Tagged in drug trade anew, Paolo Duterte dares alias Bikoy to file cases

May 7, 2019 - 6:18 PM
1655
Paolo and Bikoy
Peter Joemel Advincula, the man who claimed to be Bikoy (Philstar.com/file)

Former Davao City Vice Mayor Paolo Duterte dared the man who admitted to be behind the controversial “Ang Totoong Narcolist” videos, to file charges against him and his father, President Rodrigo Duterte.

Paolo and other relatives of his father President Rodrigo Duterte were accused of being involved in the illegal drug trade by Peter Advincula, who appeared as a hooded figure “Bikoy” in the videos.

On Facebook, the presidential son hit back at Advincula, whom he called a scammer and actor. He also tagged political opponent Sen. Antonio Trillanes in his rant.

“Ganito. Puro satsat. Panay drama. Mag-sampa ka ng kaso. Sasagutin kita. Haharapin kita. Isama mo rin si Trillanes,” Paolo said on May 6.

Malacañang also dismissed the accusations as black propaganda against Duterte’s family and allies.

“Let’s hear him out, what he’s going to say. Like what we’ve always been saying, the video is black propaganda against the government,” Panelo told CNN Philippines.

Government agencies should be capable of verifying Advincula’s claims, said long-time human rights lawyer Chel Diokno, a senatorial candidate under the Otso Diretso slate. Diokno noted the presence of documents in the five-part videos.

“Dapat tignan nang maiigi kung anong sinasabi ni Advincula because of the seriousness of the allegations. Maveverify naman yan e. Kung babalikan yung mga videos, may mga pinakita siyang mga documents that can easily be verified by government agencies,” Diokno told reporters on May 7.

“It should be an evidence-based investigation. The people deserve to have a judgement based on evidence rather than what one says and the other,” he added.

The eight-member opposition slate Otso Diretso was dragged into the controversy after webmaster Rodel Jayme said he created the website Metrobalita, where the viral videos were first uploaded, to boost the slate’s campaign. Jayme was taken into custody by the Department of Justice last week over sedition charges.

Otso Diretso’s campaign manager Sen. Francis “Kiko” Pangilinan denied this. Advincula also said he does not know Jayme.

The Philippine National Police is yet to validate if Advincula and Bikoy are one and the same individual.

“We do not take his claim at surface level. We will ascertain his identity based on evidence, and if he is willing, he may come over either to the NBI or the PNP,” PNP spokesperson Col. Bernard Banac said.

Who is Bikoy?

Advincula introduced himself as someone who was once part of the syndicate but got out due to threats to his life. He was also being bothered by his conscience, he said.

Nakikita ko ang pagwasak ng pamilya na dulot ng droga, na kung saan naging bahagi ako sa pagpapakalat nito noong miyembro pa ako ng sindikato. Panahon na upang puksain ang pamamayagpag ng sindikatong ito,” he said.

He also claims he is not connected to any political party or candidate, particularly the members of Otso Diretso.

He is, however, aware of the matrix that Duterte used to link certain members of media organizations to an unproven plot to unseat him.

Advincula recalled that his stint in the drug trade started when his former boss, a certain Tess Rañola, assigned him to work as a control man of a group of big-time drug operators’ radio base and surveillance in Albay in 2010.

He was arrested over estafa charges in 2012 because of it. He got an early release in 2016 for good behavior.

Advincula said he approved the Integrated Bar of the Philippines (IBP) to seek legal assistance to sue alleged members of an organization peddling illegal narcotics.

However, incoming IBP president Domingo Cayosa said Advincula should go through a vetting process first before he is given free legal aid.

“Ivi-vet out muna s’ya… Mayroon naman tayong proseso ng pagve-vet out bago natin tanggapin ang sinumang lumapit for free legal aid,” Cayosa said.