TODAY’S HEADLINES

Apple, FBI investigate massive celebrity nude photo ‘hack’Tuesday, September 2, 2014 10:29 am | Agence France-Presse

Andi, Gabby, Maxine Eigenmann pay tribute to late father Mark GilTuesday, September 2, 2014 9:49 am | By Edwin P. Sallan, InterAksyon.com

Jennifer Lawrence contacts authorities after nude photos hackedTuesday, September 2, 2014 9:21 am | By Ian Simpson, Reuters

Toni Gonzaga not in a hurry to be engaged this yearMonday, September 1, 2014 9:45 pm | By Edwin P. Sallan, InterAksyon.com

Miss World franchise holder Cory Quirino says pageant in Indonesia will push through

Screenshot of Megan Young as she appears in the Miss World online voting app. (From the Facebook page of Megan Young for Miss World Philippines 2013)

“As far as we’re concerned, it’s all systems go.”

That’s what Miss World Philippines pageant director Cory Quirino of CQ Global Quest said in response to reports of mounting opposition to the staging of the Miss World beauty pageant in Indonesia.

“We have not received any word from Miss World organizers in London that the pageant is not pushing through so we’re just going about our usual routine,” Quirino said during a telephone interview with InterAksyon Saturday.

It was earlier reported that a commissioner from Indonesia’s National Human Rights Commission said he opposed an event that “put women’s bodies on display”. Then, religious affairs minister Suryadharma Ali called for the event to be cancelled altogether even as organizers had already agreed to axe the swimsuit round.

Last June, pageant organizers announced that contestants would wear Balinese sarongs in lieu of the usual bikini wear in an effort to avoid causing offense in the Muslim-majority country.

Miss World Philippines franchise holder Cory Quirino and Miss World CEO Julia Morley. (Allan Gomez/InterAksyon)

When asked to comment on the absence of the swimsuit competition this year, Quirino clarified that there will still be a Beach Beauty competition in this year’s pageant as the Philippine entourage was also advised to bring a one-piece swimsuit for Miss World Philippines 2013 Megan Young.

“There will be private judging for the competition so this will probably be not shown on TV anymore,” Quirino noted.

She also said that protests against Miss World and beauty pageants in general are nothing new since she personally saw the pageant being picketed in London in 2011 by protesters who also had a problem with its swimsuit competition.

With or without the popular bikini round, Quirino feels very good about the chances of Megan Young in this year’s pageant.

“I believe she is one of the strongest candidates for Miss World this year. She’s beautiful, she’s intelligent and she’s very graceful and poised when she walks the fashion runway. She’s also athletic and excels in sports which is good because Miss World has a sports competition,” she pointed out.

“And of course, Megan is also very genuine. She speaks from the heart and her answers are not scripted, which is what Miss World president Julia Morley likes.

 

Megan herself is all pumped up for the pageant judging from her replies to her followers who already voted for her online. The current Miss World Philippines is currently number two in the voting that will determine the title of People’s Champion.

Quirino announced that they will give Megan the proper send-off at the airport when she departs for Denpasar in Bali via Philippine Airlines this Tuesday tentatively scheduled for 6PM.

InterAksyon.com
RELATED ARTICLES
OTHER NATIONAL STORIES
BREAKING NEWS