Diocese says bishop on Paolo Duterte’s list old, weak for destab efforts

December 11, 2018 - 8:00 AM
2813
Paolo Duterte
In this photo: Paolo Duterte filed his certificate of candidacy for a seat in the Congress next year. (Jeffrey Tupas, City Information officer, via The STAR/Edith Regalado)

The Diocese of San Pablo in Laguna appealed to the public to be cautious in posting on social media after one of its former bishops was tagged in Paolo Duterte’s controversial list of alleged destabilizers of his father’s administration.

It said on Facebook that Bishop Leo Drona, whom Duterte claimed to be part of a movement to oust President Rodrigo Duterte, is already physically weak and can only celebrate the Holy Eucharist on a wheelchair.

Statement of the Diocese of San Pablo on the Inclusion of the name of Bishop-Emeritus Leo M. Drona, SDB, DD, in the List…

Posted by The Roman Catholic Diocese of San Pablo on Sunday, December 9, 2018

 

“At present, the bishop is physically weak and is suffering from poor eye sight due to macular degeneration. Despite this condition, he still performs his priestly duties, especially celebrating the Holy Eucharist while sitting on wheelchair,” the statement read.

“We pray that any postings in social media be governed by truth justice and respect,” it added.

Drona resigned from his post on Jan. 25, 2013, even before the mandatory 75-year-old retiring age, due to health reasons.

He’s also suffering from poor eyesight due to an ailment called macular degeneration.

His fellow priest, Fr. David Reyes, defended him and late Bishop Julio Labayen through separate Facebook posts.

Reyes said that Labayen had already passed away even before the start of Duterte’s presidency.

Drona is currently living at the Clergy Retirement House in San Pablo City, Laguna.

Oust Duterte Movement?

The list titled “Oust Duterte Movement” was shared by the younger Duterte on his Facebook page last week but he eventually deleted it.

Screenshots of it, however, were taken by online Filipinos and reshared them on social media.

Aside from priests, the list included journalists Maria Ressa, Ellen Tordesillas and Ed Lingao. It also tagged corporations Jollibee, PLDT and Century Tuna.

Vice President Leni Robredo, who was accused as the leader of such group, described the presidential son’s act of posting unverified information online as “irresponsible.”

The National Union of Journalists of the Philippines likewise criticized Duterte for placing the lives of the individuals he mentioned on the list in greater danger.