PNoy declares January 20 national day of prayer and solidarity
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA, Philippines - Following the series of calamities that tested the country's resilience last year, President Benigno Aquino III has declared January 20 as National Day of Prayer and Solidarity.
In a radio interview on Sunday, Presidential Communications Operations Office head Herminio Coloma said the event would have the theme "One Nation in Prayer."
"(It) is going to be held in accordance with the Filipino people’s recognition of the guidance of Divine Providence in our forward movement towards a more progressive future," Coloma said.
While the main program will be held in Malacañang, Coloma said all Filipinos across all sectors and all religious beliefs are enjoined to participate.
In his New Year's vin d'honneur toast, Aquino told members of the diplomatic corps how Divine Providence has played a great role in lifting up the Filipino spirit despite the tragedies that befell the country.
"Some of you have marveled at the resilience of our nation, a people who’s fate though challenged remain constant and only deepened," said Aquino.
"Our unbreakable spirit and ability to recover find root in our firm belief in a benevolent God who has the perfect plan for all of us. These tragedies tell us that despite all our efforts, we are indeed powerless without God," the President added.
- Cut expenses, red tape before imposing new taxes: Recto 2 hours ago
- Trump immigration policy to be 'fair and humane': campaign chief 2 hours ago
- 2-year-old Manobo boy dies in evacuation camp 2 hours ago
- Suspected 'terror' attack at Indonesian church; no serious casualties 3 hours ago
- Dozens killed as Turkey ramps up Syria offensive 3 hours ago
- German minister says talks on EU-US trade deal have 'failed' 3 hours ago
- DENR task force to crack whip on environmental crimes 4 hours ago
- Singapore reports 40 more locally transmitted Zika cases 6 hours ago
- Rody, Koko back postponement of barangay, SK elections 7 hours ago
- Govt should tap into MMDA's experience, not cut it down: ex-MMDA chair Fernando 8 hours ago
- As Fed nears rate hikes, policymakers plan for 'brave new world' 10 hours ago
- N. Korea rejects UN council's condemnation 10 hours ago
- Manila police kill 4 drug suspects in 3 separate buy-bust ops 11 hours ago
- IS-linked Maute Group extremists spring 23 comrades from Marawi jail 12 hours ago
- Campaign for federalism shifts to high gear: Alvarez 13 hours ago