WATCH | Ombudsman ‘closes, terminates’ probe on Trillanes’ complaint vs Duterte

SHARE

MANILA, Philippines — The Office of the Ombudsman said it had “closed and terminated” the investigation on the complaint of Senator Antonio Trillanes IV about President Rodrigo Duterte’s alleged bank accounts.

It was also for this reason that it was turning down the request of Solicitor General Jose Calida, who wrote the Ombudsman a letter on February 8, 2018, to get a copy of the complaint.

“In reply to your letter…please be informed that the investigation on the complaint entitled “Antonio F. Trillanes IV v. Rodrigo Roa Duterte” and docketed as FF-M-16-0161 was already closed and terminated,” according to the letter sent to Calida, which was signed by Deputy Ombudsman Melchor Carandang.

The recommendation to terminate the investigation was approved by Deputy Ombudsman Cyril Ramos on November 29, 2017.

“Anent to your request for a copy of the complaint and its attachments, the office regrets to inform you that, per its existing policy, it cannot do so as said documents remain confidential,” the letter added.

Malacañang suspended Carandang last month over the investigation of the President’s alleged bank accounts, but Ombudsman Conchita Carpio Morales has yet to implement the suspension.

The reply letter of Carandang was posted by Calida in his Twitter account.

In his post, he said, “The @OmbudsmanPh, as protector of the people, has constitutional duty to publicize matters covered by investigations when the circumstances so warrant. Why withhold this information from the people?”

In a news conference, Magdalo party-list Rep. Gary Alejano expressed confidence that the Ombudsman would rule that the bank accounts indeed belonged to Duterte.

“It is of public interest that once and for all, let’s put to rest the issue of this hidden wealth,” he said.

Albay Rep. Edcel Lagman said the public would await the results of the findings of the Ombudsman.