Like the rest of the world, we are going to welcome the New Year with much pomp and revelry. But before the fireworks shoot up into the sky and burst with colorful lights in grandiose patterns, the much awaited reunion with family and friends takes place.
This is something we always look forward to because, after a year of leading separate lives in the pursuit of our own dreams and careers, we finally get to take a break, relax and enjoy our loved ones’ company.
So, before we all sit down for Media Noche, we can maximize our time together with our cousins, aunts, uncles and friends by catching up on each other’s lives over refreshing drinks and cocktail food. Crispy Kangkong with mayonnaise dip should keep that interesting conversation going and your palate happily satisfied until it’s time to celebrate with fireworks and share a hearty Media Noche.
Crispy Kangkong is a healthy choice because kangkong is a green leafy vegetable that’s rich in antioxidants. It’s a great balancer for the lechon or ham that we might have on the dining table this holiday season.
2 bunches kangkong leaves
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
1 tsp. baking powder
salt and pepper to taste
3/4 cup ice-cold water
oil for frying
For the mayonnaise dip
1/2 cup mayonnaise
dash of liquid seasoning
1. Wash two bunches of fresh kangkong.
2. Pick kangkong leaves from the stalks. Put in a bowl and pat-dry.
3. In a bowl, beat egg. Add all-purpose flour, cornstarch, baking powder, salt and pepper, and ice-cold water. Mix well.
4. Heat oil in a pan.
5. When oil is hot, dip kangkong leaves in the batter.
6. Fry kangkong leaves until crispy.
7. Remove and drain off excess oil on paper towel.
8. Prepare the dip. Put a few dashes of liquid seasoning on the mayonnaise, and mix well. Serve on the side.