PNoy declares January 20 national day of prayer and solidarity
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA, Philippines - Following the series of calamities that tested the country's resilience last year, President Benigno Aquino III has declared January 20 as National Day of Prayer and Solidarity.
In a radio interview on Sunday, Presidential Communications Operations Office head Herminio Coloma said the event would have the theme "One Nation in Prayer."
"(It) is going to be held in accordance with the Filipino people’s recognition of the guidance of Divine Providence in our forward movement towards a more progressive future," Coloma said.
While the main program will be held in Malacañang, Coloma said all Filipinos across all sectors and all religious beliefs are enjoined to participate.
In his New Year's vin d'honneur toast, Aquino told members of the diplomatic corps how Divine Providence has played a great role in lifting up the Filipino spirit despite the tragedies that befell the country.
"Some of you have marveled at the resilience of our nation, a people who’s fate though challenged remain constant and only deepened," said Aquino.
"Our unbreakable spirit and ability to recover find root in our firm belief in a benevolent God who has the perfect plan for all of us. These tragedies tell us that despite all our efforts, we are indeed powerless without God," the President added.
- UN chief backs 7,500-man regional African force to fight Boko Haram 1 hour ago
- Five army men wounded in ASG ambush in Patikul, Sulu 2 hours ago
- PAF's 'widow maker' claims 2 pilot lives again 2 hours ago
- Japan says Islamic State hostage negotiations 'deadlocked' 3 hours ago
- Sources: AirAsia captain was out of his seat before jet lost control 3 hours ago
- Jihadists increasingly wary of Internet, experts say 3 hours ago
- Peace panels, in KL, say: Give peace a chance 4 hours ago
- BMW fixes security flaw in its in-car software 4 hours ago
- STRATEGIC PARTNERSHIP | PH, Japan agree to elevate defense ties 5 hours ago
- CITIZEN MANILA | Lito, 56, the Catman of Roxas Boulevard 5 hours ago
- POEA suspends recruitment firm for abuses 5 hours ago
- With SK poll postponement imminent, Comelec to resume voters’ registration for 2016 6 hours ago
- End torture, extrajudicial murders by state forces - Human Rights Watch 7 hours ago
- Jeepney driver, pal nabbed for drugs, guns in Bulacan 7 hours ago
- Legal marijuana takes root in Latin America 8 hours ago