PNoy declares January 20 national day of prayer and solidarity
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA, Philippines - Following the series of calamities that tested the country's resilience last year, President Benigno Aquino III has declared January 20 as National Day of Prayer and Solidarity.
In a radio interview on Sunday, Presidential Communications Operations Office head Herminio Coloma said the event would have the theme "One Nation in Prayer."
"(It) is going to be held in accordance with the Filipino people’s recognition of the guidance of Divine Providence in our forward movement towards a more progressive future," Coloma said.
While the main program will be held in Malacañang, Coloma said all Filipinos across all sectors and all religious beliefs are enjoined to participate.
In his New Year's vin d'honneur toast, Aquino told members of the diplomatic corps how Divine Providence has played a great role in lifting up the Filipino spirit despite the tragedies that befell the country.
"Some of you have marveled at the resilience of our nation, a people who’s fate though challenged remain constant and only deepened," said Aquino.
"Our unbreakable spirit and ability to recover find root in our firm belief in a benevolent God who has the perfect plan for all of us. These tragedies tell us that despite all our efforts, we are indeed powerless without God," the President added.
- Hottest day in recorded history registered in Kuwait 4 hours ago
- Solar plane nears end of historic round-the-world trip 4 hours ago
- Duterte vows no mercy on criminals 4 hours ago
- WATCH | President Duterte signs FOI executive order 4 hours ago
- WATCH | Deadly wildfire near Los Angeles spreads to 33,000 acres 5 hours ago
- Peso ends sideways ahead of FOMC meet 5 hours ago
- China sets up South China Sea environment protection fund 6 hours ago
- Philippine stocks sustain rally above 8,000-level 6 hours ago
- WATCH, DUTERTE'S SONA | President cracks whip on criminality 6 hours ago
- Nine Filipino militants may face death in Malaysia for 2013 siege of Sabah: lawyer 7 hours ago
- Turkey detains 42 journalists in crackdown as Europe sounds alarm 8 hours ago
- Duterte 'confusing, contradictory' on rights – HRW 8 hours ago
- ICSC hails Duterte for climate change U-turn 9 hours ago
- US, China agree to reduce risks of misencounters in South China Sea 9 hours ago
- NDFP 'ready to reciprocate' Duterte's unilateral ceasefire declaration 10 hours ago