LAS VEGAS, Nevada – Floyd Mayweather’s attorneys have asked the fighter to be allowed to spend the remainder of his domestic battery sentence at home or the undefeated fighter might never climb in the ring again.
The Las Vegas Review-Journal reported on Tuesday that Mayweather’s lawyers have filed an emergency motion asking that the 35-year-old US boxer spend the rest of his sentence under house arrest after just 12 days behind bars.
Lawyer Richard Wright claims Mayweather’s physical conditioning is suffering under the stress of “inhumane conditions” at the Clark County Detention Center.
“Any lengthy period of time with an inappropriate diet, coupled with lack of regular exercise, will most likely lead to irreversible damage to Mayweather’s physique,” Mayweather personal doctor Robert Voy said in the motion.
“Such damage could and, most likely, would lead to Mayweather being unable to continue his boxing career.”
Mayweather was sentenced to 90 days in jail after pleading guilty to beating his former girlfriend as their children watched in September of 2010. After a delay so he could fight last month, Mayweather began his sentence on June 1.
Police have kept Mayweather apart from the general prison population, saying they wanted to protect him from other prisoners, but this has kept him confined to his cell 23 hours a day in a locked-down area.
Wright said jail officials have indicated he will remain in isolation until his scheduled release date of August 3.
Mayweather is alone and unable to use training facilities in the one hour of each day he is allowed to spend in a recreation area, the filing claims.
“Whether Mr. Mayweather will be able to box again is dependent on his continued conditioning,” the motion said.
Wright claims there is different treatment for others who commit similar offenses and because he is a celebrity he “cannot be accommodated” at the Clark County Detention Center.
But Mayweather’s home is a mansion that the newspaper said has a closet larger than his jail cell.
Mayweather’s co-manager, Leonard Ellerbe, and Voy claim in the 35-page motion that it would threaten Mayweather’s career for him to remain in jail and that he had planned to fight for at least two more years.
“Medical opinion shows that CCDC administrative segregation threatens to end or shorten Mr. Mayweather’s boxing career,” the motion said.
Voy examined Mayweather last Friday and found he is eating less than 800 calories a day — mostly fruit, bread and energy bars — rather than the 3,000 to 4,000 calories he would consume in a normal daily training routine.
“After examining Mr. Mayweather, Dr. Voy was concerned with Mr. Mayweather’s dehydrated appearance, his lack of muscle tone and his dry mucus membranes,” the motion said.
Voy worried Mayweather could be withdrawing into depression and develop anger issues that he normally copes with through his exercise regimen.
“He believes he is treated in a very unfair and inhumane way,” Voy said in the motion, which also claims isolation and lack of training “may cause, not just huge financial harm to Mayweather, but also huge emotional harm if he is no longer able to pursue his boxing career because of the de-conditioning he has suffered.”
Mayweather improved to 43-0 with a victory by unanimous decision last month over Puerto Rican star Miguel Cotto, one that assured Mayweather at least $32 million.
But Mayweather has yet to fight Filipino icon Manny Pacquiao in the bout most boxing fans have sought for several years while both men are at the peak of their skills.
Pacquiao suffered a controversial split-decision loss last weekend to unbeaten American Tim Bradley, setting up a rematch for later this year that would push back a possible Pacquiao-Mayweather showdown until at least 2013.
» Floyd Mayweather remains undefeated with unanimous decision over Robert Guerrero
» Floyd Mayweather, Robert Guerrero make weight for title fight
» Returning Floyd Mayweather set to risk title, unbeaten record against Robert Guerrero