PNoy declares January 20 national day of prayer and solidarity
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA, Philippines - Following the series of calamities that tested the country's resilience last year, President Benigno Aquino III has declared January 20 as National Day of Prayer and Solidarity.
In a radio interview on Sunday, Presidential Communications Operations Office head Herminio Coloma said the event would have the theme "One Nation in Prayer."
"(It) is going to be held in accordance with the Filipino people’s recognition of the guidance of Divine Providence in our forward movement towards a more progressive future," Coloma said.
While the main program will be held in Malacañang, Coloma said all Filipinos across all sectors and all religious beliefs are enjoined to participate.
In his New Year's vin d'honneur toast, Aquino told members of the diplomatic corps how Divine Providence has played a great role in lifting up the Filipino spirit despite the tragedies that befell the country.
"Some of you have marveled at the resilience of our nation, a people who’s fate though challenged remain constant and only deepened," said Aquino.
"Our unbreakable spirit and ability to recover find root in our firm belief in a benevolent God who has the perfect plan for all of us. These tragedies tell us that despite all our efforts, we are indeed powerless without God," the President added.
- Hamas-PLO unity may prompt US to rethink aid to Palestinians 20 minutes ago
- Manila deports 44 Taiwanese for online, phone scams 1 hour ago
- Only 4 of 414 passengers of Etihad EY0424 still unaccounted for - DOH 2 hours ago
- Ex-COA chief co-accused with GMA for plunder of PCSO funds arrested 3 hours ago
- Wack Wack golf club suspends Mar for 2 months over April 6 'meltdown' 3 hours ago
- 5 years after ERC issues rules, few utilities lining up to offer prepaid electricity 3 hours ago
- King moves to reassure Saudis as MERS deaths hit 85 3 hours ago
- Putin warns of 'consequences' as Ukrainian troops kill 'up to 5 rebels' 3 hours ago
- Toyota Philippines' exports slump in 1Q 3 hours ago
- ATI sets sights on Southeast Asia, allots P6.6B three-year capex 4 hours ago
- Afghan policeman kills 3 Americans at Kabul hospital 4 hours ago
- First Pacific acquires minority interest in Victorias Milling 4 hours ago
- MMDA suspends 2 tow truck firms for damaging vehicles 4 hours ago
- OPEN LETTER | Longest held political prisoner appeals to Obama 5 hours ago
- Big banks' bad loans climb at the start of the year 5 hours ago