Eric Menk said he has rejected Ginebra San Miguel’s offer to be part of coach Siot Tanquingcen’s coaching staff.
“Coach Siot offered me a position in the coaching staff, but couldn’t tell me what my salary would be if I accept it. I told him I wasn’t interested in coaching right now. That’s been the extent of my conversation with Ginebra since we lost last season. That happened August 23,” the 2004 PBA Most Valuable Player told InterAKTV in an overseas text message.
Menk said his status is in limbo because the squad’s roster is full.
“I was told there is no spot for me there [in the Ginebra lineup],” Menk said. “That’s because they have five Fil-Ams already and a full 14-man roster.”
PBA rules allows teams to suit up a maximum of five foreign-born players in each roster.
Agent Sheryl Reyes said that Menk had approached her for help in sorting out the situation.
“He was clueless on how he would do things because no one from Ginebra has contacted him for quite some time, so I talked to Noli Eala,” said Reyes. “But Eric didn’t ask to be part of the coaching staff. It was offered to him.”
Earlier, Tanquingcen told InterAKTV that Ginebra wanted to keep Menk as an assistant coach and part-time player.
“I see him as a very smart player. Ang gusto ko sanang mangyari kay Eric is to play the same situation of Johnny Abarrientos during his latter years sa Ginebra,” Tanquingcen told InterAKTV. “He can help out sa skills ng mga big men namin, then when a need arises, pwede rin naming siyang bunutin para maglaro.”
Menk, who turned 38 earlier this week, played in just seven games for Ginebra this season after nursing injuries. He averages career lows in minutes (8.9) and scoring (1.7).
» Caption This: Mark Caguioa looks a bit different, and why is he with Alaska fans in the stands?
» LA Tenorio sees runner-up finish as stepping stone for future Ginebra championship
» New face of Alaska: Fred Uytengsu sees bright future for star rookie Calvin Abueva