InterAksyon.com means BUSINESS
MANILA - The Aquino administration has suspended five infrastructure projects funded by official development assistance and approved by the previous goverment, according to the National Economic and Development Authority.
In its 2011 ODA Portfolio Review, NEDA said the government physically suspended the implementation of five projects as follows:
- $396.31 million Laguna Lake Rehabilitation Project. This was cancelled by President Benigno Aquino III in November 2010 and the termination of the loan agreement was formally acknowledged by the lender, the Baggerwerken Decloedt en Zoon on June 28, 2011. The project aims to improve the ecological and environmental quality of the Laguna Lake.
- P12 billion Greater Maritime Access Ports. This was cancelled due to costly technology, suitability/feasibility concerns, and superfluity of investments. However a reevaluation of the project‘s contractual arrangement and scope by representatives from the Department of Transportation and Communications, Philippine Ports Authority, Department of Finance and the Office of Solicitor General is ongoing. The project aims to provide the necessary water transport infrastructure complementing the development of the Strong Republic Nautical Highway/Western Nautical Highway and Pan-Philippine Highway/Eastern Nautical Highway.
- $400 million Northrail Project-Phase I, Stage I (Caloocan-Malolos) has remained suspended for over a year due to unresolved issues pertaining to the construction contract and its delivery. The project aims to provide an efficient transport service for passengers and goods between Metro Manila and Central and Northern Luzon, thus providing a solution to the metro traffic problem and encouraging urban sprawl outside the Metro Manila area. "Per OP memo to the DFA dated 19 December 2011, GOP and China will create a whole new project that incorporates several elements of the existing project, but will be an entirely new project. This requires a new feasibility study that calls for a new round of ICC approval process," NEDA said.
- P13 billion New Communications, Navigation and Surveillance/Air Traffic Management Systems Development Project was suspended in November 2011 due to the delayed/nonpayment of consultants and contractors for services already rendered. The project aims to develop a dynamic and integrated CNS/ATM System using satellite technology to enhance safety, reliability and efficiency of air traffic and airspace systems in the Philippines.
- The supply contract for the P7.35 billion Tulay ng Pangulo para sa Magsasaka was terminated in 2008 due to non-compliance with a number of contract provisions. The project aims to increase the productivity and income of Agrarian Reform Beneficiaries (ARBs) through the construction and erection of bridges in ARC. "A settlement agreement was signed in June 2010 between the DAR and the supply contractor to recoup part of the advance payment and for the formal closure of the terminated supply contract. Said agreement is not supported by a necessary budget cover for CY 2012," NEDA said.
InterAksyon.com means BUSINESS