PNoy declares January 20 national day of prayer and solidarity
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA, Philippines - Following the series of calamities that tested the country's resilience last year, President Benigno Aquino III has declared January 20 as National Day of Prayer and Solidarity.
In a radio interview on Sunday, Presidential Communications Operations Office head Herminio Coloma said the event would have the theme "One Nation in Prayer."
"(It) is going to be held in accordance with the Filipino people’s recognition of the guidance of Divine Providence in our forward movement towards a more progressive future," Coloma said.
While the main program will be held in Malacañang, Coloma said all Filipinos across all sectors and all religious beliefs are enjoined to participate.
In his New Year's vin d'honneur toast, Aquino told members of the diplomatic corps how Divine Providence has played a great role in lifting up the Filipino spirit despite the tragedies that befell the country.
"Some of you have marveled at the resilience of our nation, a people who’s fate though challenged remain constant and only deepened," said Aquino.
"Our unbreakable spirit and ability to recover find root in our firm belief in a benevolent God who has the perfect plan for all of us. These tragedies tell us that despite all our efforts, we are indeed powerless without God," the President added.
- Still no DNA match with supposed kin, Poe says 15 minutes ago
- WEEKEND GUIDE | February 12 to 14: Hot Air Balloon Fest, UP Fair, and Valentine shows 19 minutes ago
- Missing Hong Kong bookseller 'involuntarily removed' to China - UK 1 hour ago
- FRIENDS LIKE THESE… | Turkey threatens to send refugees to EU 1 hour ago
- Clinton, Sanders spar on health care 2 hours ago
- Duterte camp slams Roxas for 'vote-buying' through BUB 2 hours ago
- NY FASHION WEEK | Kanye West’s new album and fashion show draw 20 million viewers 3 hours ago
- Sentry wounded, attacker killed in hacking at Sulu Army base 3 hours ago
- South Korea cuts power, water to Kaesong zone in North Korea 3 hours ago
- Despite non-passage of BBL, GPH-MILF peace panels committed to peace 3 hours ago
- Expect heavy traffic around Villamor over work on NAIA expressway - DPWH 4 hours ago
- Major powers agree to Syria truce 4 hours ago
- Poe, Escudero urge Comelec to talk to stakeholders about glitches, other poll issues 4 hours ago
- IS has used, can make, chemical weapons - CIA 5 hours ago
- LRMC signs P24B loan facility, EPC for LRT 1 Cavite Extension 5 hours ago