PNoy declares January 20 national day of prayer and solidarity
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA, Philippines - Following the series of calamities that tested the country's resilience last year, President Benigno Aquino III has declared January 20 as National Day of Prayer and Solidarity.
In a radio interview on Sunday, Presidential Communications Operations Office head Herminio Coloma said the event would have the theme "One Nation in Prayer."
"(It) is going to be held in accordance with the Filipino people’s recognition of the guidance of Divine Providence in our forward movement towards a more progressive future," Coloma said.
While the main program will be held in Malacañang, Coloma said all Filipinos across all sectors and all religious beliefs are enjoined to participate.
In his New Year's vin d'honneur toast, Aquino told members of the diplomatic corps how Divine Providence has played a great role in lifting up the Filipino spirit despite the tragedies that befell the country.
"Some of you have marveled at the resilience of our nation, a people who’s fate though challenged remain constant and only deepened," said Aquino.
"Our unbreakable spirit and ability to recover find root in our firm belief in a benevolent God who has the perfect plan for all of us. These tragedies tell us that despite all our efforts, we are indeed powerless without God," the President added.
- Cops bust drug ring in GenSan 8 hours from now
- Body of sixth UP mountaineer swept away by Tarlac flashflood found 7 hours from now
- 1,100 hectares of rice fields damaged by San Roque Dam water overflow 7 hours from now
- Shebab fighters storm African Union base in Somalia 6 hours from now
- Politicians continue to use pork barrel for 'ghost projects' - Ombudsman 6 hours from now
- DAP, PDAF plunder case vs budget chief Abad to be 'resolved this month' - Ombudsman 6 hours from now
- Robber returns P1.3 million of P1.6 million he took from Maguindanao electric coop 5 hours from now
- Oral arguments on Torre de Manila to continue 4 hours from now
- Ombudsman to ask Supreme Court to reconsider Enrile bail 4 hours from now
- Head of tribal school, lumad leader slain by militia in Surigao del Sur 4 hours from now
- Home, car loans push up banks consumer lending by 3.36% - BSP 3 hours from now
- QC urged to declare Canadian waste 'basura non grata' 3 hours from now
- NO DEAL, NO RESIGNATION | 'Will I be here if I resigned already?' - De Lima 3 hours from now
- 20,000 march in Austria after migrant truck tragedy 3 hours from now
- QCPD releases sketch of gunman in strafing of Taberna's coffee shop 3 hours from now