PNoy declares January 20 national day of prayer and solidarity
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA, Philippines - Following the series of calamities that tested the country's resilience last year, President Benigno Aquino III has declared January 20 as National Day of Prayer and Solidarity.
In a radio interview on Sunday, Presidential Communications Operations Office head Herminio Coloma said the event would have the theme "One Nation in Prayer."
"(It) is going to be held in accordance with the Filipino people’s recognition of the guidance of Divine Providence in our forward movement towards a more progressive future," Coloma said.
While the main program will be held in Malacañang, Coloma said all Filipinos across all sectors and all religious beliefs are enjoined to participate.
In his New Year's vin d'honneur toast, Aquino told members of the diplomatic corps how Divine Providence has played a great role in lifting up the Filipino spirit despite the tragedies that befell the country.
"Some of you have marveled at the resilience of our nation, a people who’s fate though challenged remain constant and only deepened," said Aquino.
"Our unbreakable spirit and ability to recover find root in our firm belief in a benevolent God who has the perfect plan for all of us. These tragedies tell us that despite all our efforts, we are indeed powerless without God," the President added.
- West Africa seals off Ebola outbreak epicenter 54 minutes ago
- French hospital to open wine bar to cheer up terminally ill patients 1 hour ago
- Legal complication clouds medical marijuana rollout in Florida 2 hours ago
- Mines bureau expands sink hole mapping activity to Cebu, Negros provinces, Baguio 2 hours ago
- Al-Qaeda's major funding comes from European ransom payments: NYTimes 3 hours ago
- China's Xi likely to promote army general who exposed graft: sources 3 hours ago
- Ex-Gov. Lito Lapid, Pampanga execs charged for graft in fertilizer fund scam 4 hours ago
- Rescuers in Indian landslide say hopes for survivors 'bleak' 5 hours ago
- Gaza truce over, Israel soldier captured, 50 dead in Rafah shelling 5 hours ago
- Ebola 'moving faster than efforts to control it': WHO chief 5 hours ago
- 50 kilos of seized cocaine go missing from Paris police HQ 6 hours ago
- Japan offers vessels to Vietnam to boost its sea strength 6 hours ago
- Gas blast in Taiwan kills 25, injures 267, topples buildings 7 hours ago
- Ebola patient coming to US as aid workers' health worsens 8 hours ago
- Lacson: About P171B to rebuild after Yolanda 9 hours ago