan against resuming whaling 11 hours ago
- Publish 'Feesbook' of permits, licenses to promote ease of doing business, cut red tape: Recto 12 hours ago
- US Planned Parenthood shooter spoke of 'no more baby parts' 13 hours ago
- Saudi women candidates begin first-ever campaigns for public office 14 hours ago