PNoy declares January 20 national day of prayer and solidarity
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA, Philippines - Following the series of calamities that tested the country's resilience last year, President Benigno Aquino III has declared January 20 as National Day of Prayer and Solidarity.
In a radio interview on Sunday, Presidential Communications Operations Office head Herminio Coloma said the event would have the theme "One Nation in Prayer."
"(It) is going to be held in accordance with the Filipino people’s recognition of the guidance of Divine Providence in our forward movement towards a more progressive future," Coloma said.
While the main program will be held in Malacañang, Coloma said all Filipinos across all sectors and all religious beliefs are enjoined to participate.
In his New Year's vin d'honneur toast, Aquino told members of the diplomatic corps how Divine Providence has played a great role in lifting up the Filipino spirit despite the tragedies that befell the country.
"Some of you have marveled at the resilience of our nation, a people who’s fate though challenged remain constant and only deepened," said Aquino.
"Our unbreakable spirit and ability to recover find root in our firm belief in a benevolent God who has the perfect plan for all of us. These tragedies tell us that despite all our efforts, we are indeed powerless without God," the President added.
- MASERATI ROAD RAGE | MMDA's Tolentino bats for simultaneous lie-detector tests 52 minutes ago
- Farmers groups hold anti-militarization rally at Aquino residence in QC 2 hours ago
- HOLIDAY TRAVEL | Longing for the Sun in Boracay 3 hours ago
- Australia intercepts Sri Lankan asylum seekers, turns back most 3 hours ago
- DFA starts temporary OFW express processing at regional consular offices 4 hours ago
- WEEKEND CHEF | Recipe: There’s a potato in this chocolate mousse dessert! 5 hours ago
- DOJ slammed for 'washing hands' on harassment suits vs Mindanao activists 5 hours ago
- Taiwan votes in key elections ahead of presidential polls 6 hours ago
- Bad weather grounds Manila-Dumaguete flights 6 hours ago
- US-led strikes haven't weakened IS - Syria 6 hours ago
- British reporter awaits verdict in contempt trial over Bangladesh war toll 6 hours ago
- AFP to have new spokesman as Tutaan retires 7 hours ago
- Suspected killer of Albay UNA chair slain in shootout with cops 8 hours ago
- Albay eyes economic dividend from hosting APEC Summit kick-off event 8 hours ago
- IWAS MUNA | Male Ebola survivors advised to abstain from sex 8 hours ago