PNoy declares January 20 national day of prayer and solidarity
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA, Philippines - Following the series of calamities that tested the country's resilience last year, President Benigno Aquino III has declared January 20Â as National Day of Prayer and Solidarity.
In a radio interviewÂ on Sunday, Presidential Communications Operations Office head Herminio Coloma said the event would have the theme "One Nation in Prayer."
"(It) is going to be held in accordance with the Filipino peopleâs recognition of the guidance of Divine Providence in our forward movement towards a more progressive future," Coloma said.
While the main program will be held in MalacaÃ±ang, Coloma said all Filipinos across all sectors and all religious beliefs are enjoined to participate.
In his New Year's vin d'honneur toast, Aquino told members of the diplomatic corps how Divine Providence has played a great role in lifting up the Filipino spirit despite the tragedies that befell the country.
"Some of you have marveled at the resilience of our nation, a people whoâs fate though challenged remain constant and only deepened," said Aquino.
"Our unbreakable spirit and ability to recover find root in our firm belief in a benevolent God who has the perfect plan for all of us. These tragedies tell us that despite all our efforts, we are indeed powerless without God," the President added.
- Lawmaker files bill to ban media use of 'Muslim' in crime reports 7 hours from now
- Laguna town police chief sacked over sexual harassment raps 6 hours from now
- FACT-CHECKING THE DONALD | Trump's firms have sought visas to import at least 1,100 workers 6 hours from now
- Mindanao braces for longer brownouts 5 hours from now
- Bin Laden kin reportedly killed in private jet crash in Britain 5 hours from now
- UN expert scores govt for plight of refugees from conflict, 'development' 5 hours from now
- VIDEO | Erap says open to supporting Mar in 2016 polls 4 hours from now
- Panay rebel leader Concha Araneta captured 4 hours from now
- Health advocates laud PNoy the smoker for anti-tobacco measures 4 hours from now
- How Pentagon war fund became a budget buster Washington can't resist 2 hours from now
- Vaccine success holds hope to end Ebola scourge 2 hours from now
- UN urges govt to speed up housing for Yolanda survivors 1 hour from now
- Oil price rollback likely next week 1 hour from now
- Sandigan Justice scolds gov't prosecutors for dilatory tactics vs Enrile, Reyes 34 minutes from now
- Vatican skeptical about close encounters of the third kind 5 minutes ago