6-month Boracay clean-up target ‘doable’, says waste management chief

February 16, 2018 - 9:09 AM
3988
Jason Magbanua, a videographer, made a video in an attempt to stop Boracay's closure. (file photo)
FROM AROUND THE WEB

MANILA, Philippines — President Rodrigo R. Duterte’s order to clean up top tourist destination Boracay Island can be done within the six-month period.

“That target is doable,” said National Solid Waste Management Commission Secretariat executive director Eligio Ildefonso even as he noted that the cooperation of stakeholders would be key to achieving the goal.

“NSWMC personnel were able to clear a dumpsite there in less than a month last year so more can be done if everyone in Boracay will help clean up and avoid worsening pollution in that island,” he said.

Ildefonso stressed urgency, saying he had observed solid wastes along parts of Boracay’s shores during low tide.

Earlier, the Department of Environment and Natural Resources said it had issued notices of violation to 51 establishments there for not complying with RA 9275 (Philippine Clean Water Act of 2004), which requires all commercial and residential establishments to dispose septic waste through a treatment facility.