PNoy declares January 20 national day of prayer and solidarity
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA, Philippines - Following the series of calamities that tested the country's resilience last year, President Benigno Aquino III has declared January 20 as National Day of Prayer and Solidarity.
In a radio interview on Sunday, Presidential Communications Operations Office head Herminio Coloma said the event would have the theme "One Nation in Prayer."
"(It) is going to be held in accordance with the Filipino people’s recognition of the guidance of Divine Providence in our forward movement towards a more progressive future," Coloma said.
While the main program will be held in Malacañang, Coloma said all Filipinos across all sectors and all religious beliefs are enjoined to participate.
In his New Year's vin d'honneur toast, Aquino told members of the diplomatic corps how Divine Providence has played a great role in lifting up the Filipino spirit despite the tragedies that befell the country.
"Some of you have marveled at the resilience of our nation, a people who’s fate though challenged remain constant and only deepened," said Aquino.
"Our unbreakable spirit and ability to recover find root in our firm belief in a benevolent God who has the perfect plan for all of us. These tragedies tell us that despite all our efforts, we are indeed powerless without God," the President added.
- Military, police collar ASG member in Zamboanga Sibugay 10 minutes ago
- 6 online shops for your super last-minute Christmas shopping 1 hour ago
- De Lima orders crackdown on privileged jailbirds 3 hours ago
- CebuPac adjusts Tacloban flights over runway rehab 6 hours ago
- U.S. labor agency files complaints against McDonald's 7 hours ago
- Oil, stocks go their separate ways 7 hours ago
- SAMAR | Danger and poverty on the Philippines' typhoon coast 7 hours ago
- Chrysler recalls 3.3 million autos worldwide for Takata airbags 7 hours ago
- Impoverished North Korea falls back on cyber weapons 8 hours ago
- Attack could cost Sony half a billion dollars: experts 8 hours ago
- Obama warns North Korea of payback over Sony hack but twits studio for pulling film 8 hours ago
- UN's Ban praises Ebola nurses, pledges support during visit to stricken countries 8 hours ago
- Women rule Obama's yearend presscon 9 hours ago
- Citing Sydney lone wolf incident, US issues worldwide travel alert 9 hours ago
- THE OTHER CASTRO | Raul steps out of Fidel's shadow with US deal 9 hours ago