PNoy declares January 20 national day of prayer and solidarity
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA, Philippines - Following the series of calamities that tested the country's resilience last year, President Benigno Aquino III has declared January 20Â as National Day of Prayer and Solidarity.
In a radio interviewÂ on Sunday, Presidential Communications Operations Office head Herminio Coloma said the event would have the theme "One Nation in Prayer."
"(It) is going to be held in accordance with the Filipino peopleâs recognition of the guidance of Divine Providence in our forward movement towards a more progressive future," Coloma said.
While the main program will be held in MalacaÃ±ang, Coloma said all Filipinos across all sectors and all religious beliefs are enjoined to participate.
In his New Year's vin d'honneur toast, Aquino told members of the diplomatic corps how Divine Providence has played a great role in lifting up the Filipino spirit despite the tragedies that befell the country.
"Some of you have marveled at the resilience of our nation, a people whoâs fate though challenged remain constant and only deepened," said Aquino.
"Our unbreakable spirit and ability to recover find root in our firm belief in a benevolent God who has the perfect plan for all of us. These tragedies tell us that despite all our efforts, we are indeed powerless without God," the President added.
- Sen. Miriam, other suggestions to form part of BBL revision to make it inclusive - Marcos 8 hours from now
- Underspending keeps Philippines' first-quarter budget deficit way below ceiling 7 hours from now
- 400, mostly homeless people, die in heat wave across India 7 hours from now
- PNoy: Mar Roxas on top of list of presidential bets for 2016 elections 7 hours from now
- New DepEd ARMM Secretary named after resignation of Kulayan 7 hours from now
- Another female OFW sentenced to death, this time in UAE - DFA 6 hours from now
- WHAT'S NEXT IN DISPUTE WITH CHINA? Let's start with assessment of current situation, Part 1 of 3 5 hours from now
- 5 more incentives and benefits for rural doctors pushed 5 hours from now
- Alibaba's latest gambit in fighting fakes: foster local brands 5 hours from now
- Indignados top in Barcelona, could govern Madrid 5 hours from now
- Amazon now paying tax on German sales in Germany — report 5 hours from now
- KMU hit Lucio Tan, Baldoz over violence vs Tanduay strike 4 hours from now
- Indonesia begins search for migrant boats 4 hours from now
- Hundreds of thousands expected at today's Peace Summit in Maguindanao 3 hours from now
- Fire destroys school in Parang, Maguindanao 3 hours from now