TODAY'S BUSINESS HEADLINES

Over 100 cruise calls scheduled to dock in PHL this year – DOT 13-Jan-17, 11:24 PM | Philippines News Agency

China posts worst export fall since 2009 as fears of US trade war loom 13-Jan-17, 10:31 PM | Elias Gleen and Sue-lin Wong, Reuters

CONSUMER POWER OUTLOOK | Record low rates in January, spike in March 13-Jan-17, 2:38 PM | Gerard de la Peña, Bloomberg TV Philippines | Ernie Reyes, InterAksyon.com

We'll pay for medical bills of Bataan folk near coal plant, even if it's 'galis aso' - SMC's Ang 12-Jan-17, 2:56 PM | Shyla Francisco, Bloomberg TV Philippines

PHP up, PSEi down on investors disappointment on Trump's presscon 13-Jan-17, 12:33 AM | Philippines News Agency

Lepanto secures indigenous people's consent to Far Southeast copper-gold project

InterAksyon.com means BUSINESS

MANILA - Lepanto Consolidated Mining Co today said it marked a milestone in its quest for a financial or technical assistance agreement (FTAA) for its Far Southeast Project in Benguet province.

In a disclosure to the Philippine Stock Exchange, Lepanto said 85 of the leaders of an indigenous people living in barangays in and around the project area in Mankayan town endorsed the FTAA for Far Southeast Gold Resources Inc (FSGRI).

“The taking of the vote is a significant step in the free and prior informed consent (FPIC) process, a prerequisite to the issuance of an FTAA to FSGRI,” Lepanto said.

Lepanto owns 60 percent of the project, with South Africa's Gold Fields Ltd holding the remaining 40 percent. Under a deal it struck with its Philippine partner, Gold Fields has the option to purchase another 20 percent of the project, the trigger being the approval of the FTAA.

Initial drilling at the project site yielded a mineral resource estimate of 19.8 million ounces of gold and 4.5 million metric tons of copper.

 

advertisement
OTHER BUSINESS STORIES
BREAKING NEWS