PNoy declares January 20 national day of prayer and solidarity
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA, Philippines - Following the series of calamities that tested the country's resilience last year, President Benigno Aquino III has declared January 20 as National Day of Prayer and Solidarity.
In a radio interview on Sunday, Presidential Communications Operations Office head Herminio Coloma said the event would have the theme "One Nation in Prayer."
"(It) is going to be held in accordance with the Filipino people’s recognition of the guidance of Divine Providence in our forward movement towards a more progressive future," Coloma said.
While the main program will be held in Malacañang, Coloma said all Filipinos across all sectors and all religious beliefs are enjoined to participate.
In his New Year's vin d'honneur toast, Aquino told members of the diplomatic corps how Divine Providence has played a great role in lifting up the Filipino spirit despite the tragedies that befell the country.
"Some of you have marveled at the resilience of our nation, a people who’s fate though challenged remain constant and only deepened," said Aquino.
"Our unbreakable spirit and ability to recover find root in our firm belief in a benevolent God who has the perfect plan for all of us. These tragedies tell us that despite all our efforts, we are indeed powerless without God," the President added.
- Laude was not a sex worker, Pemberton didn't know victim was not a 'real' woman - witnesses 1 hour ago
- Man on MRT-3 bridge threatens to jump, stops operations from Boni to Guadalupe 3 hours ago
- Investment community talks up Philippines' economic prospects 3 hours ago
- No end in sight for Hong Kong protests after talks 3 hours ago
- Freed Vietnam dissident arrives in US, vows fight 3 hours ago
- China Communist body ponders action against Hong Kong stars 3 hours ago
- PNoy clears closure of 7 non-performing GOCCs 4 hours ago
- 12 ways the DOH, other gov't agencies are preparing for Ebola Virus Disease 4 hours ago
- Party-list reps seek probe of HR violations in military's Abra campaign 4 hours ago
- Ceasars Palace operator interested in putting up Philippine casino 4 hours ago
- Twitter 'source of all evil': top Saudi cleric 4 hours ago
- Globe says emphasis on smartphones paying off 4 hours ago
- OBER DA BAKOD | Laude kin climb gate of detention cell, try to find out if Pemberton is really there 5 hours ago
- PH stock index climbs back above 7,100-mark 5 hours ago
- As return of ports gridlock looms, government moves to untangle Connector Road legal knot 6 hours ago