LAS VEGAS, Nevada — Rising Mexican star Saul “Canelo” Alvarez beat Shane Mosley to retain his World Boxing Council super welterweight title at the MGM Grand hotel and casino.
The 21-year-old Alvarez on Saturday defended his title for the fourth consecutive time, winning by unanimous decision and saying the triumph over the aging US great was the start of a new phase in his career.
“It was a great experience. This is the beginning of my career,” the undefeated Alvarez said.
Alvarez’s superior defence and hard, accurate punches proved to be too much for the 40-year-old Mosley, who was giving away 19 years in age to the Mexican.
Two of the judges scored it 119-109 and the third had it 118-110.
But challenger Mosley (46-8-1, 39 KOs) fought to the end and kept his record of having never been knocked out intact.
And he didn’t have to resort to the tactics he used last year against Manny Pacquiao by clinching constantly in the final rounds.
Fighting on the undercard of the Floyd Mayweather v Miguel Cotto world title fight, Mosley hinted after the bout that it could have been his last.
“These kids are beating me up, huh,” said Mosley, who has lost three of his last four fights.
Asked if he might retire, Mosley replied, “It can look that way. When you get kids beating you up.”
After a slow first round, Alvarez (40-0-1, 29 KOs) started taking the fight to Mosley.
But Alvarez suffered a cut above his left eye in the third round after Mosley leaned in with his head following an exchange of punches. It was the first time in his career Alvarez had been cut.
The cut started bleeding immediately and the disgusted look on Alvarez’s face indicated he thought Mosley did it on purpose.
But his corner did a good job of stopping the bleeding prior to the fourth round and it didn’t present a problem for him during the remainder of the fight.
“Mayweather, Cotto, Pacquiao, I am ready,” Alvarez said. “Viva Mexico!” Alvarez said.