PNoy declares January 20 national day of prayer and solidarity
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA, Philippines - Following the series of calamities that tested the country's resilience last year, President Benigno Aquino III has declared January 20 as National Day of Prayer and Solidarity.
In a radio interview on Sunday, Presidential Communications Operations Office head Herminio Coloma said the event would have the theme "One Nation in Prayer."
"(It) is going to be held in accordance with the Filipino people’s recognition of the guidance of Divine Providence in our forward movement towards a more progressive future," Coloma said.
While the main program will be held in Malacañang, Coloma said all Filipinos across all sectors and all religious beliefs are enjoined to participate.
In his New Year's vin d'honneur toast, Aquino told members of the diplomatic corps how Divine Providence has played a great role in lifting up the Filipino spirit despite the tragedies that befell the country.
"Some of you have marveled at the resilience of our nation, a people who’s fate though challenged remain constant and only deepened," said Aquino.
"Our unbreakable spirit and ability to recover find root in our firm belief in a benevolent God who has the perfect plan for all of us. These tragedies tell us that despite all our efforts, we are indeed powerless without God," the President added.
- Gulf monarchies condemn Islamic State jihadists 21 hours from now
- Filipino workers can compete with its Asian neighbors, says Palace 21 hours from now
- Dozens of Yazidi women 'sold into marriage' by jihadists: NGO 19 hours from now
- Lesotho PM confirms coup, flees to South Africa 18 hours from now
- Commonwealth urges Lesotho military to return civilian rule 32 minutes ago
- Troops 'liberate' Islamist stronghold in Somalia offensive 38 minutes ago
- Ebola hits 5th African country; experimental drug heals all monkeys in study 56 minutes ago
- Russia 'practically in war with Europe': Lithuanian president 1 hour ago
- Egypt court commutes Brotherhood leader's death sentence 2 hours ago
- Syria rebels besiege UN position near Golan Heights 2 hours ago
- Palace says Supreme Court did not ask funding for e-courts in 2014, 2015 4 hours ago
- All Filipino peacekeepers in Position 68 safe despite earlier firefight - AFP 4 hours ago
- The Irish Mail recounts rescue of Pinoy peacekeepers in Golan 5 hours ago
- FIBA World Cup: Gilas Pilipinas falls just short of overtime upset of favored Croatia 5 hours ago
- TUCP: 379 OFWs tested HIV-positive from January to July 6 hours ago