PNoy declares January 20 national day of prayer and solidarity
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA, Philippines - Following the series of calamities that tested the country's resilience last year, President Benigno Aquino III has declared January 20 as National Day of Prayer and Solidarity.
In a radio interview on Sunday, Presidential Communications Operations Office head Herminio Coloma said the event would have the theme "One Nation in Prayer."
"(It) is going to be held in accordance with the Filipino people’s recognition of the guidance of Divine Providence in our forward movement towards a more progressive future," Coloma said.
While the main program will be held in Malacañang, Coloma said all Filipinos across all sectors and all religious beliefs are enjoined to participate.
In his New Year's vin d'honneur toast, Aquino told members of the diplomatic corps how Divine Providence has played a great role in lifting up the Filipino spirit despite the tragedies that befell the country.
"Some of you have marveled at the resilience of our nation, a people who’s fate though challenged remain constant and only deepened," said Aquino.
"Our unbreakable spirit and ability to recover find root in our firm belief in a benevolent God who has the perfect plan for all of us. These tragedies tell us that despite all our efforts, we are indeed powerless without God," the President added.
- Ousted Thai PM Yingluck to fight junta order to pay $1 billion 54 minutes ago
- PSEi, PH peso down on positive news from US 1 hour ago
- Islamic State retaliates as Iraqi forces push on Mosul 2 hours ago
- Duterte causes PH foreign policy confusion 3 hours ago
- Suspected Abu Sayyaf seize Korean ship off Tawi-Tawi, take boat captain, Pinoy crew 3 hours ago
- READ | Despite UN court victory, PH agrees to bilateral talks with China on sea row 3 hours ago
- MMDA teams deployed to Cordilleras for clearing, rescue ops in Lawin-hit areas 3 hours ago
- DepEd to stop accepting Pagcor donations for classrooms - Briones 4 hours ago
- No stranger to less-than-friendly leaders: Next US ambassador to PH was special envoy on N. Korea 6 hours ago
- As Duterte embraces China, Japan's Abe set to roll out warm welcome 6 hours ago
- Govt loses 10 dead, 32 wounded in war on drugs - PNP 7 hours ago
- ‘Betrayal,’ De Lima says of Duterte's shift to China 7 hours ago
- 6.6 magnitude quake hits western Japan - USGS 7 hours ago
- Lanao del Norte’s Kauswagan town bags international peace prize in Colombia 8 hours ago
- Trade Sec. Lopez 'clarifies' Duterte comments, says trade ties with US to stay 9 hours ago