PNoy declares January 20 national day of prayer and solidarity
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA, Philippines - Following the series of calamities that tested the country's resilience last year, President Benigno Aquino III has declared January 20Â as National Day of Prayer and Solidarity.
In a radio interviewÂ on Sunday, Presidential Communications Operations Office head Herminio Coloma said the event would have the theme "One Nation in Prayer."
"(It) is going to be held in accordance with the Filipino peopleâs recognition of the guidance of Divine Providence in our forward movement towards a more progressive future," Coloma said.
While the main program will be held in MalacaÃ±ang, Coloma said all Filipinos across all sectors and all religious beliefs are enjoined to participate.
In his New Year's vin d'honneur toast, Aquino told members of the diplomatic corps how Divine Providence has played a great role in lifting up the Filipino spirit despite the tragedies that befell the country.
"Some of you have marveled at the resilience of our nation, a people whoâs fate though challenged remain constant and only deepened," said Aquino.
"Our unbreakable spirit and ability to recover find root in our firm belief in a benevolent God who has the perfect plan for all of us. These tragedies tell us that despite all our efforts, we are indeed powerless without God," the President added.
- First PEGIDA 'anti-Islamisation' rally staged in Britain 7 hours from now
- India pledges infrastructure spending to help economy 'fly' 7 hours from now
- Dozens dead as Qaeda in Syria takes rebel base: monitor 6 hours from now
- China official jailed for 17 years over jade bribes 6 hours from now
- Cavite Vice-Governor Jolo Revilla rushed to hospital with gunshot wound 5 hours from now
- Comelec: 4.7 million voters still without biometric credentials 3 hours from now
- Village chief in Masbate stabbed dead 3 hours from now
- Joint Task Force ZAMBASULTA: ASG using female combatants 2 hours from now
- PNP Mamasapano board of inquiry maintains close contact with kin of #Fallen44 56 minutes from now
- With IS rising, West ponders if Syria's Assad is 'lesser evil' 4 hours ago
- VIDEO | The real casualties of war : IDPs of Mindanao 4 hours ago
- TILL DEATH DO US PART... | California couple, married 67 years, die holding hands 5 hours ago
- China censorship sweep deletes more than 60,000 Internet accounts 5 hours ago
- Boy, 3, shoots himself dead in US 6 hours ago
- Indigenous people join calls for PNoy to quit 6 hours ago