After three straight defeats, the Meralco Bolts have decided to cut Terrence Williams, tapping resident import Mario West in a bid to salvage their campaign in the PLDT Home Telpad Governors’ Cup.
Meralco coach Ryan Gregorio revealed that the team is already in contact with West, who has reinforced the team in each of the past two Governors’ Cup tournaments.
“He had a good stint in France and now that the season is over, he’s now available,” Gregorio told InterAksyon.com. “We just have to wait if he had already boarded on a flight going to Manila.”
While Williams boasts great credentials as a former No. 11 overall pick in the NBA, he just wasn’t a good fit in the PBA.
“There’s a misfit. Things like that happen,” said Gregorio.
Williams scored 26 points in the Bolts’ loss on Saturday to Barangay Ginebra San Miguel, but he once again struggled with too many attempts from beyond the arc.
Sheryl Reyes, who represents West in the PBA, said the import was already on his way to the airport as of press time.
“He is going to arrive Monday morning,” Reyes said. “He had already signed a contract with Meralco.”
» Purefoods eyes third win in a row in tiff with Meralco; Barako Bull, Talk ‘N Text collide
» MUST BE THE BARBECUE | Meralco back on track after family get-together
» Meralco’s Reynel Hugnatan holds fort against Kings’ giants: ‘Mas na-cha-challenge ako kapag Ginebra’