PNoy declares January 20 national day of prayer and solidarity
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA, Philippines - Following the series of calamities that tested the country's resilience last year, President Benigno Aquino III has declared January 20 as National Day of Prayer and Solidarity.
In a radio interview on Sunday, Presidential Communications Operations Office head Herminio Coloma said the event would have the theme "One Nation in Prayer."
"(It) is going to be held in accordance with the Filipino people’s recognition of the guidance of Divine Providence in our forward movement towards a more progressive future," Coloma said.
While the main program will be held in Malacañang, Coloma said all Filipinos across all sectors and all religious beliefs are enjoined to participate.
In his New Year's vin d'honneur toast, Aquino told members of the diplomatic corps how Divine Providence has played a great role in lifting up the Filipino spirit despite the tragedies that befell the country.
"Some of you have marveled at the resilience of our nation, a people who’s fate though challenged remain constant and only deepened," said Aquino.
"Our unbreakable spirit and ability to recover find root in our firm belief in a benevolent God who has the perfect plan for all of us. These tragedies tell us that despite all our efforts, we are indeed powerless without God," the President added.
- Robinsons' Lingkod Pinoy, mall app and 'Maskara' events win Quill Awards 7 minutes ago
- Kiosked to invest US$10M in Asia Pacific through 2017 1 hour ago
- Trillanes insists he was 'doing job,' to appeal CA ruling; Binay camp hails 'rule of law' triumph 2 hours ago
- WATCH | Senate presidency has four contenders 3 hours ago
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO | Duterte gives News5 a tour of his secluded sanctuary 3 hours ago
- RACE FOR VP | Poe's campaign lawyer to represent Marcos as De Lima joins Robredo legal team 5 hours ago
- FOCUS | Is Duterte for real? Let's hear it from people who shared his early journeys 5 hours ago
- Iraqi forces begin assault on IS bastion Fallujah 5 hours ago
- Miriam seeks extension of medical leave 6 hours ago
- WORLD HUMANITARIAN SUMMIT| Stars weigh in: 'The way we respond to crisis is itself a crisis' 7 hours ago
- States, aid agencies agree to cut costs, free up money for people in crises 7 hours ago
- SWIFT to unveil new security plan after hackers' heists 8 hours ago
- COCs arrive at House for national canvass 8 hours ago
- WATCH | NBI nabs Dutch national supplying Ecstasy pills to bars in Makati 8 hours ago
- Army colonel named Duterte's senior military adviser 8 hours ago