PNoy declares January 20 national day of prayer and solidarity
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA, Philippines - Following the series of calamities that tested the country's resilience last year, President Benigno Aquino III has declared January 20 as National Day of Prayer and Solidarity.
In a radio interview on Sunday, Presidential Communications Operations Office head Herminio Coloma said the event would have the theme "One Nation in Prayer."
"(It) is going to be held in accordance with the Filipino people’s recognition of the guidance of Divine Providence in our forward movement towards a more progressive future," Coloma said.
While the main program will be held in Malacañang, Coloma said all Filipinos across all sectors and all religious beliefs are enjoined to participate.
In his New Year's vin d'honneur toast, Aquino told members of the diplomatic corps how Divine Providence has played a great role in lifting up the Filipino spirit despite the tragedies that befell the country.
"Some of you have marveled at the resilience of our nation, a people who’s fate though challenged remain constant and only deepened," said Aquino.
"Our unbreakable spirit and ability to recover find root in our firm belief in a benevolent God who has the perfect plan for all of us. These tragedies tell us that despite all our efforts, we are indeed powerless without God," the President added.
- AFP to pursue complaint against Sueselbeck 52 minutes ago
- Global shares post best week since mid-2013 after earnings boost 2 hours ago
- Two dead in US school shooting after online warnings 4 hours ago
- PhFW SPRING/SUMMER 2015 | Day 1: Four looks at the Forever 21 show 4 hours ago
- African immigrants face ostracism as fear of Ebola runs high in US 7 hours ago
- HULI SI KAP | Bulacan village chief nabbed in office for peddling 'shabu' 8 hours ago
- Palo archdiocese denies papal visit behind Yolanda survivors' transfer 9 hours ago
- CHOW BUZZ I Two new restaurants to try: TuanTuan and 12/10 9 hours ago
- WEEKEND CHEF | Chef Babes Austria’s heirloom Kinamyasan na Alamang 10 hours ago
- CLASS ACT | Canadians scrub off hate messages painted on mosque after deaths of soldiers 10 hours ago
- New York, New Jersey order tough Ebola quarantine rules 11 hours ago
- Canada vows tougher laws after attacks on soldiers 13 hours ago
- Holiday in 10 provinces, 7 cities of Mindanao for Islamic New Year 13 hours ago
- Egypt declares state of emergency in Sinai after bomb kills 30 troops 13 hours ago
- 2 cops dead, 2 other persons wounded in California shooting spree 14 hours ago