PNoy declares January 20 national day of prayer and solidarity
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA, Philippines - Following the series of calamities that tested the country's resilience last year, President Benigno Aquino III has declared January 20 as National Day of Prayer and Solidarity.
In a radio interview on Sunday, Presidential Communications Operations Office head Herminio Coloma said the event would have the theme "One Nation in Prayer."
"(It) is going to be held in accordance with the Filipino people’s recognition of the guidance of Divine Providence in our forward movement towards a more progressive future," Coloma said.
While the main program will be held in Malacañang, Coloma said all Filipinos across all sectors and all religious beliefs are enjoined to participate.
In his New Year's vin d'honneur toast, Aquino told members of the diplomatic corps how Divine Providence has played a great role in lifting up the Filipino spirit despite the tragedies that befell the country.
"Some of you have marveled at the resilience of our nation, a people who’s fate though challenged remain constant and only deepened," said Aquino.
"Our unbreakable spirit and ability to recover find root in our firm belief in a benevolent God who has the perfect plan for all of us. These tragedies tell us that despite all our efforts, we are indeed powerless without God," the President added.
- Internet moguls Musk, Bezos shake up US space race 12 minutes ago
- World united in fight against ISIL: US President Barack Obama 30 minutes ago
- Israeli-Palestinian talks to resume Wednesday: officials 52 minutes ago
- Economic injustice theme of Pope, Kirchner meet 1 hour ago
- VIDEO | Apple fans line up to buy up new iPhones 1 hour ago
- DSWD gives P5.18-M in aid for ‘Mario’ evacuees 1 hour ago
- Prince William met by cheering crowds in Malta 2 hours ago
- Belgium thwarts jihadist attacks: report 2 hours ago
- NATO says Russian forces 'still inside Ukraine' 2 hours ago
- Albania's lesson in Muslim-Christian tolerance 3 hours ago
- F1 2014 | Hamilton snatches dramatic pole from Rosberg 3 hours ago
- Close to P100M damage on roads in 3 regions by Tropical Storm 'Mario' 3 hours ago
- Nigerian President visits collapsed building as death toll hits 86 4 hours ago
- Jihadists in social network cross-hairs 4 hours ago
- Syria Kurds flood into Turkey, fleeing IS jihadists 4 hours ago