PNoy declares January 20 national day of prayer and solidarity
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA, Philippines - Following the series of calamities that tested the country's resilience last year, President Benigno Aquino III has declared January 20Â as National Day of Prayer and Solidarity.
In a radio interviewÂ on Sunday, Presidential Communications Operations Office head Herminio Coloma said the event would have the theme "One Nation in Prayer."
"(It) is going to be held in accordance with the Filipino peopleâs recognition of the guidance of Divine Providence in our forward movement towards a more progressive future," Coloma said.
While the main program will be held in MalacaÃ±ang, Coloma said all Filipinos across all sectors and all religious beliefs are enjoined to participate.
In his New Year's vin d'honneur toast, Aquino told members of the diplomatic corps how Divine Providence has played a great role in lifting up the Filipino spirit despite the tragedies that befell the country.
"Some of you have marveled at the resilience of our nation, a people whoâs fate though challenged remain constant and only deepened," said Aquino.
"Our unbreakable spirit and ability to recover find root in our firm belief in a benevolent God who has the perfect plan for all of us. These tragedies tell us that despite all our efforts, we are indeed powerless without God," the President added.
- Finnish PM Alexander Stubb concedes election defeat 7 hours from now
- Mexico captures leader of Juarez cartel 7 hours from now
- Dissidents on the ballot in historic Cuba vote 6 hours from now
- Finnish opposition Center seen winning election 6 hours from now
- Clashes, Saudi-led air strikes kill 85 in Yemen 5 hours from now
- FBI admits forensic lab 'errors' against criminal suspects 5 hours from now
- F1 2015 | Hamilton wins, Raikkonen steals second from Rosberg 4 hours from now
- As Binay visits relocation site, City Hall disputes claims of Bondal 'witness' 4 hours from now
- US envoy apologizes to Poland over FBI chief's Holocaust claim 4 hours from now
- More than 30% of Arab youth jobless: labor official 3 hours from now
- Libya peace talks 'very close' to final accord: UN 2 hours from now
- VIDEO | Binay camp denies plan to leave Cabinet soon 1 hour from now
- Drilon reminds Trillanes: Only SC can discipline justices 47 minutes from now
- Chiz disputes Drilon defense of Iqbal's use of alias in peace process docs 14 minutes ago
- IS shows purported executions in Libya of Ethiopia Christians 2 hours ago