DPWH opens 2 additional lanes on Commonwealth Avenue

SHARE
DPWH Sec. Mark Villar leads the opening of the additional lanes on Commonwealth Avenue. DPWH HANDOUT PHOTO

MANILA – The Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) opened Wednesday, May 31, 2017 two additional lanes on the southbound direction of Commonwealth Avenue in Quezon City.

The southbound segment at Commonwealth from Zuzuarregui Street to Vila Beatriz Street has been widened from five lanes to seven.

“We have settled right-of-way claims of informal settler families (ISF) so we were able to push through with opening of 2 additional lanes along Commonwealth. Another one (1) lane will be added once the utility posts are relocated,” said DPWH Secretary Mark A. Villar, who led the opening of the lanes.

The additional two lanes covering 391 lineal meters were made possible by effective communication and coordination between the stakeholders – the National Housing Authority, the local government, and the ISFs previously occupying the road right-of-way.

“The project, which had an allocation of P41 million for Phase 1 and P9 million for its Phase 2 involves the clearing of existing illegal structures of about 392 ISFs, construction of retaining wall, embankment, and road concreting,” Villar said.

The project also covers flood control and pedestrian-friendly components such as the installation of a 910-milimeter diameter reinforced concrete pipe culvert (RCPC), and construction of concrete curb and gutter, and a 2.5-meter wide sidewalk.