PDEA chief surprised over Mark Anthony Fernandez’s drug raps acquittal

SHARE
PDEA director general Aaron Aquino in his official government photo and actor Mark Anthony Fernandez in his mug shot taken by Edd Gumban for the Philippine Star.

The former regional director of the Philippine National Police (PNP) in Central Luzon and now director general of the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA), Aaron Aquino, on Wednesday expressed surprise over the acquittal of TV and movie actor Mark Anthony Fernandez, who was charged with marijuana possession in Pampanga.

“I am personally surprised by the acquittal of Mr. Mark Anthony Fernandez, who during my time as regional director of PNP-Region 3, was apprehended for possession of 1 kilo of marijuana,” Aquino said in a statement.

Police in Angeles, Pampanga collared Fernandez in October last year for allegedly transporting the marijuana, with an estimated street value of PHP15,000.

Judge Ireneo Pangilinan Jr. of the Angeles City Regional Trial Court Branch 58 said he had to release Fernandez due to “procedural breaches” committed by Angeles policemen in handling the evidence against the actor.

Aquino, however, said that he would still respect the rule of law and that he would support the PNP in whatever legal action it would undertake against Fernandez.

He also vowed to “continue to wage the campaign against illegal drugs in the whole 
country as PDEA chief.”

Fernandez is the son of actress and politician Alma Moreno and the late actor Rudy Fernandez.