PNoy declares January 20 national day of prayer and solidarity
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA, Philippines - Following the series of calamities that tested the country's resilience last year, President Benigno Aquino III has declared January 20Â as National Day of Prayer and Solidarity.
In a radio interviewÂ on Sunday, Presidential Communications Operations Office head Herminio Coloma said the event would have the theme "One Nation in Prayer."
"(It) is going to be held in accordance with the Filipino peopleâs recognition of the guidance of Divine Providence in our forward movement towards a more progressive future," Coloma said.
While the main program will be held in MalacaÃ±ang, Coloma said all Filipinos across all sectors and all religious beliefs are enjoined to participate.
In his New Year's vin d'honneur toast, Aquino told members of the diplomatic corps how Divine Providence has played a great role in lifting up the Filipino spirit despite the tragedies that befell the country.
"Some of you have marveled at the resilience of our nation, a people whoâs fate though challenged remain constant and only deepened," said Aquino.
"Our unbreakable spirit and ability to recover find root in our firm belief in a benevolent God who has the perfect plan for all of us. These tragedies tell us that despite all our efforts, we are indeed powerless without God," the President added.
- Be ready for another super typhoon this year - Pagasa 8 hours from now
- Yemeni rebels kill 31 as UN declares highest-level emergency 8 hours from now
- Asian markets tread water, China opens weak, investors watch Greek standoff 8 hours from now
- With so many Pinoys marrying non-Pinoys, PH urged to be party to Convention on Child Abduction 7 hours from now
- Customs asks 18 importers of resins, iron, steel to explain discrepancies in declarations 7 hours from now
- Asian factory growth stays weak, Europe and U.S. sluggish 7 hours from now
- New images show Chinese airstrip on Fiery Cross Reef nearly finished 7 hours from now
- Top military official urges Filipinos to use social media to help claim West Philippine Sea 7 hours from now
- Cuba is first country to eliminate mother-to-baby HIV transmission - WHO 6 hours from now
- LPA bringing rains over Visayas, Mindanao likely to become a storm - Pagasa 6 hours from now
- Meralco warns of higher July bills amid spike in WESM prices 6 hours from now
- 11,000 Australians urged to test for HIV, hepatitis over unhygienic dental practices 6 hours from now
- WALANG PASOK | Cotabato City suspends elementary classes due to torrential rain 6 hours from now
- Rights, civil society groups urge US to maintain restrictions on military aid to PH over abuses 6 hours from now
- ATTENTION, MOTORISTS | DPWH to conduct weekend road reblocking 5 hours from now