Gov't defers transfer of flights to Laguindingan Airport until after summer
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA - The Department of Transportation and Communications (DOTC) has deferred by one-and-a-half months the transfer of Northern Mindanao's gateway from the old Lumbia Airport to the new Laguindingan facility to avoid cancellation of flights during the peak summer travel season.
“The postponement will give the airlines ample time to inform their customers of their new flight schedules at Laguindingan Airport. This will lessen the possibility of disrupting travel plans and causing inconvenience to the riding public,” DOTC said in a statement.
Originally scheduled on April 30, the transfer of flights has been moved to June 15.
DOTC said the suspension was in response to requests from airlines. In petitions before the Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines (CAAP), the airlines said they were hard-pressed informing a substantial number of passengers who had already purchased tickets for flights in April and May.
“It is in the best interest of the government and of the airlines to deliver safe and convenient services to the public,” said the DOTC.
“As we took stock of the assessment of both CAAP and the airline companies that the Laguindingan Airport is already a safer alternative to the Lumbia Airport, we again listen to their inputs saying that postponing the transfer will be better for passenger convenience,” DOTC said.
Airlines that operate at Cagayan de Oro include Cebu Pacific, Philippine Airlines, PAL Express, and Zest Air. They serve a combined 2,000 passengers a day.
Cebu Pacific earlier said 75,000 passengers would be affected by the transfer of flights from Lumbia to Laguindingan. Passenger figures cover those scheduled to travel from April 30 to July 31.