PNoy declares January 20 national day of prayer and solidarity
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA, Philippines - Following the series of calamities that tested the country's resilience last year, President Benigno Aquino III has declared January 20 as National Day of Prayer and Solidarity.
In a radio interview on Sunday, Presidential Communications Operations Office head Herminio Coloma said the event would have the theme "One Nation in Prayer."
"(It) is going to be held in accordance with the Filipino people’s recognition of the guidance of Divine Providence in our forward movement towards a more progressive future," Coloma said.
While the main program will be held in Malacañang, Coloma said all Filipinos across all sectors and all religious beliefs are enjoined to participate.
In his New Year's vin d'honneur toast, Aquino told members of the diplomatic corps how Divine Providence has played a great role in lifting up the Filipino spirit despite the tragedies that befell the country.
"Some of you have marveled at the resilience of our nation, a people who’s fate though challenged remain constant and only deepened," said Aquino.
"Our unbreakable spirit and ability to recover find root in our firm belief in a benevolent God who has the perfect plan for all of us. These tragedies tell us that despite all our efforts, we are indeed powerless without God," the President added.
- CAN'T ENJOY FULL RIGHTS LIKE OTHER PRISONERS | Sandigan junks Jinggoy's request for Undas furlough 1 hour ago
- Half-day work on Oct 31, special non-working day on Nov 1 for PH gov't employees 2 hours ago
- Government handing over Angat hydropower plant to Korean company 3 hours ago
- SALAMAT, MR. LET'S DOH IT! | Schedule of wake for Sen. Juan Flavier 3 hours ago
- SSS starts search for local fund managers 3 hours ago
- China, with thousands of workers in Africa, vulnerable to Ebola outbreak, says expert 4 hours ago
- Cebu Pacific expects 'Undas' passenger traffic to grow in the high teens this year 4 hours ago
- Flavier hailed as heroic icon, effective doctor, cool lawmaker 4 hours ago
- Weather disturbance expected to enter PHL in next 24 hours - PAGASA 5 hours ago
- HUMAN TRAFFICKERS' MODUS | NAIA renovation works used for new routes to smuggle out people 5 hours ago
- 'One of the good guys' | On his passing, Senator Juan Flavier trends worldwide on Twitter 5 hours ago
- Bangko Sentral warns of short-term volatility after US Fed ends stimulus 6 hours ago
- Select buying brings back PH stock index above 7,100-mark 7 hours ago
- Juan Flavier - Mr. Let's DOH It, People's Senator - quietly passes away 7 hours ago
- Globe takeover of Bayantel requires Congress approval, says PLDT 7 hours ago