PNoy declares January 20 national day of prayer and solidarity
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA, Philippines - Following the series of calamities that tested the country's resilience last year, President Benigno Aquino III has declared January 20Â as National Day of Prayer and Solidarity.
In a radio interviewÂ on Sunday, Presidential Communications Operations Office head Herminio Coloma said the event would have the theme "One Nation in Prayer."
"(It) is going to be held in accordance with the Filipino peopleâs recognition of the guidance of Divine Providence in our forward movement towards a more progressive future," Coloma said.
While the main program will be held in MalacaÃ±ang, Coloma said all Filipinos across all sectors and all religious beliefs are enjoined to participate.
In his New Year's vin d'honneur toast, Aquino told members of the diplomatic corps how Divine Providence has played a great role in lifting up the Filipino spirit despite the tragedies that befell the country.
"Some of you have marveled at the resilience of our nation, a people whoâs fate though challenged remain constant and only deepened," said Aquino.
"Our unbreakable spirit and ability to recover find root in our firm belief in a benevolent God who has the perfect plan for all of us. These tragedies tell us that despite all our efforts, we are indeed powerless without God," the President added.
- Video 'shows cabin chaos' in seconds before Alps crash - reports 8 hours from now
- Iloilo City bans liquor on Good Friday 7 hours from now
- VIDEO | Chiz wants supplier of defective weapons investigated 7 hours from now
- 120,000 Maguindanao evacuees can now return home - Catapang 7 hours from now
- At least 62 children killed in Yemen in past week - UNICEF 6 hours from now
- 'Maysak' now a super typhoon, says Joint Typhoon Warning Center 6 hours from now
- Senate sub-panel to resume hearings on VP Binay anomalies on April 13 4 hours from now
- Heavy clashes on Saudi-Yemeni border; Hadi gov't pleads for troops 3 hours from now
- Microsoft unveils low-cost Surface 3 tablet 3 hours from now
- Honda to test self-driving prototypes 3 hours from now
- Obama unblocks delivery of F-16 jets to Egypt 3 hours from now
- Bus terminals secured, says NCRPO chief Valmoria 2 hours from now
- With lung cancer rates rising, Beijing to limit motorists on heavily polluted days 2 hours from now
- Air pollution may be tied to anxiety 1 hour from now
- Travel chaos in Argentina as transit unions strike 60 minutes from now