PNoy declares January 20 national day of prayer and solidarity
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA, Philippines - Following the series of calamities that tested the country's resilience last year, President Benigno Aquino III has declared January 20 as National Day of Prayer and Solidarity.
In a radio interview on Sunday, Presidential Communications Operations Office head Herminio Coloma said the event would have the theme "One Nation in Prayer."
"(It) is going to be held in accordance with the Filipino people’s recognition of the guidance of Divine Providence in our forward movement towards a more progressive future," Coloma said.
While the main program will be held in Malacañang, Coloma said all Filipinos across all sectors and all religious beliefs are enjoined to participate.
In his New Year's vin d'honneur toast, Aquino told members of the diplomatic corps how Divine Providence has played a great role in lifting up the Filipino spirit despite the tragedies that befell the country.
"Some of you have marveled at the resilience of our nation, a people who’s fate though challenged remain constant and only deepened," said Aquino.
"Our unbreakable spirit and ability to recover find root in our firm belief in a benevolent God who has the perfect plan for all of us. These tragedies tell us that despite all our efforts, we are indeed powerless without God," the President added.
- NBI arrests Cedric Lee's sister - report 11 minutes ago
- HOTEL OF THE WEEK | Parc Sovereign Hotel in Singapore 23 minutes ago
- 1 killed, about 40 hurt as bus turns upside down in Olongapo City 1 hour ago
- Yolanda hero enrolling in new Novartis anti-cancer program, thanks Change.org for development 2 hours ago
- China has a sitting judge in ITLOS, who wrote legal article on 9-dash line - veteran China watcher 2 hours ago
- Your share of power rate subsidy to Puerto Galera tourism: P1.70 per kWh 2 hours ago
- Cedric Lee's pal turning state witness, to expose 'plot' vs Vhong 2 hours ago
- NO BAIL | Court orders arrest of Deniece, Cedric, 3 others for alleged serious illegal detention of Vhong 2 hours ago
- 'DI PA TAPOS ANG PENITENSYA | Long lines, sweltering trains welcome MRT and LRT users from holiday 3 hours ago
- NAIA teams alert passengers to MERS-CoV symptoms, BI officers use face masks 3 hours ago
- Vehicle importers' group grows 1Q sales by 13 pct 4 hours ago
- Smart offers 'no lock-in' postpaid plan for mobile broadband 4 hours ago
- Sta Lucia Land mulls reviving sale of add'l shares 4 hours ago
- As Subic project stalls, Meralco banks on tieups with EGCO, Global Power to secure supply 4 hours ago
- PH economic managers retain 2014-2016 inflation targets 5 hours ago